Things I learned on my first cruise.

ClassyGame

I'm a regular speaker on ships and spent three months in the Caribbean over the last 18 months, with more coming up in the fall. I LOVE to cruise, and am always looking for little things to make myself even more comfortable. Here are a few:

Bring a multi-plug, power strip or extension cord. There are only TWO outlets in the cabin and that's not enough.

Bring a couple of suction cup hooks. There is room on the side of closets or on mirrors to hang light weight things up and out of the way (ear buds, power cords, etc.) Keeps the desk/dressing table clearer.

Bring a large clip to hold the window curtains closed (works for hotel travel too).

SPACE BAGS! Since I'm a speaker I have to bring not only nice clothes for dinner and casual clothes for daytime, but professional clothes to speak in. That's a lot to squeeze into one 50 lb. suitcase. I use Space Bags to minimize the space different outfits take up, then when they are unpacked, I use them for damp bathing suites or towels coming back from the beach.

Sandwich bags: If we're going out for the day we often make up sandwiches from the breakfast or lunch buffet, bring them to the room, put them in baggies and pop them into our beach bag. Saves a lot of money when you're hungry and the only option at your stop is a $10 hamburger. Conversely, soda and water can be cheaper on shore than on ship, so we usually wait to purchase those.

Check your account on the interactive TV often. Mistakes happen and you DON'T want to be in the very long line on the last day trying to straighten out whether you ordered the wine 5 days ago.

I like to pay the cabin steward at least some of his/her tips when I board. You get even better service that way, I think.

We don't like to pay for bottled water in the cabin, so we let the ice in the ice bucket melt and use that. The steward is happy to refill this as often as you need. I've occasionally had problems drinking from the tap.

Many of the shore excursions offered by the ships can be booked independently on line for a lot less money. Same experience from the same tour providers. Just be aware that if anything goes wrong, the ship will not wait for you if you fail to make the departure time, while they will wait for an excursion booked on board.

If you're in a small cabin with a teeny bathroom, take a look at the spa. Often there's no charge to use the showers and sauna, and that's a luxury experience after a day in the sun and sand. I just put my own shower/hair care products in the pocket of the bathrobe they put in the closet, and stroll up to enjoy.

On Celebrity's Solstice class ships my favorite meals are up in the buffet: tea at 4pm and sushi and 5pm. LOVE the little tea sandwiches and sweets. The food in Murano and Tuscan Grill, their specialty restaurants, is SPECTACULAR. You couldn't get a meal like that on shore for $35 per person. If you're celebrating a birthday, anniversary, etc. it's well worth the money.

Hope you find this useful. Cruising is a dream vacation!

Sandwich bags: If we're going out for the day we often make up sandwiches from the breakfast or lunch buffet, bring them to the room, put them in baggies and pop them into our beach bag. Saves a lot of money when you're hungry and the only option at your stop is a $10 hamburger.

I thought taking food off the ships in port was a big no-no due to quarantine laws :confused:

If you're in a small cabin with a teeny bathroom, take a look at the spa. Often there's no charge to use the showers and sauna, and that's a luxury experience after a day in the sun and sand. I just put my own shower/hair care products in the pocket of the bathrobe they put in the closet, and stroll up to enjoy.

Wait a sec -- you mean you walk through the halls in nothing but a bathrobe? Or you carry the robe with your products in its pocket? Please clarify -- I don't want to make a potentially huge mistake!:eek:

I'm a regular speaker on ships and spent three months in the Caribbean over the last 18 months, with more coming up in the fall. I LOVE to cruise, and am always looking for little things to make myself even more comfortable. Here are a few:

Bring a multi-plug, power strip or extension cord. There are only TWO outlets in the cabin and that's not enough.

Some cabins only have 1 110v outlet and 1 220v outlet. One cabin had 7.

............................Sandwich bags: If we're going out for the day we often make up sandwiches from the breakfast or lunch buffet, bring them to the room, put them in baggies and pop them into our beach bag. Saves a lot of money when you're hungry and the only option at your stop is a $10 hamburger.

Conversely, soda and water can be cheaper on shore than on ship, so we usually wait to purchase those.

We fill a water bottle onboard. Even cheaper.

Please only bring commerciallly packaged food onto the islands. We bring some granola bars, hard candies and boxed cereal (from the breakfast buffet). The ecology is very fragile. We were Malathioned by helicopter and plane when the Medfly was destroying the cirtus crops in Southern California. Wouldn't want to live through that again and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Also I would worry about food poisoning from the sandwiches in the hot sun. Part of the fun of traveling is trying new foods.

We went on our first cruise in late Jan/early Feb with NCL to the Mediterranean. I advise you to take a few clothes pins to attach washed clothes to the line provided in the shower. It is more efficient that just tossing things over it and they dry faster. We also took a travel alarm clock and were glad to have it since we did not have one in the cabin. It came in handy on those mornings when we docked early and needed to meet our excursion group. We also took the extension cord and used it every day. I also took a few extra clothes hangars and just put them in the trash can at departure. They really came in handy.

For excursions, we did two through private providers and the rest were through the ship. For us, the ship excursions proved to be best. The private ones were in Rome and Athens and only had a driver/guide. They were very nice, informative and helpful, but they could not go with us into the attractions. We were on our own. Being older, retired folks with limited skills we had a problem in the Vatican with finding our way around that HUGE place. A guide would have been very helpful then. We did the ship tours in both stops in Turkey and in Malta. All three had tour guides who stayed with us every step of the way. But they were more expensive.

We also had a change in the ship itinerary--which was totally unexpected. Our original itinerary had us going to Alexandria, Egypt from Turkey. We had the unlucky timing to be on the ship when the students began to riot in Cairo. So, when we left Izmir, Turkey the captain came on the intercom to announce that we were not going to Alexandria; we would be going to Istanbul instead. VERY disappointing, but understandable! So, be prepared for changes.

Before we left I got a motion sickness patch to put behind my ear and wore it most of the trip. I did not have any problems even on rough sea days. I would advise this for anyone who is not sure of their sea legs.

We had a great trip and have another cruise booked for 2012.

Hope everyone has a good a trip as we did.

Thanks for the tips Classydame.

Please, what is this cash or credit card deposit you speak of?

We are going on our 1st cruise ever in around 3 months and I need to educate myself:D

We are going on a Princess cruise so things will probably be different with them but I want to be ready for everything if possible.

We have sailed Disney and RCCL multiple times..Disney bills your Credit/Debit card the night you have charge 400.00 to your account.....if you only charge 390.00 the whole sailing you get billed the last night...after midnight. If you bill 590.00 the first day, the charge your account that amount that night and you start back at zero the next day. RCCL puts a 600.00 hold on your account on day one and doesnt bill you till the last night. I preferred togo down and pay on the account every other day so we knew where we were...

We have sailed Disney and RCCL multiple times..Disney bills your Credit/Debit card the night you have charge 400.00 to your account.....if you only charge 390.00 the whole sailing you get billed the last night...after midnight. If you bill 590.00 the first day, the charge your account that amount that night and you start back at zero the next day. RCCL puts a 600.00 hold on your account on day one and doesnt bill you till the last night. I preferred togo down and pay on the account every other day so we knew where we were...

My experience with RCI was, give them a credit card.

Spend spend spend, everything goes on your Sea Pass.

You can check your account on the TV at any time.

At the end of the cruise, whatever you have spent is put on that credit card.

Pretty simple.

When we sailed on Carnival, they put a hold on our card for a certain amount. Our last cruise was on Royal Caribbean and they did not put a hold on our card and we were billed for whatebver we spent on the Mon/ Tues after our cruise (we came in over the weekend). I like the credit card becase I get antsy having all that cash...It is still easy enough to monitor your spending as u track in on ur TV in ur room. I looked at mine everyday to make sure there were no mistakes and to also track my teens internet spending:p

When you eat dinner in the dining room order whatever you want. I always order a few different appetizers (not just one or two) and we'll order an extra entree just to try it. It's a fun way to try different things.

Even though you can get a wake up call, bring an alarm clock just to be safe.

You can get pens and decks of playing cards from the guest services desk for free just by asking. This makes extra souveniers for the kids at no extra cost.

OK, this made me feel like a dummy. The first 2 nights I was disappointed by the shower temperature at max. Until I figured out that you have to press down the 'ridge' on the water control handle to get higher temps. Oops.

Not having binoculars on my first Alaskan cruise. Big mistake.

OK, this made me feel like a dummy. The first 2 nights I was disappointed by the shower temperature at max. Until I figured out that you have to press down the 'ridge' on the water control handle to get higher temps. Oops.

Not having binoculars on my first Alaskan cruise. Big mistake.

Gotta' love that "anti-scald" feature. But it would be nice to let a guy/gal know ahead of time.

We learned to definitely do some excursions! On our first cruise, we just shopped / went to the beach / walked around the port. We didn't really discover the excursions until our second cruise....and they definitely made the ports way so much more interesting & enjoyable!

Also...I learned that I have become addicted to cruising! LOL!

I learned on our first cruise, 1987, that I might want to try this again but this time I wanted to know what we were getting into. I won the cruise on Costa Riviera as part of a sales contest and was told nothing but show up at the airport at 5am and you are sailing to St. Thomas, St. Croix and Nassau.

Well it took 14 years and we got back on a ship and haven't looked back you.

The biggest lesson was to NOT to judge a cruise, or cruising, by one trip. I learned to love cruising and the people that share their ship woth you and the crew and staff as well.

I learned that it was easy to over pack! We spent the whole evening of our last night trying to get things packed up and out the door in time! My DH ended up doing most of it so I could take the kids to the final farewell show Disney did. Learned not to do that again!

Last two cruises packed way less! We generally drive, so it isn't to save baggage fees, we just found we didn't wear most of the things we packed and we also ended up buying t-shirts and clothing on the trip. For our upcoming cruise to Alaska we are packing in carry-ons with only one checked, rolling garment bag for our dress clothes (four people in the one garment bag).

I also learned if traveling in a group, you don't need to be stuck to each other like glue! Let everyone do their own thing during the day and then come back and meet for dinner- it gives you so much more to talk about.

I also learned if traveling in a group, you don't need to be stuck to each other like glue! Let everyone do their own thing during the day and then come back and meet for dinner- it gives you so much more to talk about.

Excellent point. Do what you want to do. If others want to join you, OK.

If not, OK.

I have found groups can be a PITA, waiting for others, trouble deciding what to do, etc.

Excellent point. Do what you want to do. If others want to join you, OK.

If not, OK.

I have found groups can be a PITA, waiting for others, trouble deciding what to do, etc.

Exactly, it kind of puts my sister's nose a bit out of joint but life's tough. We love each other but I really don't want to spend every waking moment with her, we don't have the same interests. I'll let you do your thing, just let me do mine.

I found that I didn't really have an issue with motion sickness. I'm one that can't go on spinny or droppy rides at amusement parks, so I thought that the ship movement would bother me. I took Dramamine with me just in case, but didn't use it much. The movement was definitely noticeable, especially the first day, but it wasn't too bad.
Hey, you never know. I'm the one who always gets car sick, but I've never been seasick. My husband, who has been deep-sea fishing multiple times, says that even if you've proven yourself "seaworthy" on one trip, it may be your turn next time -- so I'll always bring the meds just in case.
Oh, one thing I forgot. My cabinmate thought of a really interesting way to sneak alcohol onto the ship. Before we went to the port, she went to a liquor store and bought a ton of these little packets of vodka. I don't remember what they're called or what brand they were, but each packet was about 2"x2" and contained a shot of vodka. She was able to hide 60 of those things on her person and get through security with them.
I've looked for those, but they don't have them locally.
Know that the weather WILL affect your cruise quite a bit! It did for us.
Once we encountered light rain in Cozumel. We still went ahead and did our excursion, still had a blast! But since then we've made a point to each bring a ballcap -- just enough to keep a piddly little rain off our faces. We're not going to miss a port because of a bit of rain. I mean, how often do we get to go to Cozumel?
Can your charge card be used off the ship, in port, while at the same time being connected to your S&S card?
Of course you can. This would only cause a problem if you have a super-low credit limit like maybe $200-300. If that were true, you might not have any credit left to spend on the islands.

When do you actually put credit on your ss card? At the terminal or on the ship? If it is on the ship, where do you do that and when should you do it? I am traveling with a bunch of teens as a chaperone and some of them are bringing cash. any suggestions on how to handle that?

thanks for all the great tips btw!

When do you actually put credit on your ss card? At the terminal or on the ship? If it is on the ship, where do you do that and when should you do it? I am traveling with a bunch of teens as a chaperone and some of them are bringing cash. any suggestions on how to handle that?

thanks for all the great tips btw!

On RCI, I have given them my credit card info prior to boarding via on line registration. I have also linked that credit card so that my wife and son will have it associated with their Sea Pass.

I would imagine that anyone when boarding can go to the customer service and give them cash that will be applied to their Sea Pass card.

Our first cruise was in 1982 (honeymoon) been on 16+ since. The one thing I learned is to bring half the clothes you need. ( on our honeymoon, we had 6 pieces of luggage for a 7 day cruise to Bermuda, yes, most of it was mine :D) About 2 weeks before a cruise we lay out our clothes and try to match up outfits by the day..ship days and port day. So far we can fit all we need in 2 bags for a 10 day cruise. Believe me most of the people on your cruise won't care if you wore the same thing twice and if they do, you will probably never see them again.

Archived