How to pack formal wear?

Don't fly much, so need some help with the best way to pack a suit and formal long dress. Can borrow a garment bag if need be. Guessing that would have to be checked. Would love to only have carry ons for our 10 day S. Carribean, don't have our flight yet, but likely at least one transfer. Our luggage is heavy, so might consider purchasing something lighter. Would love to hear from the pros. Thanks in advance!

We have non-creasing formal wear. DH's suit stays in the garment bag and is fold in half and placed it into the zippered lid section. My long dresses are folded width-wise and layed across the entire suitcase on top. You can also leave long dresses in the light plastic dry cleaning bags to reduce creasing.

The suit is med weight Poly/wool blend. Nothing fancy. My dresses will probably pack fine. One actually has a wrinkle look to it and the other is polyester. I guess my concern is the jacket and slacks for my DH. The slacks I can press, but would hate to smoosh the jacket. I just have a hard time adding another bag if we don't need it. I don't even know if garment bags fly well anyways. Do they just get squished under all the suitcases?

I put a dry cleaner bag on hanger.

Put dress, jacket, top,,,,,, whichever garment on top of that bag.

I then put a dry cleaner bag over the garment.

The two bags used that way trap air and keep the garment from wrinkling. This method has worked for me with chiffon, silk, crepe..... just about every fabric.

Or, pull the drycleaning bag over the dress and suit....fold only as many times as will allow it to fit in the suitcase. Pack it last. Hang it first, when you arrive at your destination.

Not a big deal..any "creases" will "hang out".

That packing guide, step by step was crazy! I would have never done it that way, but figure it is worth a try. The inside out thing and tucking the sleeves in is way beyond me. I would have just done the traditional folds. Thanks for that tip! Now I just have to wait until January 2012. I love to plan!

Archived