RC PLEASE bring more ships to Galveston!

Thanks RCCL. Leaving from Galveston is PITA. It cost us $300.00 RT to get there IAH. We try to leave from airports that are easy to get to.

While your statement is true, it is not Royal Caribbean's fault.

Where do you find this kind of demographic information? I Would like to see it.

I've attended several travel shows over the past few years, and RCI has been well represented. The reps (including a couple of folks higher up on the management ladder) told me pretty much what's been repeated here and in other threads: there simply aren't enough numbers to sustain more than one year-round ship in Galveston (actually two, since Carnival also does 4- and 5-nighters). Again, it is not easily accessible by air from everywhere; therefore most people drive to the port. The Alaska and Europe seasons kick in during the spring. The itineraries can't be very creative because of the Gulf location. RCI is finally returning to New Orleans after Katrina. All of these factors dilute the number of possible passengers. One of the supervisors stated that RCI has done numerous studies, all of which have reached the same conclusion. While here, the RCI ships do very well, and there are no plans to leave. But unless Carnival decides to pull out, the likelihood of a year-round RCI ship in Galveston is remote at best.

I've attended several travel shows over the past few years, and RCI has been well represented. The reps (including a couple of folks higher up on the management ladder) told me pretty much what's been repeated here and in other threads: there simply aren't enough numbers to sustain more than one year-round ship in Galveston (actually two, since Carnival also does 4- and 5-nighters). Again, it is not easily accessible by air from everywhere; therefore most people drive to the port. The Alaska and Europe seasons kick in during the spring. The itineraries can't be very creative because of the Gulf location. RCI is finally returning to New Orleans after Katrina. All of these factors dilute the number of possible passengers. One of the supervisors stated that RCI has done numerous studies, all of which have reached the same conclusion. While here, the RCI ships do very well, and there are no plans to leave. But unless Carnival decides to pull out, the likelihood of a year-round RCI ship in Galveston is remote at best.

Sorry...I simply do not believe this is true and my TA doesn't either. This is something she and I have discussed many times. There were two RCL ships that sailed year round from Galveston for several years in addition the two Carnival ships. They sailed full all the time as do the current 6 months stints that RCL does. Our sailing in Nov. has NO suites left and NO balcony staterooms more than 6 mos. prior to the departure date!

Oh, and did y'all know that prices for most sailings on Voyager from Venice this upcoming summer are the same and in some cases are even cheaper than sailings for Mariner from Galveston this upcoming winter? Something's seriously wrong with that picture! :eek: Prices should naturally be higher during the summer for any ship from any destination. Most of Mariner's prices this upcoming winter from Galveston are $600+, and Voyager's prices this upcoming summer from Venice are in the $500-600 range. Heck, even Carnival Conquest's fares from Galveston are higher than some of RCCL's fares in Europe. And Carnival is usually cheaper than Royal Caribbean!

I was looking at prices for Europe next summer sailing from Rome (Civitavecchia - well, however you spell it!) and I could get a better price there than could on some of the RCI Galveston sailings next winter. Just sayin...

Cruise lines operate on a simple premise ... follow the money! Not being anchored (pun unintended) to a single location, it's pretty elementary. If there were not better opportunities for profit elsewhere, none of the ships would have left Galveston. By committing to this venue year-round, RCI (or any cruise line, for that matter) would be abandoning high-profit itineraries in Alaska and especially Europe. Contrary to what many believe, summer cruises to the Caribbean are not in high demand, even though the kids are out of school. In recent years, there have been fewer options, even out of Florida ... lots of threads complaining about this very topic. There's also competition from theme parks and other land-based destinations. Believe me, if RCI, Princess or any other cruise line saw the chance to make more money sailing from Galveston than Seattle, Southampton, Venice, or any other port, they'd have ships here. There's absolutely no question about RCI filling each sail date. Otherwise, the Voyager (or Mariner, as of this fall) would likely be homeported elsewhere.

It's all about numbers. For example, as the California economy seriously tanked, RCI and others began to leave ... the situation in Mexico contributed a bit, but ships weren't sailing full before that. Even selling 7-night cruises for $199 didn't produce 100% capacity. The demographics showed that the #1 location of passengers was SoCal ... #2 was NoCal. With 13% unemployment, the prognosis was guarded at best. While certainly not as dour in this part of the country, the facts according to RCI don't support a year-round ship ... and they're Royal Caribbean's toys, so they can do as they please. They're making plenty of money elsewhere. As of now, there's no need to change ... but one never knows.

I agree with Carguylee. Where did you get this info and that Galveston can only handle one ship??? Carnival has 2 year round ships now. If Galveston couldn't handle the two ships they have in the summer now, Carnival wouldn't be replacing them with even larger ships.

Oh, and did y'all know that prices for most sailings on Voyager from Venice this upcoming summer are the same and in some cases are even cheaper than sailings for Mariner from Galveston this upcoming winter? Something's seriously wrong with that picture! :eek: Prices should naturally be higher during the summer for any ship from any destination. Most of Mariner's prices this upcoming winter from Galveston are $600+, and Voyager's prices this upcoming summer from Venice are in the $500-600 range. Heck, even Carnival Conquest's fares from Galveston are higher than some of RCCL's fares in Europe. And Carnival is usually cheaper than Royal Caribbean!

Yeah that's why we booked really early...15 months early I think. Prices were still $479, which was a better deal than Magic at the time. Noticed like you however that it's at like $649 now or something like that. Glad we booked when we did.

So what are the names of the travel shows you have went to? Are they open to the public?

I don't believe that the Splendour was there year round - only in the winter time. Or, at least that was the case when we sailed on her twice.

The Rhapsody used to have a route that went to Key West (then Grand Cayman and Cozumel). Wish they'd bring that option back. Once a month (I believe), Carnival goes to Key West and then onto the Bahamas. It's just plain nice to have a different choice or two.

Cruise lines operate on a simple premise ... follow the money! Not being anchored (pun unintended) to a single location, it's pretty elementary. If there were not better opportunities for profit elsewhere, none of the ships would have left Galveston. By committing to this venue year-round, RCI (or any cruise line, for that matter) would be abandoning high-profit itineraries in Alaska and especially Europe. Contrary to what many believe, summer cruises to the Caribbean are not in high demand, even though the kids are out of school. In recent years, there have been fewer options, even out of Florida ... lots of threads complaining about this very topic. There's also competition from theme parks and other land-based destinations. Believe me, if RCI, Princess or any other cruise line saw the chance to make more money sailing from Galveston than Seattle, Southampton, Venice, or any other port, they'd have ships here. There's absolutely no question about RCI filling each sail date. Otherwise, the Voyager (or Mariner, as of this fall) would likely be homeported elsewhere.

It's all about numbers. For example, as the California economy seriously tanked, RCI and others began to leave ... the situation in Mexico contributed a bit, but ships weren't sailing full before that. Even selling 7-night cruises for $199 didn't produce 100% capacity. The demographics showed that the #1 location of passengers was SoCal ... #2 was NoCal. With 13% unemployment, the prognosis was guarded at best. While certainly not as dour in this part of the country, the facts according to RCI don't support a year-round ship ... and they're Royal Caribbean's toys, so they can do as they please. They're making plenty of money elsewhere. As of now, there's no need to change ... but one never knows.

First, If Caribbean cruises in the summer are not in high demand, why are prices so much higher in the summer than in the winter? The main reason is because kids and teachers are out of school, and that's the only time they can cruise, despite what you say. Also, there isn't enough supply for the demand, because so many of the ships have left for the now oversaturated Europe, where there is too much supply for the demand. That's why prices in Europe (and I've noticed especially Venice) are lower and continue to fall.

And it is VERY questionable whether or not RCCL can fill all their ships in Europe during the summer. Prices in most cases are cheaper in Europe than in the Caribbean during the summer. I'm not sure what is hard to understand about that. Heck, prices on a per-night basis from both ships based in Venice in the summer are comparable to prices on a per-night basis for various ships throughout the Caribbean in the winter when fares are much cheaper throughout! (Not including Oasis and Allure, which are understandibly higher than most other Caribbean ships.) It's a part of supply and demand - Too much supply for the demand results in low fares for Europe. I can see them having trouble filling ships in Europe. Especially in Venice where the fares are really cheap.

And as for what you said about how Royal Caribbean can do as they please with the deployment of their ships, you are correct. (Yes, I just said that.) But that's not the way for RCCL to please their customers. (Or would-be customers who end up not booking with them due to poor deployments.)

And if they were to pull a ship (or two) out of Europe, it would be best for it to go out of Galveston because other areas of the US are already covered by RCCL. (Except California, but they had a problem filling Mariner.) Fares would be fairly high from Galveston. Look at Carnival's prices from Galveston (For 7 nighters) compared to Carnival's prices in other areas of the US like Port Canaveral (For 7 nighters). They're higher in Galveston than in Port Canaveral. Prices in Galveston might fall to PC levels though with increased competition. But that's still better than Europe.

I don't believe that the Splendour was there year round - only in the winter time. Or, at least that was the case when we sailed on her twice.

The Rhapsody used to have a route that went to Key West (then Grand Cayman and Cozumel). Wish they'd bring that option back. Once a month (I believe), Carnival goes to Key West and then onto the Bahamas. It's just plain nice to have a different choice or two.

I am thinking the same thing. I don't remember the Splendour being in Galveston YR.

I highly doubt Carnival will pull out of Galveston any time soon. Galveston is one of Carnival's highest earning ports.

Just a bump, looking forward to hearing the names of the travle shows and if they are open to the public. Thanks

Yeah, I think I was wrong about the Splendour OTS. I guess I did only sail her in winter. Rhapsody OTS was year-round though.

Carguy - there are many cruise and travel shows open to the public. Most are sponsored by cruise travel agencies. They are at local convention and hotels several times a year. The Dallas area has several and the cruise lines have reps there to answer questions and of course sell and provide brochures etc.

I got specific info from a RCI rep when they pulled Rhapsody from Galveston after being year round for close to 7 years. While the ship did sustain itself year round, there was simply MORE money in Europe. They did say that the onboard spending was quite low however and it played a factor - this was back in the days of massive booze smuggling though and they have really stepped up enforcement on that.

Sure there will be some competition next year but Disney is only here 3 months and Princess is only here 4. Carnival and RCCL are not going anywhere but until something changes in Europe or they keep building ships and end up having to put one somewhere, we probably won't get a full time ship in the foreseeable future. At least they come in earlier now - the first few years Voyager didn't get here until close to Christmas. The last year they came in right before Thanksgiving and Mariner is coming early November. Every little bit helps. :)

Carguy - there are many cruise and travel shows open to the public. Most are sponsored by cruise travel agencies. They are at local convention and hotels several times a year. The Dallas area has several and the cruise lines have reps there to answer questions and of course sell and provide brochures etc.

I got specific info from a RCI rep when they pulled Rhapsody from Galveston after being year round for close to 7 years. While the ship did sustain itself year round, there was simply MORE money in Europe. They did say that the onboard spending was quite low however and it played a factor - this was back in the days of massive booze smuggling though and they have really stepped up enforcement on that.

Sure there will be some competition next year but Disney is only here 3 months and Princess is only here 4. Carnival and RCCL are not going anywhere but until something changes in Europe or they keep building ships and end up having to put one somewhere, we probably won't get a full time ship in the foreseeable future. At least they come in earlier now - the first few years Voyager didn't get here until close to Christmas. The last year they came in right before Thanksgiving and Mariner is coming early November. Every little bit helps. :)

Thanks. The main reason I ask is since that same person always says the same thing (seem to follow the galveston threads) but never gives any source information.

So how do you find out when these travel shows are going on? Any website or anything I could look at to find out when? I think I would enjoy it.

I always find it interesting how supporters of bringing a specific ship or cruise line to a specific port think they know more about what's best for the cruise line than the cruise line itself knows!:D

Yeah kind of like the people who always want to bring them down also. :D

Thanks. The main reason I ask is since that same person always says the same thing (seem to follow the galveston threads) but never gives any source information.

So how do you find out when these travel shows are going on? Any website or anything I could look at to find out when? I think I would enjoy it.

Yeah kind of like the people who always want to bring them down also. :D

Travel shows are usually widely advertised in the local media. If it is a cruise night sponsored by a travel agency, their office or their website will usually spread the word within their local community. In the Boston area, the Boston Globe and AAA sponsor large travel shows annually.

As far as wanting to bring people down, perhaps it is only an attempt to inject a dash of reality into the thread so that people can better understand why some of their expectations stand litttle likelihood of coming to fruition. :) Telling someone you can't always get what you want isn't bringing them down, merely stating what should be obvious.

Travel shows are usually widely advertised in the local media. If it is a cruise night sponsored by a travel agency, their office or their website will usually spread the word within their local community. In the Boston area, the Boston Globe and AAA sponsor large travel shows annually.

As far as wanting to bring people down, perhaps it is only an attempt to inject a dash of reality into the thread so that people can better understand why some of their expectations stand litttle likelihood of coming to fruition. :) Telling someone you can't always get what you want isn't bringing them down, merely stating what should be obvious.

True. "Bringing them down" probably wasn't the most accurate way to state it. However when the same people comment the same thing on every thread on that topic...it makes me wonder what the real adgenda is. It's so often i want to know where they are getting their information that they feel the need to comment what seems like EVERY time. Or are they just talking out of their butt to sound like they know something. ;)

Having sailed 3X out of Galveston, count me as one who switched and took advantage of the cheaper Venice prices. Driving to Galveston helped in saving up airline miles which came in handy for Europe where the price of airfare is at least 1.5 times the cost of the cruise (an that if you book at least 3 mos. in advance). I had to do some creative thinking on which airport to fly out of to use my FF miles even then.

My hubby was simply bored with the ports out of Galveston and (warning- snotty remark) we would never consider Carnival---same ports and did NOT like the people we met from the Carnival cruises.

We honeymooned on Princess and can't wait for her arrival to Galveston and as we like their product better will be switching to them (even if the ports are the same).

Personally, I am going to wait till the new ships to Galveston start getting reviews, then I will take my travel plans from there.

If Carnival Magic is a hit, we might try it. Not sure about Disney because my son is 11 right now. Depends how many activities for tweens. I will have to look at Princess.

Right now! It is ALL about FOS in our house!

Archived