Anything to see on the way to Peggys Cove

Thinking about renting a car in sept in Halifax and driving to Peggys Cove, just wondering if there are any photo opportunities between Halifax and Peggys cove ?

Just returned from Halifax and Peggy's Cove is a must see. We almost cancelled our private tour because of a bad experience in Sydney but are so glad that we did not. Peggy's Cove is absolutely beautiful although not a lot to see along the way. We actually used halifax taxi tours and were very pleased. Les was our driver and he talked the entire way to Peggy's Cove giving us facts and history.

MarriedaCanadian, How did the cost of the Halifax taxi tour to Peggy's Cove compare to the cost of the ship's excursion? Thanks

It depends on how many are sharing the cost. Les's van will hold 6 adults if you don't mind having 3 in the rear bench seat. He does give a great tour. Here is their web site:

http://www.halifaxtaxitours.com/

Thinking about renting a car in sept in Halifax and driving to Peggys Cove, just wondering if there are any photo opportunities between Halifax and Peggys cove ?

As one other poster said peggys cove is a must see - problem you have with a tour is they want to rush you all the time - the lighthouse area is very pretty and we did not get enough time to just relax and enjoy the area before they tell you it is time to go - we are renting a car this time -- there is a lot to do around the port area also - if you rent a car you go to peggys cove spend time at the lighthouse and get back and enjoy all the boardwalk area - it is very safe driving in Canada

G@ry

As one other poster said peggys cove is a must see - problem you have with a tour is they want to rush you all the time - the lighthouse area is very pretty and we did not get enough time to just relax and enjoy the area before they tell you it is time to go - we are renting a car this time -- there is a lot to do around the port area also - if you rent a car you go to peggys cove spend time at the lighthouse and get back and enjoy all the boardwalk area - it is very safe driving in Canada

G@ry

...its safe yes but the streets of halifax can be confusing and misleading :eek: a lot of people have a hard time driving here since it is a very poorly laid out city haha good luck

• 1 month later...

G@ry

Gary who are you renting from? This sounds perfect.

I'd suggest considering going around the head of St. Margaret's Bay and over to Hubbards Cove and perhaps the Aspotogan Peninsula. Close by, yet you get more of a chance to enjoy the fishing village type of locale, and some nice scenery, without going all the way to Lunenburg.

We did a cycling trip of that area in September, 1998 and it was gorgeous. We didn't get to Peggy's Cove, as the day we had planned to visit was the day after the Swissair crash (which I heard), and the road was closed near the top of the bay.

We are going to be in Halifax in October on the Maasdam. Part of me wants to go to Peggy's Cove, but part of me is a bit reluctant. I know it will bring back memories of cycling on the peninsula when the fishing boats and navy ships went out in futile attempts to search for survivors.

Anywhere in the Mahone Bay, Lunenburg area would be great. Check out B&Bs in Lunenburg on TripAdvisor and you will find many.

I gather you will not be on a cruise?

You gather right!

I will as you more questions next week. You seem to love Nova Scotia, so I would like your opinions!

• 2 weeks later...
We will be renting a car and would like to visit Peggy's cove and Lunenburg.

Where would you suggest we overnight?

Any Do Not Miss Suggestions?

Thanks!

I highly recommend the Edgewater B&B in Mahone Bay.

Archived