Leaving clothes for the maid

Someone on my last cruise left me an awesome flat iron in the closet. And the one before someone left me a gorgeous pendant in the safe. Someone also left me two $25 poker chips in the theatre seat.

~Cindy

Someone is probably kicking themselves for leaving the flat iron and the peron who lost the 2 $25 poke chips couldn't have been too happy about $50 but, "someone left me a gorgeous pendant in the safe"? I better hold my tongue on that one so I don't get into trouble.:(

Someone is probably kicking themselves for leaving the flat iron and the peron who lost the 2 $25 poke chips couldn't have been too happy about $50 but, "someone left me a gorgeous pendant in the safe"? I better hold my tongue on that one so I don't get into trouble.:(

probably didn't like the pendant anymore

I've left many a dell laptop (cleaned of course) for other folks

I have heard of people only packing older items and leaving them behind either in garbage or donation bins in order to make room for purchases.

I have not heard of people leaving things behind thinking that the cabin stewards might want them.

I would never assume that we could just leave things behind that we no longer wanted.

But, now that I think about it, if we had a cabin attendant who happened to mention that I "had a pretty whatever" or my husband had a "great t-shirt" I might consider gifting something if it were approved and accepted.

I dont think its a bad idea.. I have people from the islands buying my used clothes at my garage sales to send back home.. they tell me they are very poor and the stuff they send( used ) makes them very happy... If they dont want it then they would either throw it away or give it away...

I think I get the spirit that OP meant and I do think it's coming from a good place, for me I would worry about creating additional work for the stewards who have a short turn around time to clean and prep for the next passengers and as others have noted: the lack of space staff have.

If I needed to create room in my luggage I would be inclined to ask the staff directly if they would like the item directly rather than leave it behind, although I think OP said she would leave a note. That's just my two cents tho.

On the few cruises I've been on, I've usually left a few garments for the maid at the end of the cruise. Nothing stained or otherwise in bad shape, just things that I have gotten tired of and just wanted to get rid of.

Leaving them for the maid, with a friendly note, frees up more room in my luggage for things I've purchased on the trip, plus I won't need to stop at the Goodwill store in my hometown either. Also, since much of the staff is from Indonesia, the Philippines etc and I'm sure don't get paid that much, I think of it as helping a needy person as well.:)

Has anyone else done this? Also, do you know if staff is allowed to keep any items left behind, especially if I specify it's meant for them and not just simply forgotten?

You have to be kidding. This has to be a joke. Nobody could seriously think that the person who cleans your cabin really wants your old dirty clothing.

DON

BTW - taking care of you for a week is their job. You do not give gifts to people for doing their job. You give them a fair and adequate wage and you treat them with respect.

DON

Wow!

I'm a waitress at a banquet facility. I was assigned to serve the table that the grandmother of the groom was sitting at one particular wedding. I did my job, I'm a hard worker and I get many compliments from co-workers and guests alike as well as cash tips. I don't remember everyone that gives me tips but I remember this particular lady. Why? At the end of the night the grandmother had said to me that I did a great job and that she wanted me to take home one of the favors, the favor was an angel tealight holder (it just so happens that I absolutely love candles.) It touched me right in the center of my heart. I have it in a place where I can see it everyday and I always think of her. It also reminds me that there are kind people in the world and that the little things are what counts the most.

Granted I wasn't on a ship in a little tiny cabin with a family at home waiting to be fed but that's not the point. The point is just because 99.9% of people don't do it doesn't mean it can't/shouldn't be done. Even if it's absolutely worthless to them I'm sure most of the decent cabin steward(ess') will appreciate and love the thought put into it.

The OP has some great advice, I just wanted to share my story as I was slightly offended by the tone of some of these answers. I read no snobbiness in the OP either, just someone with good intent but just wasn't practical.

Signed,

someone who is 'just doing her job' and 'earns a fair wage'

After being to the Caribbean a few times, allthough not on a cruise - I have left clothing that the maids have liked for their children. And on a few occasions I have had the bar staff etc ask me for my football shirts as they cant get them there. I have happily left them for them and they were greatly appreciated. On one occasion I actually had a life guard in Cuba ask for my Sandals on my last day, no problem mate - here you go!

If i was leaving something i didn't want to take home i would leave the items near the bin in a bag then it's up to them whether they open the bag & take the items or not ...i'd more than likely have a peep just out of curiosity of course ;)

If someone felt strongly about leaving items of clothing and/or toiletries behind for someone to use, why not send an email to the cruiseline and ask if they would accept them for the "stranded guest" program? At least then you would know you could do it.

On my trip to Kenya this summer, our group did leave items at various camps. We were told that they would be distributed to the families of the workers. And, we collected our OTC meds, bug sprays, toiletries and donated them to the local clinic. Note that we knew ahead of time that we could do this. Before this trip, I would never have thought of leaving items in my room/cabin. I've taken old items that were at their end-of-life with me, but I always threw them away.

• 1 month later...

I know it's an older thread, but I just had to dig it up!

I can't imagine wanting to go on a cruise and only taking old stuff that's only suitable for discarding.....

Cruises are the only times I get to wear my nice stuff!!!:)

I also understand where the OP was going with this suggestion. When we were in Jamaica a few years ago, there was a large group of women braiding hair just outside the gate to the resort's private beach. They told us that they would be just as happy to accept used children's clothing as they would be to have cash. And when we were shopping in a large craft marketplace, my husband was talking to several of the artisans who worked with carved wood. They said that they would be thrilled with payment in sandpaper rather than cash; they said it was not as easily available there and was outrageously expensive.

A pair of shoes - brand new but just hurt my feet! They were heavy and I didn't want to tote them all the way home.

I've also left toiletries - we usually sail on 14nt+ cruises, so I bring large bottles with me. One my last Alaska cruise the cabin attendant (female) asked me about a body cream I was using because she loved the scent. When she brought my tea on the second to last morning - I asked her if she'd like to have it - she was thrilled! She told me again the day of departure that she really appreciated it and had used it that morning.

Well I for one am a huge advocate of recycling gently worn clothing. Maybe not in the crowded living space of cruise ships, but thrift shops have some of the best bargains anywhere! I manage a beautiful one at a nonprofit and I can't begin to tell you how much we depend on people like the OP. Everyone benefits. Its a big circle. I can tell you also, that our shoppers are not all low income needy folks. The stuff they buy is great. If its not, it doesn't even make it to the racks. It goes straight to a rag bin that's on every corner, or a dumpster.

I have some gorgeous clothing and various other things I've picked up over the years. Easily laundered.

How many people do you think slept on the sheets you sleep on during a cruise? They wash them and reuse them.

Also, OP seems like she really gets to know her steward/ess, why not ask her if she'd be interested in the nice shirt or pants you wanted to give her. If she says no, say OK. Pack it up.

Just don't leave a surprise that may get tossed out when someone else would gladly have it. Something like, "this doesn't fit me anymore, do you have any interest in it...I won't be offended if you say no"

No one should assume anything, including assuming that they DONT want the stuff. Just ask. Its a simple conversation between two human beings.

Someone on my last cruise left me an awesome flat iron in the closet. And the one before someone left me a gorgeous pendant in the safe. Someone also left me two $25 poker chips in the theatre seat.

~Cindy

I hope you turned the pendant into lost and found so the owner could retrieve it! It was in the safe because it was valuable to them.... either monetarily or sentimentally. I would hate to think you saw it as a "gift" to you!:eek:

Archived