Lido & Canaletto

Seabreeze8

Hello,

Can someone tell me the hours that Lido is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night buffet? Anyplace else you can eat during the off hours (other than room service)?

Also does Canaletto serve only italien food? I seem to recall that there is no charge for this restaurant. What are their hours?

My in-laws will be on Statendam next month for the first time and they are foodies and I want to make them as happy as possible. Thanks very much! :)

Not sure on the lido hours but it has always been open before we arrived in the morning. In the evening they have a snack at 11 also, which changes every night (American, Italian, Chinese, etc). The Canaletto is pretty much Italian food, but does have a good variety so there should be something for everyone. We liked it so much that we at there 4x on a 14day cruise.

For some reason I can't edit my post above. I just wanted to add that you can get a slice of pizza or hamburger or hotdog during the day. I haven't been on the Statendam, but assume it is similar to the Ryndam and Rotterdam. Someone else can confirm.

lido continental breakfast usually opens at 6:30 and the main buffet at 7 or 7:30 - depends on whether it is a sea day or port - closes around 10:30

lunch opens at 11:30 and closes around 2 or 2:30 -- but the sandwiches, salads, desserts will still be open till about 4 or 4:30

dinner in the lido is from 5:30 - 8

there is also the terrace grill where you can get hamburgers, hot dogs and on the statendam the taco station is located here

the canaletto opens at 5:30 and closes at 9

Hello,

Can someone tell me the hours that Lido is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night buffet? Anyplace else you can eat during the off hours (other than room service)? Generally Lido has continental breakfast starting at 6:00, regular at 6:30, but can slide those times back as much as an hour depending on port schedules. It usually almost, but not totally closes at 10:30 to set up for lunch, which usually starts at 11. It doesn't totally close in the afternoon, but service is limited. IIRC correctly, dinner starts at 5 or 5:30. IIRC dinner is served until about 8.

Also does Canaletto serve only italien food? I seem to recall that there is no charge for this restaurant. What are their hours? Only Italian. 5 or 5:30 to 8 or 8:30.

My in-laws will be on Statendam next month for the first time and they are foodies and I want to make them as happy as possible. Thanks very much! :)

As mentioned, those hours can slide a little due to port schedules.

We really enjoyed dinners in the Canaletto when we were on the Statendam. The menu is the same every night, but we worked our way through the entire menu over a 28 day cruise. We liked the food and the service. It was much quicker than the MDR. Our other Statendam favorite was the Pinnacle. We were there 5 nights plus Le Cirque night. Fabulous! We did eat in the MDR as well. We preferred Canaletto and Pinnacle.

As for the Lido, we prefer being served for dinner. We enjoyed breakfast and lunches in the Lido.

I don't know when the Canaletto opened for dinner on our Veendam cruise, but it stayed open until 9:30pm. I was doing so much sightseeing one night, that it was either the Canaletto or room service, as it was after 9:00pm and the main dining room was by then closed. Luckily the Canaletto was still open, and I had a wonderful meal there.

Our other Statendam favorite was the Pinnacle. We were there 5 nights plus Le Cirque night. Fabulous!

What is Le Cirque night? Is it available on every cruise? My in-laws are on a 5-night cruise this month and then a 7-night cruise to Alaska in August. Thank you!

Le Cirque will not be offered on the 5 night coastal cruise

but it will be offered on their alaskan cruise

they need to log into hal's site -- then go to their reservations -- click onto dinner rreservations -- 2 windows will pop up -- one to make resrvations for the pinnacle and another for le cirque -- this will show the night that it is offered

the price is $39 per person

The first Le Cirque on the Nieuw Amsterdam was on Dec 2.

And it was excellent!!

The special place settings and decorations had not arrived but the food and service by the Pinnacle staff was great.

The meal was $39 per person and you could buy for $20 per person a special wine offering which was 3 glasses selected for the special dinner.

Each person was first srved an Amuse (just like the regular Pinnacle offers). It was Pate Foi Gras -- goose liver mousse with rhubarb chutney -- very good.

The appetizer was Lobster Salad "Le Cirque" -- poached lobster with haricot and citrus (I will post at a later time the recipe foe this)

Soup - Sweet Corn Soup -- prepared table side. On the bottom of the soup bowl were ground corn fritters, wood ear mushrooms and some whole kernals of corn. The corn soup -- nice and thick and very tasty with a hint of basil -- was served from a tureen.

There were 3 choices for the main menu:

Wild Halibut with leek fondue, Rocca Di Fransinello sauce -- DH had this - very flaky and tasty.

Rack of Lamb - goat cheese panisse, artichokes and arugula -- I had this -- excellent -- very tasty and meaty lamb chops -- got 2 big double ones.

Cote de Boeuf - (aged prime rib steak) - horseradish flan, sweet and sour baby beets for two. Can't comment on this.

Side Dishes:

Seasonal vegetables -- DH had them -- a mixture broccoli, summer squash, cauliflower, bamboo shoots, zuccini in a truffle oil -- excellent.

Pommes Dauphine -- I had them -- mashed potatoes made into tiny puffs and quickly fried -- good -- hot and crunchy.

Desserts:

Chocolate Souffle -- we passed on this as we had already had a couple of chocolate souffles in the Pinnacle.

Creme Brulee Le Cirque -- we both had it and loved it -- recipe will be posted at a later time.

Assortment of Sorbets - again we did not try them - so - no comment.

When we sat down we were each served a glass of sparkling wine.

For the appetizer and soup we were each served a glass of Ruffino Pinot Grigio, Italy - juicy white peaches and citrus with a flinty-minerality (glass $8; bottle $39)

For the entree we were served Villa Florita Barbera D'Asti Superiore, Italy - persistent and intense, yet warm and harmonic (glass $10; bottle $54)

If you didn't want to go with that offering you could order anything from the list below -- all prices are for the bottle.

White Wine

Michel Redde Pouilly Fime, France - highly expressive nose and a mouth-smaking finish - $59

Cloudy Bat Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand - herbaceous flavors with hints of citrus fruits - $78

Marques de Caceres, Spain - delicious flavors of pears and apples - $29

Laboure-Roi Pouilly Fuisse, France - collage of white fruits flavors, lively floral undertones - $54

Franciscan Chardonnay, California - lively and lengthy on the palate with a great body - $47

Conundrum, California - peach, apricot, green melon and pear - $39

Red Wine

Meridian Pinot Noir, Italy - bing cherry with hints of strawberry, roses and violets - $37

Chateau Ste Michelle, Canon Ridge Merlot, Washington - a medium to full bodied rich, berry flavored long finish wine - $69

Perrin Reserve Cotes Du Rhone, France - full bodied, rich fruit with peppery finish - $39

Beringer Founders Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, California - bursts with cassis, black fruit and sweet brown spice - $39

Arboleda Carmenerem Chile - dark berries with plum, dark cherries and violets - $49

Castello Banfi Brunello Di Montalcino, Italy - soft and velvety with licorice, spices and cherry notes - $108

Thanks so much, Krazy Kruizers! Just what I'm looking for. Now all I need to do is to translate the menu and the wine list and my in-laws can decide for themselves. Thanks again! Have a great weekend! :)

Archived