Can a 20 year old drink?

My younger sister who will be 20 by the time of the cruise is going with us. My DH says she will be able to drink on the islands but certainly not the ship. I thought I read on here once upon a time that the drinking age on the islands doesn't matter and that the ship's 21+ rule still applies. Can someone clarify that?

My younger sister who will be 20 by the time of the cruise is going with us. My DH says she will be able to drink on the islands but certainly not the ship. I thought I read on here once upon a time that the drinking age on the islands doesn't matter and that the ship's 21+ rule still applies. Can someone clarify that?

She must be 21 to drink on the ship and depending on the islands drinking age she can drink there ..

21 on the ship for sure. Most of the islands have a drinking age of 18. I don't know of any that are not 18. If you google the island you are going to, it is pretty easy to find out drinking age.

She can drink on the islands as long as the drinking age is 20 or under. On the ship, certainly not. When we were in Cozumel this idiot of a father let his 17 yo son get drunk at the pool in Nachi Cocum. Drinking age is 18. They lied about his age, but the drunk son was so plastered, he loudly gave himself away. Just don't let her get hammered LOL.

Our 18 year old daughter went with us this February and she had champagne on the boat with us and wine at our table. She didn't purchase it but as long as she was with us they never said anything. We also bought her a beer in the Karaoke lounge and again they never said anything. As long as your responsible they wont say anything.

WOW lucky kid :confused:

Our 18 year old daughter went with us this February and she had champagne on the boat with us and wine at our table. She didn't purchase it but as long as she was with us they never said anything. We also bought her a beer in the Karaoke lounge and again they never said anything. As long as your responsible they wont say anything.

Sounds reasonable to me, and I can't be too surprised given that crews are international where alcohol is not so taboo.

Side question... is gambling 21 as well, or 18?

Ok you go to bar and buy 2 drinks on your card does Carnival care who consumes them , Just sayin. You are not in the states there is not people looking over your shoulder checking ID 's as long as she is not smashed no one is going to pay any attention to a 20 year old.

In 1992 I went on my 1st cruise, Carnival Tropicle. My friend and I were 20 years old and allowed to drink.:) The next year Carnival changed their drinking age from 18 to 21.

I am 20 years old myself. Though I'm not a big drinker to begin with, sometimes I like to enjoy a fruity DOD. My fiancé buys the drink for me (he's 26) and we have never had an issue. I have a younger brother who cruises with us, he is 18 and my mom will occasionally buy him a beer & again, never a problem. We are responsible and don't make a scene about it. We are all European (from Portugal) and over there, drinking is not a big deal like it is here in America. A lot of the younger adults who are not 21 here drink not because they enjoy the drink itself, but instead to feel or look "cool" or that they got away with something. And yes, I understand buying alcohol for a minor is illegal, frowned upon, and is breaking the cruise's contract. But as I previously stated, its one or two drinks.. No real harm is being done and we aren't effecting anyone's time or vacation.

In 2003, we did a Celebrity Cruise in Northern Europe where the drinking age aboard the ship was 18 - probably because of the high percentage of Europeans. I remember it well, because it was the first cruise in which my daughter, who had just turned 21, could drink, but so could her younger brother. I think they had a drink each. :)

must be 21 on the ship but in the ports 18 works everywhere pretty much. My then 18 tested the waters and no on ship but in port rum punch everywhere ready and available. It was only fun for the first 2 then he was over that. Back to DR Pepper after that. LOL

She will be able to drink in the ports. We had a bunch of 18-20 year olds in our group last summer and they were all served alcohol in San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk. They weren't even asked for ID.

Actually San Juan and St Thomas are US properties and therefore the US drinking age of 21 applies.

You can be removed from the ship at the nearest port if you provide alcohol to an underage drinker on on board the ship. Unless you like playing Russian Roulette, I would suggest not doing that.

Ok you go to bar and buy 2 drinks on your card does Carnival care who consumes them , Just sayin. You are not in the states there is not people looking over your shoulder checking ID 's as long as she is not smashed no one is going to pay any attention to a 20 year old.

Carnival Corp is an American company and they could lose their license to serve alcohol is they knowingly sell/serve alcohol to a minor. Yes, they care.

I went on my first cruise in 1995 at the age of 18 with two friends that were also 18. We were able to drink on the ship, and we were able to sail on our own! In Nov 1995, I booked a spring break cruise for March 1996 with 20 sorority sisters:eek:. I remember we all freaked out when we got our docs because they stated the current rule of being 21 to sail alone or have someone over 25 in the cabin. It also increased the drinking age to 21. However, since we booked prior to the change, we were grandfathered.

No, it doesn't. Drinking age is 18 in both Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

http://www.**********/general_usvi/faq/#drinking

http://www.topuertorico.com/resource/fast.shtml

I did some more researching and stand corrected. 18+ can drink on the islands but they cannot purchase or drink alcohol on board unless they are 21.

Archived