Leaving clothes for the maid

Some cruise lines have a way of handling clothing, toiletries etc that passengers purposely leave behind.

The clothing is laundered and toiletries are gathered together and everything is put into a large cupboard near the laundry area on board. If a new passenger then boards and their suitcase has been lost or delayed by an airline on their way to the ship, then the cruise lines allow that passenger to see if anything in the cupboard fits or can be used by them until they get reunited with their case.

If you arrive on a ship with just what you are standing in, assistance of this kind can be very helpful & appreciated by passengers who tend to be quite distressed when a suitcase is lost.

The clothing left behind on ships often ranges from basic tops & skirts to formal gowns & suits.

If you watched Cruise Ship Diaries on NatGeo, you will have seen the cupboard on Costa Serena come into its own when a large number of passengers boarded in Venice and did not get their cases til Istanbul due to the airline misplacing them. Any items of clothing or toiletries left aboard ship when passengers leave are collected up and stored like this, the stewards do not keep them at all...so chances are the clothing left by the OP was treated in the same way, laundered and stored for suitcaseless passengers later on.

Have you read any of the several thousand threads on CC about giving ship staffs gifts? Not counting the one where a woman said that her cabin steward was just awed when when she presented him with a DVD of her singing, 100% of the responses were - give cash.

BTW - taking care of you for a week is their job. You do not give gifts to people for doing their job. You give them a fair and adequate wage and you treat them with respect.

DON

Wow, Don......no reason to be so nasty about it. I am new to the boards and I am a first time cruiser......I thought that is why they have these boards.....to ask questions and get advice. Everyone else was nice about it.....and I even went back and wrote that I will just bring more cash for them. The reason I had thought about gifts is because I actually read a thread where someone did that.....I thought it was a good thing. Also another reason why I ask.....I like doing the RIGHT thing. So get off your high horse and be nice. Someday I hope to be an experienced cruiser and when others ask questions...even though they might be as dumb as mine was....I hope I am much nicer about it! Have a most WONDERFUL day!:D

Wow, Don......no reason to be so nasty about it. I am new to the boards and I am a first time cruiser......I thought that is why they have these boards.....to ask questions and get advice. Everyone else was nice about it.....and I even went back and wrote that I will just bring more cash for them. The reason I had thought about gifts is because I actually read a thread where someone did that.....I thought it was a good thing. Also another reason why I ask.....I like doing the RIGHT thing. So get off your high horse and be nice. Someday I hope to be an experienced cruiser and when others ask questions...even though they might be as dumb as mine was....I hope I am much nicer about it! Have a most WONDERFUL day!:D

RealLilSwole - I'm also new to this board, although not new to cruising, and if you read some of the nasty responses to my questions, perhaps this is the way some people feel like welcoming us?:)

Don't let it get to you or keep you from participating - keep your spirits up and don't waste any time dwelling on people with a chip on their shoulder or a bad attitude. There are enough nice people who respond in a mature, adult way and eventually your questions will be answered politely.

Happy cruising!;)

Some cruise lines have a way of handling clothing, toiletries etc that passengers purposely leave behind.

The clothing is laundered and toiletries are gathered together and everything is put into a large cupboard near the laundry area on board. If a new passenger then boards and their suitcase has been lost or delayed by an airline on their way to the ship, then the cruise lines allow that passenger to see if anything in the cupboard fits or can be used by them until they get reunited with their case.

Goldryder - what a wonderful and useful way to take care of things - both items left behind and items not received!

I wonder if most ships have this policy? Next time I cruise (in Jan. 2012) I'll make a point of finding out if this is the case on my ship.

Thanks for sharing!:)

Goldryder - what a wonderful and useful way to take care of things - both items left behind and items not received!

I wonder if most ships have this policy? Next time I cruise (in Jan. 2012) I'll make a point of finding out if this is the case on my ship.

Thanks for sharing!:)

I imagine many ships have such a cupboard on board, certainly no harm in asking.

Things like toiletries that aren't used up by passengers who then do not want to have to lug them home again are frequently left in cabin bathrooms, and things like these can be really useful to passengers who have lost their luggage and want to wash hair and/or shower without using what the cruise line provides (which can be a little harsh to those with sensitive skin or scalps).

The clothing really gets used alot, and usually when the passenger is reunited with their luggage, the clothes used from the cupboard is relaundered and put away again ready for the next unfortunate passenger left without their suitcase when they board.

Obviously things like underwear wouldn't be of use due to hygene reasons...even if laundered...as people are understandably nervous of using those. But things like tops, skirts, jumpers, jeans, mens trousers, mens suits, shirts & formal wear is generally welcomed on ships for use as emergency clothing for those without luggage due to airline problems or whatever.

Like I say, there is certainly no harm in asking what the position is regarding this on any ship, regardless of line. Most are happy to receive it...as are those who have lost their suitcases.

When I first stared coming to these boards I was surprised at some of the abrupt ( rude) respsonses. However, since hanging out here for awhile I think most of those are in the minority.

I also go to Tripadvisor for information and they are very kind.

For more info on specific area also go to Tripadvisor.com. Lots of kind people there. However, the longer you are on here the more kind, helpful posters you wlll meet.

Someday I hope to be an experienced cruiser and when others ask questions...even though they might be as dumb as mine was....I hope I am much nicer about it! Have a most WONDERFUL day!:D

The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked. ;)

Several times I've taken things I'm tired of and for the same reasons as the OP (space and a few things less to wash and iron at home). But, I just put them in the garbage on the last day. Never thought about anyone wanting them.

Well I for one am a huge advocate of recycling gently worn clothing. Maybe not in the crowded living space of cruise ships, but thrift shops have some of the best bargains anywhere! I manage a beautiful one at a nonprofit and I can't begin to tell you how much we depend on people like the OP. Everyone benefits. Its a big circle. I can tell you also, that our shoppers are not all low income needy folks. The stuff they buy is great. If its not, it doesn't even make it to the racks. It goes straight to a rag bin that's on every corner, or a dumpster.

I have some gorgeous clothing and various other things I've picked up over the years. Easily laundered.

How many people do you think slept on the sheets you sleep on during a cruise? They wash them and reuse them.

Also, OP seems like she really gets to know her steward/ess, why not ask her if she'd be interested in the nice shirt or pants you wanted to give her. If she says no, say OK. Pack it up.

Just don't leave a surprise that may get tossed out when someone else would gladly have it. Something like, "this doesn't fit me anymore, do you have any interest in it...I won't be offended if you say no"

No one should assume anything, including assuming that they DONT want the stuff. Just ask. Its a simple conversation between two human beings.

Someone on my last cruise left me an awesome flat iron in the closet. And the one before someone left me a gorgeous pendant in the safe. Someone also left me two $25 poker chips in the theatre seat.

~Cindy

Well I for one am a huge advocate of recycling gently worn clothing. Maybe not in the crowded living space of cruise ships, but thrift shops have some of the best bargains anywhere! I manage a beautiful one at a nonprofit and I can't begin to tell you how much we depend on people like the OP. Everyone benefits. Its a big circle. I can tell you also, that our shoppers are not all low income needy folks.

Also, OP seems like she really gets to know her steward/ess, why not ask her if she'd be interested in the nice shirt or pants you wanted to give her. If she says no, say OK. Pack it up.

~Cindy

Oh, I'm definitely a firm believer in recycling, Cindy. Most of the clothes I no longer want to wear (for various reasons):) are still in perfect shape, so I take them to a thrift shop. Like you said, a lot of people shop for second hand clothing, plus the shops are usually run by a non-profit group so many will benefit from the sales.

I also like your suggestion of just asking the stewardess if she'd like the items I no longer want. Heck, I've even asked friends if they'd like my stuff in the past, and so far nobody has declined.;)

Scandinavian cruiser, I think your intent is good. As I think most have pointed out, the small quarters make it a bit prohibitive for them to keep things. I work in a business where I have to wear mostly professional clothing- suits and the like. I donate my stuff to the local women's shelter. I have asked the Unemployment Office to let me know if a group has a particular need for clothing and then I will divert things to that group. If you have formal dresses, you may want to find out if a local business or charitable group hosts a Cinderella's closet where girls can go to get prom dresses.

Plus, if you don't take the extra stuff you will free up room in your luggage to bring back things you WANT.

Scandinavian cruiser, I think your intent is good. As I think most have pointed out, the small quarters make it a bit prohibitive for them to keep things. I work in a business where I have to wear mostly professional clothing- suits and the like. I donate my stuff to the local women's shelter. I have asked the Unemployment Office to let me know if a group has a particular need for clothing and then I will divert things to that group. If you have formal dresses, you may want to find out if a local business or charitable group hosts a Cinderella's closet where girls can go to get prom dresses.

Plus, if you don't take the extra stuff you will free up room in your luggage to bring back things you WANT.

At the organization I work at we have the thrift shop I spoke of, with thousands of beautiful items in and out every day. All donated by people like yourself. But also, we have a special program called Career Closet and we provide business attire for women (and men) entering the workforce in need of interview and a couple of mix and match outfits and accessories. This is all donated as well. That would be great if you could donate your business clothing to something like that. (This is at no cost to the men and women referred to us.) Shoes and accessories included. And a local salon has partnered with us to provide a certificate for them to also have a complimentary cut and style.

I have also been on cruise ships with a woman as our room steward. (Stewardess???) And I see no problem with leaving your unwanted things behind. I mean, it's not like it's holey underwear or worse! :D The steward can decide if he/she wants them or do something else with them. Haven't we all read threads about people taking their old underwear and throwing it out to make more room in their suitcases? (Which for me has always begged the question: Just how BIG is their underwear? But I digress.)

If you hang out enough on internet boards (of all kinds), you find that sometimes people can be just downright mean. Ignore 'em. ;)

Happy cruising! And as a much-missed, departed cruiser from the HAL boards used to put as her signature:

Blue skies!

Robin

At the organization I work at we have the thrift shop I spoke of, with thousands of beautiful items in and out every day. All donated by people like yourself. But also, we have a special program called Career Closet and we provide business attire for women (and men) entering the workforce in need of interview and a couple of mix and match outfits and accessories. This is all donated as well. That would be great if you could donate your business clothing to something like that. (This is at no cost to the men and women referred to us.) Shoes and accessories included. And a local salon has partnered with us to provide a certificate for them to also have a complimentary cut and style.

Another wonderful idea! I'm impressed with all the ways people have come up with to help others!:)

I will keep the Career Closet idea in mind for when I have business type clothing to donate. Of course my cruise clothing is more on the fun, colorful, festive side, so that'll still have to go to some other group.;) But I can see many women being in need of suits etc. to wear to a job interview and even after landing a job requiring business type outfits.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas!

In defense of the OP, there have been numerous threads on these boards where someone is upset that they left something in their cabin - they call the cruise line to find out there is no lost and found (most cruise lines do NOT have one) and they will not get their items back - someone else comes on to post that while talking to their room steward, found out that the stewards keep clothes they like and trade among other cruise ship employees.

I personally have spoken to a room steward who was leaving his post to go home the same morning we were leaving, he had a bag of clothes that he said he was bringing home to his young daughter, all items that had been left behind by cruisers. He said he has seen brand new shoes, clothes with the tags left on, etc. left by cruisers that the line does not return.

So while some think it's tacky, some employees do in fact take and use the items left behind.

A few years ago I was on a Caribbean cruise and after getting settled in my cabin, I found that a pair of shoes (brand new) I had worn pre-cruise absolutely killed my feet and I hated them. I threw them in the trash bin in the cabin as I knew I'd never wear them again.

They weren't pricey nor cheap but to me, they were garbage.

Next morning, the shoes were on the floor next to the closet. Again, I placed them in the trash. That evening, the room steward (male) asked why my shoes were in the trash bin and I explained the situation and told him that I didn't want them. He graciously asked if he may take them to give to someone in need.

He further explained that the "things" left behind by passengers, whether intentional or not, go a long way, whether it's recycled among crew or dropped off at different ports. "NOTHING of use goes in the garbage," were his words.

A few years ago I was on a Caribbean cruise and after getting settled in my cabin, I found that a pair of shoes (brand new) I had worn pre-cruise absolutely killed my feet and I hated them. I threw them in the trash bin in the cabin as I knew I'd never wear them again.

They weren't pricey nor cheap but to me, they were garbage.

Next morning, the shoes were on the floor next to the closet. Again, I placed them in the trash. That evening, the room steward (male) asked why my shoes were in the trash bin and I explained the situation and told him that I didn't want them. He graciously asked if he may take them to give to someone in need.

He further explained that the "things" left behind by passengers, whether intentional or not, go a long way, whether it's recycled among crew or dropped off at different ports. "NOTHING of use goes in the garbage," were his words.

This post and momof1lilguy makes perfect sense. I can imagine its almost like a treasure hunt what people leave behind. Hotels too. Vacation apartments and such. We used to stay in a small studio for an island vacation and people across the hall one year left lots of beer and groceries (unopened) in the fridge and on the counters. Obviously for the housekeeper or next guest. :cool:

I can only imagine with thousands of people weekly on a ship, lots of things get left behind. Intentionally or not. Why would the steward throw it out, unless it was nasty.

• 2 months later...

Hi,:) personally, even if you disagree with leaving items? The tone of

some of the responses? I think many were uncalled for but what do

I know:confused:..and here I thought after all these years the Fashion

Forum was more helpful and friendly than some of the other forums.:(

As for me? There are many folks right here in the good ole USA who

need clothing and more....I donate items I don't want/need/cannot use

to GoodWill, Salvation Army and to organizations for battered women.

I use a packing list (reworked over at least 20 vacations/cruises) and it is on my computer. Print it and I check off or describe as I place it in bag (2 white shirts example) then as I pack up to go home I check it off again. I am a fluffy woman and my greatest fear is forgetting something because 2XL and wide shoes are NOT easy to find in some ports of call!

:D I asked a store lady where she got her beautiful Tahitian mumu that looked about my size and she grinned and told me Chinese store on the internet:D

On lots of eco cruises/expeditions you will be encouraged to leave the shoes and clothes behind and the guides distribute the items to locals. I was amused to see a young African boy wearing a T-shirt that proclaimed "Proud Member of the Murphy Clan 2003" and then on market day seeing the mountain of shoes being sold in the town square -- maybe 800 pair all in one tall mound!:D

Archived