Steakhouse question

LynnAnne

Hi, I hear when you book the steakhouse the first night you get a free bottle of wine. Question, Daughter and I will be going, now if we both book will we each get a bottle or is it one per table?? Might be a silly question, thanks.

It's one bottle per couple/table I believe.....so you will just get one bottle (altho I would think that if 2 couples were sharing a table each couple could get their own bottle of wine)- make sure they are aware that you are taking advantage of this offer cuz only SPECIFIC bottles are included - and if you pick something else you will have to pay for it.

It's one bottle per couple/table I believe.....so you will just get one bottle (altho I would think that if 2 couples were sharing a table each couple could get their own bottle of wine)- make sure they are aware that you are taking advantage of this offer cuz only SPECIFIC bottles are included - and if you pick something else you will have to pay for it.

I had a similar question and got this response from the Dream - ymmv:

Good Afternoon,

I am writing to get a little additional information about the embarkation day wine offer. We are considering booking two different couples from two different cabins but would like to sit together. Would this allow us one bottle for each couple? Is there a choice of wine or is something brought to the table by default?

Thank You!

Good afternoon,

You are welcome to make a reservation for 4 guests and up to your requests 2 bottles of wine will be served to your table.

We offer Santa Carolina Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon.

When I just went Last Sunday it was a bottle of Cab or Chardonay from Chile. I drank the cab and it was wonderful. The whole meal was except my steak was nothing to write home about. It was just OK. I ordered the bone in grilled prime rib. Next time I would order the Filet as it was amazing in the main dining room. :)

YAY...it is true then! We shall be getting our bottle of wine on 2 out of our next 3 cruises.:D

We went to the steakhouse for the first time out of 14 cruise our last cruise-will never do again. Service great-food no better then dining room and steak was not good at all very tough. This was on the Freedom Jan. 15th sailing.

i understand it's a $3 bottle of wine. :eek:

Let me know the name of your wine store. I just checked on line and most stores list these wines between $9 and $11.50. My store in nearby delaware sells the Cab for $10.99. Not premium wine by any means, but they are decent table wines. I enjoyed the cab at our dinner in the steakhouse and had a glass of the chardonnay at a bar on board.

People really need to be careful what they write so as not to give people the wrong information. An opinion on the wine is subjective. But misquoting the price is just wrong.

Geez, where do you get your info? You seem to post a lot of negative things and I wonder why?

We were on a B2B and went the first night of both cruises on Dream. The first week it was just DH and me and we got a bottle of Cabernet. The second week friends traveling with us joined us and we made two separate reservations.

Upon arrival at the steakhouse, we asked to be seated together and the hostess seemed pleased that we wanted to do that and we did enjoy the two bottles of wine.

I thought the Cabernet was decent and it was quite smooth. The first week I ordered the boneless rib eye steak that isn't on the menu, but is offered. It is 18 oz and way, way more than I could eat, but it was great!

The second week I had the surf n turf and the filet was fork tender. Both weeks my DH had the filet. Both weeks the chef served tiny appetizers that were wonderful. DH received the Kobe beef mini burger and I had the roasted tomato soup. I would have loved a whole bowl of it.

Sorry to go so off topic, but I love the steakhouse.

We went to the steakhouse for the first time out of 14 cruise our last cruise-will never do again. Service great-food no better then dining room and steak was not good at all very tough. This was on the Freedom Jan. 15th sailing.

Sorry you had that experience...in my experience the food and service have both been excellent...we are really looking forward to David's on the Pride next month!

Sorry you had a bad experience. :(

Ours has been completely different. Glory (twice), Miracle (1 time), Legend (3 times) and Dream once. We experienced great service and better food than in the MDR.

Will be doing it again on our upcoming Dream and Legend cruises. :D

And even at that, it would be overpriced. Two-Buck Chuck would be a vast improvement.

It is just that it is something nice to celebrate with. I don't care about the price. I guess I am not a wine junkie as I don't always think the most expensive taste the best. I am happy that we get a bottle : )

Let me know the name of your wine store. I just checked on line and most stores list these wines between $9 and $11.50. My store in nearby delaware sells the Cab for $10.99. Not premium wine by any means, but they are decent table wines. I enjoyed the cab at our dinner in the steakhouse and had a glass of the chardonnay at a bar on board.

People really need to be careful what they write so as not to give people the wrong information. An opinion on the wine is subjective. But misquoting the price is just wrong.

that's nice, but being in the business, i quote wholesale. what you guys pay in retail doesn't concern me. it's free.

that's nice, but being in the business, i quote wholesale. what you guys pay in retail doesn't concern me. it's free.

Ha, I was about to say the same thing. I have it listed as 4.29/bottle wholesale with a case discount, and I'll bet distributors in my area are higher than in FL....

Ha, I was about to say the same thing. I have it listed as 4.29/bottle wholesale with a case discount, and I'll bet distributors in my area are higher than in FL....

Wine snobs: You may have to lower your nose to read this..

who cares what you guys pay wholesale?? When you're on the ship you don't have the luxury of buying it wholesale, or even retail for that matter. You would have to buy it at ship prices. Which makes it, i'm guessing, a $20 to $30 perk.

who cares what you guys pay wholesale?? When you're on the ship you don't have the luxury of buying it wholesale, or even retail for that matter. You would have to buy it at ship prices. Which makes it, i'm guessing, a $20 to $30 perk.

But your NOT buying it. You're getting it for free. And since the cruiseline is paying probably less that $5 per bottle, how is it a $30 perk? If they paid $30 for it it would be a $30 perk. Your rationalization makes no sense.

I am not a wine snob, far from it. Usually the two bottles we bring on at embarkation are under $20 each (wholesale). I just don't cosider a $5 bottle good just because someone jacks up the price to $30. I love the steakhouse and eat there at least once per sailing, but a $5 perk is not going to sway me from what night I book.

But your NOT buying it. You're getting it for free. And since the cruiseline is paying probably less that $5 per bottle, how is it a $30 perk? If they paid $30 for it it would be a $30 perk. Your rationalization makes no sense.

I am not a wine snob, far from it. Usually the two bottles we bring on at embarkation are under $20 each (wholesale). I just don't cosider a $5 bottle good just because someone jacks up the price to $30. I love the steakhouse and eat there at least once per sailing, but a $5 perk is not going to sway me from what night I book.

Its a $20 - $30 perk because that is what YOU would have to pay for it if YOU were purchasing it off the menu. Your rationale makes no sense. What the Carnival pays for it makes no difference.

Its a $20 - $30 perk because that is what YOU would have to pay for it if YOU were purchasing it off the menu. Your rationale makes no sense. What the Carnival pays for it makes no difference.

Sure, that makes sense as long as EVERYONE who gets a free bottle would have bought the exact same bottle for $30 if they hadn't gotten it free. And since the free bottle is the only reason most people go the first night, because it's slow (and that's the whole reason CCL stared this free bottle thing) that argument makes no sense.

So by your token, giving away the free bottle doesn't stir up any business? Exactly the same amount of people would dine either way, and carnival is just giving away free bottles for the heck of it? Man, they are missing out on an extra $30 per table that night because everyone would have purchased that same bottle of wine! Shame on CCL for leaving money on the table.

Do you see infomercials where they say "A $299 value now for only $24.99!" and think 'what a great deal!'

Sure, that makes sense as long as EVERYONE who gets a free bottle would have bought the exact same bottle for $30 if they hadn't gotten it free. And since the free bottle is the only reason most people go the first night, because it's slow (and that's the whole reason CCL stared this free bottle thing) that argument makes no sense.

So by your token, giving away the free bottle doesn't stir up any business? Exactly the same amount of people would dine either way, and carnival is just giving away free bottles for the heck of it? Man, they are missing out on an extra $30 per table that night because everyone would have purchased that same bottle of wine! Shame on CCL for leaving money on the table.

Do you see infomercials where they say "A $299 value now for only $24.99!" and think 'what a great deal!'

The argument is what the value of the perk is to the customer. Not what the cost of the perk is to Carnival. Right?

If so, how much would that bottle cost said customer on board? (remember, when you're on a ship, you don't have the option of calling your wholesale distributor or driving to your local liquor store)

The argument is what the value of the perk is to the customer. Not what the cost of the perk is to Carnival. Right?

If so, how much would that bottle cost said customer on board? (remember, when you're on a ship, you don't have the option of calling your wholesale distributor or driving to your local liquor store)

I agree with the value to the customer. My point is, how many of the people who get the free bottle would have paid for the same bottle on the same night? My guess is a very small %.

I agree with the value to the customer. My point is, how many of the people who get the free bottle would have paid for the same bottle on the same night? My guess is a very small %.

I understand what you're saying, but to call it a $3 bottle of wine is not accurate. You can't buy that bottle for $3. If you want to buy that bottle while cruising with Carnival its gonna cost you... $20 to $30.

um, hello, if you were to buy wine on board, would you purchase crap?

and you wouldn't feel ripped off getting charged $30 for a $3 bottle of wine the other nights? it is my impression they do not even sell this wine, it's so bad (could be wrong.....or heresay)

Archived