Valet Luggage Service

Miss Jet Set

Today HAL/Seabourn have closed down their wonderful service and have decided to change their carrier as well. I hope their new one will be as

reliable.

Worse still the wonderful Anita, who has been looking after this

department for a long time will no longer be there as she is being moved.

I wish her well wherever she is moved to.

Anita was absolutely wonderful when we used her last year on the Odyssey! Regarding the comment on Luggage Forward - we just used them a couple of weeks ago for a cruise on Silversea. They were absolutely amazing - and the cost was about half of what Silversea quoted for their luggage valet service. Luggage Forward kept us updated as to where our baggage was, and also let us know it had arrived onboard. At the other end, a representative was waiting for us as we departed customs, and they again kept us updated regarding our shipment. This was a US port dropoff and US port pickup, to be honest, however. We have not used them internationally. I would have to assume that if Seabourn is going to use them, they must be performing....at least one would hope! Shipping luggage is really the only way to go!

Luggage Forward is an excellent company. There should be no hesitation to use them. However, like many others here, I will miss Anita. One short call to her and everything was taken care of.

I posted some of this on another thread regarding the 'new' guest relations manager, but since the issue concerns Luggage Forward, I was curious to see if those who have used the service encountered this issue and how it was handled.

We are having an issue with the new Luggage Forward service, and have called Seabourn twice in two days. Both times we were immediately placed on hold for 10 minutes. Our TA has been trying to schedule luggage pickup for us, but the company wants a very detailed and specific description of every item that will be in the luggage, BEFORE IT WILL SCHEDULE pick-up or send us shipping forms, tags, etc. Maybe we're in the minority here and taking this too literally, but does anyone know precisely what will go into a suitcase, down to the number of pairs of socks for example, several weeks before one intends to pack? In the past, we have just used generic descriptions such as suit, sports coats, tuxedo, evening gowns, etc., but we've been told the new service wants to know exactly what is in there including how many of each item. What are they going to do, open the luggage and compare it to the list provided several weeks earlier? I understand customs and security issues, but this seems over-reaching to us.

In the second call, after an unsatisfactory conversation with a polite customer service representative who tried to be helpful but basically told us our issue could not be resolved, my husband asked to speak with his supervisor. We were told that they were unable to transfer calls to supervisors. We then asked who took David Bloom's place, and were told that the person's name was Greg (I noted someone in the other thread said Creg so I'm not sure which it was), but the CR was unwilling or unable to give us a last name, and refused to transfer the call to that person. Finally, we were told that the only way to contact someone at a level above a call center CR when an issue arises is via email through the generic Guest Relations Department on the Seabourn website.

As an aside, the CR did suggest that we contact Luggage Forward directly about our issue rather than having our TA do it, because sometimes the customer will get a different answer that provides a little more flexibility than what is extended to TAs!!

Suffice it to say we are disappointed with this new era of 'service.'

I posted some of this on another thread regarding the 'new' guest relations manager, but since the issue concerns Luggage Forward, I was curious to see if those who have used the service encountered this issue and how it was handled.

We are having an issue with the new Luggage Forward service, and have called Seabourn twice in two days. Both times we were immediately placed on hold for 10 minutes. Our TA has been trying to schedule luggage pickup for us, but the company wants a very detailed and specific description of every item that will be in the luggage, BEFORE IT WILL SCHEDULE pick-up or send us shipping forms, tags, etc. Maybe we're in the minority here and taking this too literally, but does anyone know precisely what will go into a suitcase, down to the number of pairs of socks for example, several weeks before one intends to pack? In the past, we have just used generic descriptions such as suit, sports coats, tuxedo, evening gowns, etc., but we've been told the new service wants to know exactly what is in there including how many of each item. What are they going to do, open the luggage and compare it to the list provided several weeks earlier? I understand customs and security issues, but this seems over-reaching to us.

In the second call, after an unsatisfactory conversation with a polite customer service representative who tried to be helpful but basically told us our issue could not be resolved, my husband asked to speak with his supervisor. We were told that they were unable to transfer calls to supervisors. We then asked who took David Bloom's place, and were told that the person's name was Greg (I noted someone in the other thread said Creg so I'm not sure which it was), but the CR was unwilling or unable to give us a last name, and refused to transfer the call to that person. Finally, we were told that the only way to contact someone at a level above a call center CR when an issue arises is via email through the generic Guest Relations Department on the Seabourn website.

As an aside, the CR did suggest that we contact Luggage Forward directly about our issue rather than having our TA do it, because sometimes the customer will get a different answer that provides a little more flexibility than what is extended to TAs!!

Suffice it to say we are disappointed with this new era of 'service.'

We use another company but it is quite similar. They do provide a form like the one you said. Just do your best to estimate this. For example, we group mens shirts together whether they are long dress shirts, polo shirts etc and just estimate a number for mens shirts. Same for each item. I would just do your best to estimate this and just be in the ballpark. They do require this and what they are asking for other companies ask for. In most instances except for those items that are being shipped within the USA they need to get this through customs and the forms need to be filled out to do this.

Keith

If this service is unsatisfactory, I have no qualms about canceling my upcoming 3 cruises on Seabourn. One thing I do is to take photos of what I pack just in case. But my cruising era might be coming to an end if I can't ship luggage ahead.

Keith, can you share which firm you use? Thanks!

Janepondatprodigydotnet

Yes, taking photos as you pack is a good idea. My husaband used to laugh at me when I did this. However, when we shipped our luggage with Seabourn to Rome a few years ago and many items were stolen I was able to provide photos of each item missing. My husband has been oddly quiet on the issue ever since!( Of course he may also be afraid that I might start making him pack his own clothes).

>"Jane, I just sent you the information."

It never arrived and was not in my spam folder. Can you please re-send it? Thanks!

You have mail. I resent it about an hour ago after it came back rejected because I had left the y off prodigy.

Keith

Since I arrive at least a day ahead of sailing, I can use FedEX to the hotel. What is more problematic is sending it home upon arrival. All that port and pick up information. Guess I could try the Luggage Service once the cruise is over.

Hi all - as you have read, we just used Luggage Forward a few weeks ago on a Silversea cruise - domestic pickup and delivery. Because we had been familiar with both the Silversea and Seabourn shipping guidelines, we were VERY strict in making sure we only had 1 bag at X lbs, and 2 bags at X lbs each. When the pickup (and delivery) occurred, the shipping weight was very different (in our favor) from what we had weighed them at - scares me when dealing with our scale for myself - LOL. Honestly, Luggage Forward was amazing to deal with, and we will use them again. One of the nicest things was their great communication - they kept us well (almost too much) informed of where the bags were and we never were nervous that the bags would not arrive when/where promised. We just cringe with all of the US TSA stuff - no guideline is the same in any given city - shipping luggage is the only way to go!

I am glad to hear that WinWin had a good experience with the new luggage trasnport company. I am great list maker so that part should not be a problem for me. Even with our poor experience last time I would consider forawrding luggage again because it made the night before departure so stress free ( the luggage having left days earleir).My question is, if you book them through Seabourn will they deliver the luggage to the ship or your hotel?

I would imagine that if you book through Seabourn it goes to the ship. If you book yourself probably to the hotel. But you'll be paying more to book through Seabourn so it might be worth it to take the luggage in a taxi from hotel to ship.

Chairsin - When we booked with Luggage Forward independently, we simply called them to set up the pickup and delivery - it was painless and took only a few minutes. The luggage was delivered directly to our stateroom. On the disembark, they waited outside the customs terminal with our name on a signboard, then took it all from there. We signed off that we dropped it with them. It was super easy - exactly like using the Seabourn or Silversea service, but about half the cost, maybe even a bit less. Plus, they called us regularly to let us know where the luggage was. I am not sure what the cost will be with Seabourn now that they contract with Luggage Forward, but having used both luggage services, the cost of Seabourn and Silversea were about the same - and there was no communication from either about where our belongings were - we just hoped they would show up onboard - LOL. I found Luggage Forward from another thread, I think on the Silversea board, and hey - saving a few $$ here and there is never a bad thing!

>"we simply called them to set up the pickup and delivery"

How much specific information do you need for ship delivery and pick-up? All I ever know is the port. Anita, God Bless her, had all the specific information for DHL.

Archived