Chartered Cruise Options

Just informed our planned seven day PG Cruise has been Chartered. We had been planning to be sailing July 23rd. Leaving passengers to rebook. PG is offering 50% off on same category rebooking for 2011, but I booked my own Air and I am having no luck with moving air to catch a new date in July. Anyone have advise or experience with bumping after final payment.

If PG is bumping you after final payment they should be giving you a free cruise plus your money back. You should also make a case for recovering the cost of cancelling your air as well.

I am really surprized that they would do this after final payment.

Wow, does PG do this frequently? We hope to cruise in 2012 and purchase our own air also. My husband and I both schedule our vacations at least one year in advance for our work. If our cruise were chartered a few months before we were to leave we would not be able to change plans but would have to just do our own island hopping. I hope this is not the norm for PG.

This is the first time I am hearing of this!

Regent however is doing a lot of bumping due to over booking but the deal offered is sometimes too good to be true.

Don't know about the PG, but it's not unheard of. Unusual, however. I'm sure Regent, in the past as Radisson at least, would have *reimbursed you* for your lost air--i.e., made you "whole". I would push them back on that.

Then again, I always buy insurance when I book expensive air like that, against these contingencies.

It's very disappointing, I can imagine that. Can PG Cruises not help you find air for another cruise?

The travel agent I use usually has the chartered cruises on their schedule. I guess I am surprised PG Cruises is not more cooperative. I guess another reason to book air through PG Cruises.

I went ahead and cancelled the cruise. My travel agent never tried to push for me. Lesson one. Get and keep a great Agent for any Luxury cruise. Avoid Air Consildators on islands with limited airline service. It is impossible to get rebooked should you need to make a change. Lesson two. Watch for fare class to ensure flexibility. Be prepared to be left at the dock. If the cruise line can make more money by Chartering the ship. Lesson three. Stay with cruise lines that are not in finacial trouble. It's back to Silversea for me.

Someday I will get to see these islands of Tahiti. From all the information from Critic Critic they are very Special.

I would really pursue your loss.

Give PG cruises a call and ask to speak to a supervisor. And then a VP if necessary. There is no reason why you should incur a loss if they decided to cancel at the last minute.

Just informed our planned seven day PG Cruise has been Chartered. We had been planning to be sailing July 23rd. Leaving passengers to rebook. PG is offering 50% off on same category rebooking for 2011, but I booked my own Air and I am having no luck with moving air to catch a new date in July. Anyone have advise or experience with bumping after final payment.

Are you saying that you just found out that a cruise you planned to take in July of THIS YEAR has just been chartered?

Sorry to read about your situation, Nevadashun. I've followed this board for about 5 years and can't remember reading about a cancellation on the PG so close to the sail date. We were thinking of taking a fourth cruise on the ship in 2013, but your experience gives me great pause, and doesn't reflect well on the new(ish) management.

I am sorry for your inconveniences nevadashaun and busterb. Unfortunately we may have to re think our PG trip as well. It would be impossible for us to move our vacation to another week since our schedules are booked way in advance. I hope I can talk my DH to schedule anyway and take our chances then simply do our own island to island trip if it gets canceled. We will certainly get appropriate insurance including to cover if the cruise line folds or cancels for any reason.

Sorry to read about your situation, Nevadashun. I've followed this board for about 5 years and can't remember reading about a cancellation on the PG so close to the sail date. We were thinking of taking a fourth cruise on the ship in 2013, but your experience gives me great pause, and doesn't reflect well on the new(ish) management.

Me too. :(

Archived