Leaving clothes for the maid

On the few cruises I've been on, I've usually left a few garments for the maid at the end of the cruise. Nothing stained or otherwise in bad shape, just things that I have gotten tired of and just wanted to get rid of.

Leaving them for the maid, with a friendly note, frees up more room in my luggage for things I've purchased on the trip, plus I won't need to stop at the Goodwill store in my hometown either. Also, since much of the staff is from Indonesia, the Philippines etc and I'm sure don't get paid that much, I think of it as helping a needy person as well.:)

Has anyone else done this? Also, do you know if staff is allowed to keep any items left behind, especially if I specify it's meant for them and not just simply forgotten?

Seriously? Wow. Um, no offense, but I wouldn't want your old clothing (I know you stipulated it would be otherwise fairly clean) but this is just nasty. I'm sorry.

I honestly don't know if the cabin steward would accept your clothing, or discard them. Their quarters are very small and they do not have room for gifts of any kind.

Leaving behind your clothes so that it saves you time on the other end or frees up space for you is, well, selfish in my opinion. If you want to be sure your clothing gets to someone who needs it and will actually use it instead of throwing it away, please recycle in your own home town (Goodwill, thrift shop, Salvation Army, women's shelter).

Sorry if this sounds harsh; it wasn't meant to be, but more so just to make you think about it, and reconsider your motives.

There is no "maid". Most cabin stewards are men. I don't know why you would think any of them would want your old clothing.

Of course I've never done this. If you want to tip, leave cash, not your cast offs.

Your post does not read as if it's a generous act, but rather that it saves you from making a trip to the Goodwill.

Wow - you people really feel strongly about this, don't you.

On the cruises I've taken, we've had a female cabin steward(ess) each time. I wouldn't think a male would want to wear women's clothing (although some do).;) Each of the girls have been about my size (6) and FYI I wear very nice clothing, not some off-brand or such, but high-quality namebrands. Things that most cabin stewards would not be able to afford, I'm sure.

My intention NEVER was to offend anyone, neither the recipient nor any of you fellow cruisers. At least now I've gotten your opinions - thanks for sharing them.:)

Um yeah, I definitely do this. And no offense OP, I'm sure your clothes are great and all, but wouldn't you be offended if someone left you their clothes "assuming" you didn't have nice clothes yourself? You shouldn't "assume" another person can't afford what you have.. That's just rude.

Um yeah, I definitely do this. And no offense OP, I'm sure your clothes are great and all, but wouldn't you be offended if someone left you their clothes "assuming" you didn't have nice clothes yourself? You shouldn't "assume" another person can't afford what you have.. That's just rude. :(

After reading this, I have a question.......I have already paid my gratuities, and plan to leave a lot more cash in the tip envelopes, but I was thinking also about bringing some gifts for the stewards....things original to Kentucky where I am from....is this a bad idea? Or tacky? I just think that it would be a nice gesture to treat them since they will be taking care of me for a week...... advice please and thanks!

"You people"? Wow. :confused: Did you post your thoughts with the intention that a.) everyone would agree with you or b.) that no one would voice their opinion?

You asked, we replied. I don't think it matters that you say your clothes are high quality or not.... it's just tacky, IMO. Others felt so too and said something. Like I said earlier, the real beneficiaries of your generosity would be people in your own home town, especially a women's shelter. That would be fantastic.

... but I was thinking also about bringing some gifts for the stewards....

It's a nice thought but as stated, their rooms are small and they have no room or desire for gifts (this has been discussed many times before, just not in this particular forum). If you feel your cabin steward has given you excellent service worthy of additional "tips", then cash is king. Most crew have family back home to support and they send home their wages, so cash would be appreciated and welcomed. Trinkets are nbot appreciated, although of course, they would never say that to your face; they would graciously accept your item and then, yes really.... throw it in the trash.

Wow, I had never heard or considered such a thing.

I really don't think that cabin stewards or stewardesses are allowed to accept any gifts besides cash. I'm pretty sure that if it is left in your cabin at the end of the cruise, it will be thrown away or sent to lost and found.

If you want to be cute, I've heard of people decorating the envelopes for the tips. Of course, these envelopes are probably just going to get thrown away....

And if you want to donate your clothes, there is a dress exchange thread "stickied" to the top of this forum. ;)

On the cruises I've taken, we've had a female cabin steward(ess) each time. I wouldn't think a male would want to wear women's clothing (although some do).;) Each of the girls have been about my size (6) and FYI I wear very nice clothing, not some off-brand or such, but high-quality namebrands. Things that most cabin stewards would not be able to afford, I'm sure.

My intention NEVER was to offend anyone, neither the recipient nor any of you fellow cruisers. At least now I've gotten your opinions - thanks for sharing them.:)

Um...I assume you don't want to sound this way, but this still comes off as snobbish. Some of us HAVE to wear "off brands," but that doesn't mean we want your cast-offs. As for me, I live on a very small salary and have family members with expensive medical conditions. We save all year, sometimes two years, to go on a cruise.

I feel mightily offended that anyone would look down on me for not having "major label" clothing. I have a degree in costume design, and enjoy making silk purses out of sow's ears. I consider myself well-dressed on my limited budget and have received many compliments on my outfits while cruising.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to afford designer clothing, more power to you. Just be careful you don't inadvertently wave it in others' faces.

Um...I assume you don't want to sound this way, but this still comes off as snobbish. Some of us HAVE to wear "off brands." As for me, I live on a very small salary and have family members with expensive medical conditions. We save all year, sometimes two years, to go on a cruise.

I feel mightily offended that anyone would look down on me for not having "major label" clothing, but that doesn't mean we want your cast-offs. I have a degree in costume design, and enjoy making silk purses out of sow's ears. I consider myself well-dressed on my limited budget and have received many compliments on my outfits while cruising.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to afford designer clothing, more power to you. Just be careful you don't inadvertently wave it in others' faces.

I'm sure Scandinaviancruiser did not intend to sound snobbish. She said she had name brand clothing. That is not necessarily "designer" clothing. I think she just meant to say that what she was leaving was of good quality and not stuff that was ready for the trash basket. I agree however about why it probably would not be a good idea.

To the OP if you travel to some Caribbean Islands they love your extra things. I made a connection before going to the Dominican Republic and filled an entire extra suitcase with things they suggested. And we brought extra backpacks to use for just the week. When we gave them to the cleaning lady at our resort along with cash she was thrilled to have them for her children. So I saw your thoughts as trying to help. I think it is the small ship quarters that make it impossible for you to donate clothes.

To the OP if you travel to some Caribbean Islands they love your extra things. I made a connection before going to the Dominican Republic and filled an entire extra suitcase with things they suggested. And we brought extra backpacks to use for just the week. When we gave them to the cleaning lady at our resort along with cash she was thrilled to have them for her children. So I saw your thoughts as trying to help. I think it is the small ship quarters that make it impossible for you to donate clothes.

also to the OP I read your original post as trying to help. We stayed for a week in the DR and the person/charity I had connected with before the trip was THRILLED to have the things we brought.

I'm sure Scandinaviancruiser did not intend to sound snobbish. She said she had name brand clothing. That is not necessarily "designer" clothing. I think she just meant to say that what she was leaving was of good quality and not stuff that was ready for the trash basket. I agree however about why it probably would not be a good idea.

Yesss - Palmetto Lady, you really got my point - thanks!

The things I do donate to various charities are always of good quality, clean, and pressed - in other words, ready to be worn by the new owner. However, I agree that leaving them for the staff on a cruise ship is probably not a good idea, since A)they may not want or need them, B)will not have a place to store them, and C)may not be allowed to keep them anyway.

You know, nearly every time we've been in Mexico I've done the same thing and people there always appreciate what I've given them. Many of them have large families and often struggle to put food on the table, much less clothing.

So thanks - yours is a great idea!

I felt kind of bad reading these posts...

Telling the poster she was tacky when the way I read it was that she was trying to do something nice, even if her gesture was not appropriate, was sad.... I read her intention as kind hearted, but just misplaced.

But, yes I too would not do that, it perhaps will cause more work for the room stewart. I also agree that this is not to say the gesture is not a good one, just find a better place to donate.....

LOL, I am sure I have dressed at least 20 ladies by donating my gowns to them right here on the dress recycle board.... Sure, more work to package them up, get to post office, but the appreication when they received the gowns was so much worth the effort.... Maybe you can look at this thread, I am sure your gesture will be quite welcome there.

On the few cruises I've been on, I've usually left a few garments for the maid at the end of the cruise. Nothing stained or otherwise in bad shape, just things that I have gotten tired of and just wanted to get rid of.

Leaving them for the maid, with a friendly note, frees up more room in my luggage for things I've purchased on the trip, plus I won't need to stop at the Goodwill store in my hometown either. Also, since much of the staff is from Indonesia, the Philippines etc and I'm sure don't get paid that much, I think of it as helping a needy person as well.:)

Has anyone else done this? Also, do you know if staff is allowed to keep any items left behind, especially if I specify it's meant for them and not just simply forgotten?

What would you think if the cabin steward did the same to you - left you some clothing that he or she did not need because it was taking up the limited space in his cabin and asked you to take them home to your family.

I really do not think that you would appreciate the "gracious" gesture.

DON

After reading this, I have a question.......I have already paid my gratuities, and plan to leave a lot more cash in the tip envelopes, but I was thinking also about bringing some gifts for the stewards....things original to Kentucky where I am from....is this a bad idea? Or tacky? I just think that it would be a nice gesture to treat them since they will be taking care of me for a week...... advice please and thanks!

With all due respect, these hard working individuals don't need little gifts. Many of them have no idea where Kentucky is, nor do they care. Look at it this way, they have contracts for 6 or 8 months, serving as many as 14 cabins per week. If even half of their passengers gave them a gift, what would they do with it all? They share tiny cabins, and have little space. Some say they give food, but that's not a good idea because you have no idea of allergies or even religious dictates that don't allow certain foods. Just cash is the best

Have you read any of the several thousand threads on CC about giving ship staffs gifts? Not counting the one where a woman said that her cabin steward was just awed when when she presented him with a DVD of her singing, 100% of the responses were - give cash.

BTW - taking care of you for a week is their job. You do not give gifts to people for doing their job. You give them a fair and adequate wage and you treat them with respect.

DON

Archived