hubbard glacier or college fjord

momx8

we are planning our first trip to alaska and are looking at princess. The north bound does hubbard and south bound does college fjord. Which is better?

In my opinion, it isn't a "better" issue, and I wont choose. :) Both are well worth the time to see.

I would suggest you look at your WHOLE itinerary. Are port times the same?? Are there priority tours for you, that fit better with one direction?? Time of trip? Are you doing a short cruisetour? Interior Alaska touring??

All these factors, plus many more could come into play over just a "better" question, perhaps?

BOTH, will offer you a great cruise.

Better is a relative word, IMHO the cruise up and back on colledge fjord was wonderful, but I hear Hubbard is spectacular.

I'm surprised you can't find a cruise that does Glacier Bay? That would be the one I'd pick.

both ways include glacier bay. better is probably not the right word, but i dont know much about college fjord and all the other ports are the same. so, the choice is between college and hubbard.

It used to be that southbound Princess went to Hubbard and Glacier Bay. Now it will be NB? If it were me, I would do Glacier Bay and Hubbard, then do College Fjord/Prince William Sound on your own upon arrival in Whittier. Then you get all three, which is a great combination if your interest is in glaciers.

It used to be that southbound Princess went to Hubbard and Glacier Bay. Now it will be NB? If it were me, I would do Glacier Bay and Hubbard, then do College Fjord/Prince William Sound on your own upon arrival in Whittier. Then you get all three, which is a great combination if your interest is in glaciers.

That's What I'm doing in a few wks. Glacier Bay and Hubbard Bay, W/ Princess William Sound/ 26 glaciers before cruise.

So do you mean that if the itinerary includes the College Fjord, then Princes William Sound is not that necessary? College Fjord is the same as Princes William Sound cruise itineray? Thanks

So do you mean that if the itinerary includes the College Fjord, then Princes William Sound is not that necessary? College Fjord is the same as Princes William Sound cruise itineray? Thanks

No that is not what I mean at all. My example was just trying to find a way for the OP to visit all three.

College Fjord is in PWS, but the day cruises could go to different areas of PWS, and in any case, they get closer to the glaciers and wildlife than the large cruise ships do.

No that is not what I mean at all. My example was just trying to find a way for the OP to visit all three.

College Fjord is in PWS, but the day cruises could go to different areas of PWS, and in any case, they get closer to the glaciers and wildlife than the large cruise ships do.

Thanks for letting me know more details. I'm glad to book it as the last part of our trip.:)

Thanks for letting me know further info. I'm glad we booked it as the last part of our trip. :)

It is a great area to visit on a boat. I booked a 10-hour PWS boat tour for this summer and am really looking forward to it.

My son and son-in-law just returned from 4 nights camping in College Fjord. One of their highlights was a humpback they saw breaching. Lots of floating ice still. Gorgeous area!

Personally I would go for Hubbard. I loved both Glacier Bay and College Fjord, but found them to be somewhat similar. From photos of Hubbard Glacier, that will be a much different experience. As already mentioned, you can add a tour to PWS through Whittier and get the best of all worlds.

Personally I would go for Hubbard. I loved both Glacier Bay and College Fjord, but found them to be somewhat similar. From photos of Hubbard Glacier, that will be a much different experience. As already mentioned, you can add a tour to PWS through Whittier and get the best of all worlds.

I agree, Hubbard would be my choice as well for the same reason. Hubbard is like no other glacier that you will see. It's just so huge in comparison to anything else.

I don't think the OP identified you they were sailing with....but if I had to choose between Hubbard Glacier and College Fjord, I would choose the Hubbard Glacier.

OP stated they are looking at Princess. One direction being Glacier Bay and Hubbard and the other direction being Glacier Bay and College Fjords.

OP stated they are looking at Princess. One direction being Glacier Bay and Hubbard and the other direction being Glacier Bay and College Fjords.

Missed that, thanks. Having done the Princess "Voyage of the Glaciers" itinerary in either direction, for sure I would do southbound as it includes includes both the Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. The northbound does Glacier Bay and College Fjord which in my opinion is not as spectacular.

i have been on two Alaskan Cruise one went to the Sawyer Glacier and the other went to the College Fjord. Both were nice, but not as spectacular as I have would have expected. I will be going on the Southbound Diamond Princess from Whittier in two weeks hoping visitng Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay hoping to have a better Glacier experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning our trip to Alaska for 2012. I went 25 yrs ago and saw College Fjord & Glacier Bay. I'm torn between a SB Princess that includes Hubbard but goes out of Wittier or a SB HAL that does PWS but we can do a Kenai Fjord Nat'l Park cruise before we board. Both ships will do Glacier Bay.

I'm planning an independent land portion before we cruise. Haven't figured out how many days yet - it keeps getting longer.

Any recommendations would help

I'm planning our trip to Alaska for 2012. I went 25 yrs ago and saw College Fjord & Glacier Bay. I'm torn between a SB Princess that includes Hubbard but goes out of Wittier or a SB HAL that does PWS but we can do a Kenai Fjord Nat'l Park cruise before we board. Both ships will do Glacier Bay.

I'm planning an independent land portion before we cruise. Haven't figured out how many days yet - it keeps getting longer.

Alaska is all about choices. Kenai Fords will be a tour with a wildlife focus. I think you need to decide what you would enjoy more...a massive glacier or a chance to take a small boat tour with many opportunites to see significant wildlife up close. Good luck!!

It's not out of the question to visit Seward but sail out of Whittier. Many have done it. Generally it works best to head straight to Seward from Anchorage then head north - Denali, etc. - then return to Anchorage and head to Whittier. Really depends on how many days/nights you have.

It's not out of the question to visit Seward but sail out of Whittier. Many have done it. Generally it works best to head straight to Seward from Anchorage then head north - Denali, etc. - then return to Anchorage and head to Whittier. Really depends on how many days/nights you have.

Thanks frugaltravel & vbmom. Doing Seward but going Princess would just add more time so the DH decided he would rather see smaller glaciers and more wild life that a really big glacier.

So much planning is going into this trip. And I thought planning for B2B Black Sea/Greek Isles cruises was long!

Archived