12 hour layover in Philly

kruzkid

We have a 12 hour layover while flying to Oslo to board Vision of the Seas next month. We want to take the opportunity to see a little bit of Philly, as we will be there from 6 AM to 9 PM. We are thinking of taking the train to the Amtrak Station, buying a cheap ticket for 6$ or 7$ and checking our luggage at the Amtrak baggage check for 3$ a piece, then taking the subway to downtown. I dont know anything about the city though, and was wondering what everyone suggests for this situation. Thanks!

Sounds like a reasonable plan - search around Amtrak for prices. I checked Philadelphia 30th St. to North Philadelphia and it was $23!!! However, I then checked 30th St. to Ardmore and it was $6.50 - go figure. Philadelphia seems to have a total lack of luggage storage. The only other alternative I can think of is to tip a hotel bellman to leave your luggage. Perhaps others who travel to Philly will have creative suggestions for you.

Okey dokey. I grew up just outside of the city. Philly in June will be a wonderful experience.

The Amtrak station (30th st. station) is close enough to downtown that you could easily walk it. The middle of downtown (the beautiful city hall building) is at 15th. The delaware river is past Dock St. (1st st.) The other option is to transfer via SEPTA over to the market-east station (Septa will also take you to the airport if you don't have too much luggage to carry). If you wanted to stick to the area around 30th st station, you could do the art museum, or the Franklin Institute. Also check out the Mutter Museum if you're into medical/creepy stuff.

Philly obviously has quite a bit of history to discover. Taking Septa to Market-east will put you down in that neighborhood.

Is there anything specific that you might bew interested in? Cultural, history, food, shopping? What suits your fancy?

"AMTRAK BAGGAGE STORAGE

The 30th Street Amtrak Train Station provides temporary storage of luggage and properly stored personal items. The Amtrak Baggage Storage is located on the 29th Street (West) side of the station, just beyond the Amtrak Sales/Ticketing Windows. Baggage storage fees are as follows: $3.00 per bag for a 24 hour period. All baggage and /or personal items must be clearly marked with traveler's name."

We have a 12 hour layover while flying to Oslo to board Vision of the Seas next month. We want to take the opportunity to see a little bit of Philly, as we will be there from 6 AM to 9 PM. We are thinking of taking the train to the Amtrak Station, buying a cheap ticket for 6$ or 7$ and checking our luggage at the Amtrak baggage check for 3$ a piece, then taking the subway to downtown. I dont know anything about the city though, and was wondering what everyone suggests for this situation. Thanks!

What airlines are involved. ? to PHl and PHL to Oslo (direct? or another European airport?) Will you have cleared incoming US Customs and Immigration before you get to PHL?

There may be easier alternatives than AMTRAK.

This might have something for you - http://minutesuites.com/ and there is a Marriott right at the airport (sometimes they will do favors for members of their "frequent sleeper" clubs.

Hi - there's no Amtrak station at the airport. There's a SEPTA line that runs in & out of the airport. You can take that line to get into downtown.

Hopefully this link works - it should be the schedules, check the airport line to downtown, you would want to go to Market East station which is by the 'historical stuff' (as we call it) downtown.

http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/index.html

The liberty bell pavillion is there along with Independence hall & the Constitution Center. If you get a chance the Reading terminal market is a fun place to stop & get lunch.

I think they are talking about taking Septa to 30th St. station, buying a "cheap" Amtrak ticket so they can check their luggage, and then spending the day exploring Philadelphia. IMO it's a cheap buy to get rid of their stuff for the day.

I'm going to throw out another option... What about renting a car and going to the beach for the day? You can get to the NJ beaches in less than two hours. Google says it is 55 miles to Ocean City, NJ.

I also agree with the vote for Reading Terminal Market. I love that place!

Aaannnnnnd, South Street is considered to be the funky cool neighborhood.

I'm going to throw out another option... What about renting a car and going to the beach for the day? You can get to the NJ beaches in less than two hours. Google says it is 55 miles to Ocean City, NJ.

I also agree with the vote for Reading Terminal Market. I love that place!

Aaannnnnnd, South Street is considered to be the funky cool neighborhood.

IMO it's not a good idea to venture that far from Philadelphia. A mechanical breakdown, a traffic jam (pretty common)... you miss your flight and your vacation is thrown into chaos. There's plenty to see and do for a few hours in the city itself...and you gave a good example with the Reading Terminal Market.

I think they are talking about taking Septa to 30th St. station, buying a "cheap" Amtrak ticket so they can check their luggage, and then spending the day exploring Philadelphia. IMO it's a cheap buy to get rid of their stuff for the day.

oh I see! But if it's a layover won't the baggage be checked through? Although I guess if you have a lot of carry-on stuff then you might want to store that. You might want to check with the Marriott & see if they'd hold your luggage (maybe if you have a marriott rewards card they would, really don't know)

BTW - since you will be on a tight schedule & tix are needed for Independence hall, you can reserve them on-line for $1.50 a ticket. Here's the Independence Hall website - go to Advance Ticket Info to reserve

http://www.nps.gov/inde/index.htm

Archived