Booking With US Sites & US TA's

Last weekend, I was looking at the Radisson of the Seas weekend cruise and attached is the costings and exchange rates used. This is only from the RCCL site, and was obtained by changing my location to US.

USDAUD Exchange Rate DELUXE/SUITESBitmap Royal Suite 2,499.001,805.00 1.3845 Bitmap Owner's Suite1,399.001,225.00 1.1420 Bitmap False False Bitmap Grand Suite 1,099.00975 1.1272 Bitmap Junior Suite799730 1.0945 BALCONYBitmap Superior Oceanview Stateroom579620 0.9339 Bitmap Superior Oceanview Stateroom 559570 0.9807 Bitmap Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom 539530 1.0170 Bitmap Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom510 - Bitmap Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom499500 0.9980 OUTSIDEBitmap Large Oceanview Stateroom309490 0.6306 Bitmap Large Oceanview Stateroom299480 0.6229 Bitmap Large Oceanview Stateroom289470 0.6149 Bitmap Large Oceanview Stateroom279470 0.5936 INTERIORBitmap Interior Stateroom 239460 0.5196 Bitmap Interior Stateroom229450 0.5089 Bitmap Interior Stateroom219450 0.4867 Bitmap Interior Stateroom209440 0.4750 Bitmap Interior Stateroom199440 0.4523

Interesting the exhange rates starts from .4523, especially since the AUD /USD has been close to or over 90 cents for such I long time. (I wonder if I can book here and use my US bank account and get the cheaper rate!)

This just shows how the OZ markert is been riped off!

Cheers

Michael:mad:

This was just taken from the RCCL site, and by coping in pasteing. At the top of the site it does state "change country" so I just change it for Australia and the when finished Australia change it to USA, and noticed the diffence in costings. ( I am sure once RCCL wakes up to this they will take that option off there website!)

Even today it is still allowing me to see the same price, however the tax is not included in this costing of USD 199.00, which is USD 13.10, room total per person USD 212.10 When change it to Australia the cost is as follows: Room AUD 440.00 perpaid gratuties AUD 21.03 and Taxes AUD 14.13 room total AUD 475.16 per person. ( Note that gratuties is not prepaid when paid in USD.)

Michael

Hi there

thanks very much for following this up with DFAT, do you think that we should concentrate on the high price charged by Oz TAs rather than restrictive practices by cruise lines in USA? As I said before it cost $AU1,200 more for a 15 day cruise and that is after converting the US price to AU $s. Is it just that the US is not giving Oz TAs access to cheap fares or is it that someone is making extra profit? I don't mind paying a bit extra to keep business in Oz but not that much.

I also don't really understand the part Princess Australia play in this, I would if it was only Princess who are restricted but its quite a few cruise lines and Carnival who own Princess aren't restricting their cruise sales.

If I can help let me know but it looks to me like you're doing a great job

Cheers

Joan

Thanks Joan, but the real problem is that the Australian cruise market is still in its infancy by comparison with the US market. As such, our market is growing and the vast majority of cruisers are new to the market and therefore a little naive about what is on offer elsewhere. As a result the cruise lines believe that they get away with charging inflated prices and providing second class service in our market because they reason that we don't know the difference. I guess that we are concentrating on P&O/Princess because they are the brands that that are best known in our local market, but there are certainly other cruise lines that are guilty of taking advantage of the perceived naivety of the Australian market, such as Holland America, Royal Caribbean, MSC etc. all of whom have instigated restrictive booking policies for Australians similar to P&O/Princess.

It is obvious that the majority of people who participate in this forum are seasoned cruisers and knowledgeable in the discriminatory pricing policies of the cruise lines and we need to unite and present a unified voice to the cruise lines in order to get them to rethink these discriminatory policies which cause Australians to be treated as second class citizens.

Garry

Yes, but the Australian merchant also needs to be answerable in over charging Australians.

The price an Australian merchant charges is not required to have any relationship to charges in other countries. Moreover it's extremely rare for a price here for any product to be comparable to a price overseas.

Why should we be restricted as to where we can purchase a cruise?

For consumer protection and regulation, it is typical to purchase in the state/country you reside. From a manufacturer's perspective, it is also more practical for sales to occur where local distributors are, to handle enquiries and resolve any issues, and avoid complications from different regulations, practices and understandings.

In cruises, consumers may elect to bypass such protections - but then it's ironic and unreasonable when they complain and blame others massively as they did last year when the AUD fell. Understandably, lines have enough legitimate complaints that they want to avoid communication complications and unreasonable complaints from customers booking outside their country.

not sure just how true it is, but, there was a very strong rumour going around whilst we were on rhapsody just now, that Oasis is to be sent to Aus in 2012-

It was told by a member of the staff

I know that by comparison, australia is in it's 'cruise infancy' but, our market is growing so strongly. It would be interesting to see if we could fill something so gigantic and then, where on earth could it tender. certainly Sydney Harbour would be 'out' .

Can't imagine Noumea, Vila or anywhere like that being appropriate...apparently 'over there' they had to build special terminals and ports for this ship, so, maybe it is just a rumour?

anyone else heard this one?

Raringtogo, wouldn't it be wonderful to see that ship here?

I can only imagine it would visit here as perhaps part of some sort of bigger tour though.

One thing that does intrigue me though is the fact that the ship is too big for most ports. I was watching it on a TV segment about a week ago and they said it was 'too big' to visit Australia.

If it is 'too big' to visit ports here, then it is probably too big for 99% of the world's ports?

I am guessing, I don't know.

But it raises the question-if you build a huge ship, knowing it won't fit in at most ports, then where does the money come from to build bigger ports? Should cities be expected to cough up more, or should the cruise line?

If the Oasis did visit here, wouldn't it be interesting to see the prices!

I know that over in the US, they are complaining that prices on it are very expensive, compared to other ships.

I can only imagine the prices here would be astronomical. It could even make a package to the US that included air fare/caribbean cruise on the Oasis look like a viable alternative.:)

Be interesting to see what happens.

Hi Garry

I think you're right, hopefully prices will stabilise in the future, in the meantime I'll still keep looking for a bargain. Let us know if you get a result from ACC.

Happy cruising

Cheers

Joan

not sure just how true it is, but, there was a very strong rumour going around whilst we were on rhapsody just now, that Oasis is to be sent to Aus in 2012- It was told by a member of the staff

I know that by comparison, australia is in it's 'cruise infancy' but, our market is growing so strongly. It would be interesting to see if we could fill something so gigantic and then, where on earth could it tender. certainly Sydney Harbour would be 'out' .Can't imagine Noumea, Vila or anywhere like that being appropriate...apparently 'over there' they had to build special terminals and ports for this ship, so, maybe it is just a rumour?

anyone else heard this one?

While it is certainlly a very nice thought to think we could see it down here,

I would not hold my breath waiting.

*Our ports are not big enough for it

*It wont fit through the Panama Canal, so would have to come around the long way.

*I dont think she was designed to carry enough fuel to get her across the Pacific without several refueling stops.

Why cant we pay the US price in US dollars?

In many cases we do.

When we cruise with HAL the prices are all in US dollars, and on each occassion the agent here has either been given a bank cheque in $US or we hand over a credit card and the whole cruise is charged to that.

The same thing happened with Regent.

They dont want Au or NZ dollars.

The price quoted on their web site, together with any special offers , is the price you pay . The same price as all Americans pay.

It is made payable to the cruise line ....

and the agents down here get their commission , or cut ,

paid to them later by the cruise line.

Some local agents will try and charge a deposit in the local currency

so they can get their cut straight away,

then the final payment can be made in US dollars,

but it usually well in the local agents favour and we have never done this....

and the cruise lines do not want you to either.

That is what I do too (pay in USD) Keep in mind when travelling on US ships also do not let the ship convert your onboard account otherwise they will use their conversion rate..not the usually preferential rate you can get by having your bank convert it when the credit card bill hits.

That is what I do too (pay in USD) Keep in mind when travelling on US ships also do not let the ship convert your onboard account otherwise they will use their conversion rate..not the usually preferential rate you can get by having your bank convert it when the credit card bill hits.

Yes, everyone, be very aware of this practice. I highlighted the area on the boarding summary where I asked to be charged in US $ on my credit card. I ticked it. I went to the pursers desk 4 days out from disembarkation and was assured that it would not be converted by Princess. I double checked 2 days out and again was assured by the pursers office that it would not be converted by princess.

Yep, you guessed it, they converted it and charged us 3% extra for the priviledge. Around $200 difference. As my card does not charge any fees with conversion and uses the days conversion rate we were well and truly out of pocket.

I went to the pursers desk to query why they have done the conversion and was assured that it was not going to happen that it was just a standard clause on all the statements. I even had the head purser assure me of this and I even got him to cross out the clause and sign it.

Well, guess what! When my credit card statement came in they HAD converted it themselves and charged me the extra.

I was lied to so many times I have lost count. I am now trying to get reimbursed from Princess cruises. Who by the way have not answered the repeated emails sent to head office from Princess Australia.

We were not the only ones to have this happen to. All the UK's onboard and all the Aussies that we knew had the same thing happen. A nice little bonus to fleece us Aussies and Brits just that little bit more.

I will let you know what the outcome of all this is. I will be much more perdantic about the statement when we are on the Diamond next year. I just never thought that so many different people would blatently lie about this on so many different ocassions.

Yes' date=' everyone, be very aware of this practice. I highlighted the area on the boarding summary where I asked to be charged in US $ on my credit card. I ticked it. I went to the pursers desk 4 days out from disembarkation and was assured that it would not be converted by Princess. I double checked 2 days out and again was assured by the pursers office that it would not be converted by princess.

Yep, you guessed it, they converted it and charged us 3% extra for the priviledge. Around $200 difference. As my card does not charge any fees with conversion and uses the days conversion rate we were well and truly out of pocket.

I went to the pursers desk to query why they have done the conversion and was assured that it was not going to happen that it was just a standard clause on all the statements. I even had the head purser assure me of this and I even got him to cross out the clause and sign it.

Well, guess what! When my credit card statement came in they HAD converted it themselves and charged me the extra.

I was lied to so many times I have lost count. I am now trying to get reimbursed from Princess cruises. Who by the way have not answered the repeated emails sent to head office from Princess Australia.

We were not the only ones to have this happen to. All the UK's onboard and all the Aussies that we knew had the same thing happen. A nice little bonus to fleece us Aussies and Brits just that little bit more.

I will let you know what the outcome of all this is. I will be much more perdantic about the statement when we are on the Diamond next year. I just never thought that so many different people would blatently lie about this on so many different ocassions.[/quote']

Do they lie about this, or are they ill informed about general procedures if requested to do this by by their guests.

I have to say sometimes I think the people working on the Guest Relations/Pursers Desk are not good listeners.

Jillybean

Do they lie about this, or are they ill informed about general procedures if requested to do this by by their guests.

I have to say sometimes I think the people working on the Guest Relations/Pursers Desk are not good listeners.

Jillybean

I would have thought it was just a simple mistake were it not for the fact that I deliberately asked them on 4 different occassions and this was with 4 different people one of whom was the chief purser. He was the one that crossed it out and signed it to say that it was incorrect. Why would they have the question at the bottom of the summary sheet if they didn't know what it meant. I think they are fully aware of what they are doing, they have many non USA passengers on board each cruise.

I would have thought it was just a simple mistake were it not for the fact that I deliberately asked them on 4 different occassions and this was with 4 different people one of whom was the chief purser. He was the one that crossed it out and signed it to say that it was incorrect. Why would they have the question at the bottom of the summary sheet if they didn't know what it meant. I think they are fully aware of what they are doing' date=' they have many non USA passengers on board each cruise.[/quote']

To avoid the hassle, I just go to the pursers desk the night before we leave and pay my account then. It is charged in USD without question. If there are any minor charges after this the conversion is very small.

It works for us.

Linda

To avoid the hassle, I just go to the pursers desk the night before we leave and pay my account then. It is charged in USD without question. If there are any minor charges after this the conversion is very small.

It works for us.

Linda

Yeah, I have learnt now, I will never trust them to do the right thing again. I also will now go to the pursers desk and pay myself the night before we disembark.

Yeah' date=' I have learnt now, I will never trust them to do the right thing again. I also will now go to the pursers desk and pay myself the night before we disembark.[/quote']

Are you saying that you pay cash and you are not giving them your credit card details in future?

Rosie

Are you saying that you pay cash and you are not giving them your credit card details in future?

Rosie

Still pay by credit card but instead of the automatic account settlement,(which leaves them wide open to charge in AUD if they choose) you just use your card and pay at the pursers desk on the last night. It is charged in USD.

Or cash works too.

Linda

I have to say sometimes I think the people working on the Guest Relations/Pursers Desk are not good listeners. Jillybean

I dont think for one moment they lie Jilly.

A lot of them are fresh faced kids who simply pass on the information they have been told to say.

We had one "run in" that could have been easily sorted out, but the "kids" on the desk did not have the authourity to access the computer , to make the changes, and they had been told under no circumstances to disturb the seniors, who could have done it in an instant.

Another tip to avoid the above situation is to go to the front desk just before the end of your cruise , and if you have some $US left over , put them into your account, then they know your account is in US$

Rosie

No what I meant was that I will go to the pursers desk the night before and ask them to do the transaction then and stand there and make sure they do it right. I don't like the thought of carrying around too much cash, especially our next Princess US cruise - 23 days.

I dont think for one moment they lie Jilly.

A lot of them are fresh faced kids who simply pass on the information they have been told to say.

We had one "run in" that could have been easily sorted out, but the "kids" on the desk did not have the authourity to access the computer , to make the changes, and they had been told under no circumstances to disturb the seniors, who could have done it in an instant.

Another tip to avoid the above situation is to go to the front desk just before the end of your cruise , and if you have some $US left over , put them into your account, then they know your account is in US$

I think what got me going the most about this David, was the fact that the Chief purser assured me that everything was right and signed the paperwork to that effect even though it was down in black and white what I had been charged.

I would have thought it was just a simple mistake were it not for the fact that I deliberately asked them on 4 different occassions and this was with 4 different people one of whom was the chief purser. He was the one that crossed it out and signed it to say that it was incorrect. Why would they have the question at the bottom of the summary sheet if they didn't know what it meant. I think they are fully aware of what they are doing' date=' they have many non USA passengers on board each cruise.[/quote']

Mmm.....well if he crossed it out then he definitely understood what you were saying.

Like the others, we always pay late on the night before we are to disembark.

Jillybean

Archived