NCL's Travel Protection Plan

So then would I also include my hotel in this price?

Trust me, I always do my research before purchasing anything. So I will make sure that I look them up prior to actually buying.

It can't hurt to include it (but it may raise the cost of the insurance a little bit), but if you pre-paid the hotel and it's not refundable then it might be worth it. I've never used the 800 number but have read many positive comments on here about how helpful they are in making sure you get the policy that works best for you.

True, but if you search a company's name you'll find reviews, both here and on the internet. Plus all insurance companies are graded and that information is available to the public (I believe this grade is also disclosed on insuremytrip.com, and they also tell you which insurance company underwrites the insurance).

quote]

I can't dispute what you are saying if you live in the U.S. because I have no idea what consumer protections are in place there.

What you fail to remember is not everyone travelling on cruises are U.S. citizens, so consumer protections would be different for each country and their insurance stats.

As for reviews, beings as old as I am. I have learned many years ago, reviews are only as good as the person writing them and they can be very iffy to take to the bank.

So in saying that I still stand by what I said you really don't know how good the insurance is until you need it. Which is why up until this point I only used my general travel/medical insurance that I've always had included with my special Canadian visa card. Now I will have to check further into it before my next cruise to see if it covers more than I have always required.

True, but if you search a company's name you'll find reviews, both here and on the internet. Plus all insurance companies are graded and that information is available to the public (I believe this grade is also disclosed on insuremytrip.com, and they also tell you which insurance company underwrites the insurance).

quote]

I can't dispute what you are saying if you live in the U.S. because I have no idea what consumer protections are in place there.

What you fail to remember is not everyone travelling on cruises are U.S. citizens, so consumer protections would be different for each country and their insurance stats.

As for reviews, beings as old as I am. I have learned many years ago, reviews are only as good as the person writing them and they can be very iffy to take to the bank.

So in saying that I still stand by what I said you really don't know how good the insurance is until you need it. Which is why up until this point I only used my general travel/medical insurance that I've always had included with my special Canadian visa card. Now I will have to check further into it before my next cruise to see if it covers more than I have always required.

I remember quite well the international scope of this board and I didn't dispute your statement, I agreed with it. I only pointed out that there are ways of making an informed decision, something I believe to be true no matter what country you hail from.

As to what expenses to include, do not include stuff that will no incur a loss. Your drinks onboard would not be a loss, because you would not be buying them if you did not cruise. Any tours that do not require advance pay are the same.

Any tours that do not require advance pay are the same.

Ok, so this is something that I haven't thought of. I should include my tours that I've paid in full already? Even if it is with the tour company on not a cruise sponsored tour?

That's one of the big differences between NCL's insurance and insurance purchased from a different company- insurance purchased from a diffrent company would have paid 100% and in cash (provided of course you've done your due diligence and made sure the policy covered that).

But meanwhile NCL will generally allow that credit on a "cancel for any reason" basis, whereas cash benefit coverage for that option can be extremely expensive. Hopefully that means you will at least receive something, no matter what, and without having to argue over fine print.

But meanwhile NCL will generally allow that credit on a "cancel for any reason" basis, whereas cash benefit coverage for that option can be extremely expensive. Hopefully that means you will at least receive something, no matter what, and without having to argue over fine print.

The poster I was quoting had to cancel because of the death of an immediate family member of one of the travelers, which would have been covered under the travel policy I had purchased (and under all of the policies that I've looked at, which of course doesn't mean that all policies would provide coverage). Certainly if "cancel for any reason" coverage is important to an individual then they should be analyzing all of their options in that regard.

I was just wondering how many of you have used NCL's Travel Protection insurance. What are your thoughts? I have never bought travel insurance for other holidays, but I am considering it if I book a cruise. I would be booking through NCL's website.

We usually purchase the trip insurance with NCL and Celebrity. Celebrity's trip insurance paid up (took over a month) when we had to cancel due to a death in the family.

We just use NCL's Ins. as the first cruise we ever took was with NCL and we had big problems. Weather delay, missed planes, extra stay, no luggage. Our phone calls to NCL got on everything right away and helped us out. We made it to our ship in Miami just an hour before departure (this was in the day you didn't have to be onboard 2-3 hrs ahead of departure.) Our luggage was there before us--went to San Diego we to Chicago. :eek: I don't mind the little extra it cost as I will let them do all the leg work for us. As long as it pays when we need it--bottom line!!

Ok, so this is something that I haven't thought of. I should include my tours that I've paid in full already? Even if it is with the tour company on not a cruise sponsored tour?

I would check on the cancellation policy for the tours. If you can't cancel last minute I would include them in the insurance quote, if they are cancelable they why pay more for coverage than you need to.

We usually purchase the trip insurance with NCL and Celebrity. Celebrity's trip insurance paid up (took over a month) when we had to cancel due to a death in the family.

We just use NCL's Ins. as the first cruise we ever took was with NCL and we had big problems. Weather delay, missed planes, extra stay, no luggage. Our phone calls to NCL got on everything right away and helped us out. We made it to our ship in Miami just an hour before departure (this was in the day you didn't have to be onboard 2-3 hrs ahead of departure.) Our luggage was there before us--went to San Diego we to Chicago. :eek: I don't mind the little extra it cost as I will let them do all the leg work for us. As long as it pays when we need it--bottom line!!

If it works for you that's great, but for grins I priced NCL's insurance for our potential cruise on the Gem next year. NCL is 2 times (standard) to almost 3 times (platinum) more expensive than the highest quoted policy on insuremytrip.

If it works for you that's great, but for grins I priced NCL's insurance for our potential cruise on the Gem next year. NCL is 2 times (standard) to almost 3 times (platinum) more expensive than the highest quoted policy on insuremytrip.

I haven't even bothered to look up NCL's pricing. I knew that would probably be the case. :rolleyes:

Archived