Can a 20 year old drink?

Just don't think I will ever get over the fact, that our 18,19, and 20 year old brave young men and women can take up a weapon, stand a post, but still can't buy a cold beer. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Mimgan

Actually San Juan and St Thomas are US properties and therefore the US drinking age of 21 applies.

Clearly you have never been to either location with persons under the age of 21. The legal age to purchase alcoholic beverages in both Puerto Rico (San Juan) and the USVI (St. Thomas) is 18. (Links have been provided by others)

Carnival Corp is an American company and they could lose their license to serve alcohol is they knowingly sell/serve alcohol to a minor. Yes, they care.

Do you have any source for this bit of wisdom?

Carnival does not care, I have seen them serve people under the age of 21 alcoholic beverages on many occasions. As long as the parents are buying they do not care..

Carnival Corp is an American company and they could lose their license to serve alcohol is they knowingly sell/serve alcohol to a minor. Yes, they care.

LOL I watched a lady buy my son and her son drinks for an entire cruise our son was 20 her son 17 yea they cared .

Carnival does not care, I have seen them serve people under the age of 21 alcoholic beverages on many occasions. As long as the parents are buying they do not care..

Thank you . Exactly my point

She can certainly drink. She won't be able to buy but if you buy for her no one will give her grief about it. Some will say this is wrong, unethical, border line evil. But if you want a factual answer, yes, she can not buy but can certainly consume. Have a great cruise!

It doesn't matter where the company is, it only matters where the ship is flagged in while in international waters. The 21+ rule is a carnival rule, but they are not bound by any US legal rules on the matter.

You can be removed from the ship at the nearest port if you provide alcohol to an underage drinker on on board the ship. Unless you like playing Russian Roulette, I would suggest not doing that.

How many times has anyone actually been put of for said offense? It is like playing russian roulette, with 950,000 chambers and one round. I like those odds.:)

No, it doesn't. Drinking age is 18 in both Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

http://www.**********/general_usvi/faq/#drinking

http://www.topuertorico.com/resource/fast.shtml

We were in San juan last year and both my son (17) and daugther (14) were asked if they wanted a drink. Now granted it was at Senor Frogs we still said no thanks and they both said no thanks also. We asked the waitress and she said the drinking age is 18 but since we were at a "tourist hangout" everything is ok if they would want a drink. I Cozumel, my son was 14 and they offered him a beer, he tried it but didn't like so I drank it for him. ALso in Mexico, the saying is if you can walk up o the bar, you can order a drink

Just don't think I will ever get over the fact, that our 18,19, and 20 year old brave young men and women can take up a weapon, stand a post, but still can't buy a cold beer. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Mimgan

As a Retired Navy Chief, I concur with your statement.

Mimgan

I hear you 100%.

However, it may be people like me who ruined it for everyone when the law was less restrictive in the late 70's and we took it too far.

To those who are currently in the 18 to late 20's and who are mature enough to enjoy a few adult beverages,,, my complete and total apologies.

Can 20 year olds drink? Sure they can - just ask most college students!:p:D Can they legally do it? Not in the U.S., or on CCL. They can in any Mexican port, and some Caribbean ones.:)

Actually San Juan and St Thomas are US properties and therefore the US drinking age of 21 applies.

Not true. In the USVI, the age is 18.

From the VI Code:

The owner of any nightclub, bar or dance hall holding a license to dispense alcoholic beverages pursuant to Title 27, section 302, Virgin Islands Code, shall prominently display a sign which clearly states that it is a violation of law for alcohol to be sold to any person under the age of eighteen (18).

It's also 18 for Puerto Rico. This is from Wikipedia:

Unlike most U.S. territories and states, Puerto Rico's drinking age is 18. That, coupled with the fact that the U.S. does not require U.S. residents to have a passport to travel between Puerto Rico and the continental U.S., means Puerto Rico is becoming increasingly popular during spring break. Beer and hard liquor is available at almost every grocery store, convenience store, panadería (bakery) and meat shop. There are many bars just off the sidewalk that cater to those of age, especially in San Juan and Old San Juan.

Oops-- just saw that you'd already corrected yourself. Mea culpa!

I think some Carnival employees care.

She can certainly drink. She won't be able to buy but if you buy for her no one will give her grief about it. Some will say this is wrong, unethical, border line evil. But if you want a factual answer, yes, she can not buy but can certainly consume.

Not my experience...but I will say I have a feeling it varies from ship to ship, Carnival employee to Carnival employee.

We were on the Conquest in August 07. We purchased wine at dinner (we were celebrating my parents 50 wedding ann.) My dd was 17 (looked 25 with make up :cool:) at the time. We asked our server for a glass for dd. The server said, "I'm sorry; she is not allowed to have alcohol." I said, "but I'm her mom. I will be serving it to her, not you." The server replied, "I'm sorry, but I could get in trouble."

So our experience was, Carnival does care.

Can 20 year olds drink? Sure they can - just ask most college students!:p:D Can they legally do it? Not in the U.S., or on CCL. They can in any Mexican port, and some Caribbean ones.:)

SO TRUE!!!! :)

I think some Carnival employees care.

Not my experience...but I will say I have a feeling it varies from ship to ship, Carnival employee to Carnival employee.

We were on the Conquest in August 07. We purchased wine at dinner (we were celebrating my parents 50 wedding ann.) My dd was 17 (looked 25 with make up :cool:) at the time. We asked our server for a glass for dd. The server said, "I'm sorry; she is not allowed to have alcohol." I said, "but I'm her mom. I will be serving it to her, not you." The server replied, "I'm sorry, but I could get in trouble."

So our experience was, Carnival does care.

I guess you misunderstood me. If you ask a server on the Lido "Hey, can you bring my daughter some beers" he may very well not do it. Instead, you just go up to the bar, order two beers, go back to your chair and give one to your daughter.

You can be removed from the ship at the nearest port if you provide alcohol to an underage drinker on on board the ship. Unless you like playing Russian Roulette, I would suggest not doing that.

Yeah, and if she complains to the maitre 'd about not getting her glass of wine in the dining room she'll be banned from Carnival for life.

Right.

just don't think i will ever get over the fact, that our 18,19, and 20 year old brave young men and women can take up a weapon, stand a post, but still can't buy a cold beer. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Mimgan

+100

Mimgan

Absolutely correct. If you're old enough to die for this country, you should be old enough to have a drink first. But the military is all about protecting our freedoms, not enjoying those freedoms we protect......and that means upholding the law, not breaking it.

Clearly you have never been to either location with persons under the age of 21. The legal age to purchase alcoholic beverages in both Puerto Rico (San Juan) and the USVI (St. Thomas) is 18. (Links have been provided by others)

And I corrected myself in post 25. Maybe you should read the entire thread before flaming someone. :rolleyes:

Did I state something as fact that I should have to provide a source for? Or did I state a possibility as to why the age is 21 because of what could happen? Going in this direction, i only stated a possible reason as to why it is the way it is, whereas you try to state as fact that Carnival doesn't care.......any source for you nugget of wisdom? can you get John Heald and the beards to agree with your statement? The management cares (hence the rule) but they cannot be in all places at all times to ensure all employees do their jobs properly.

Again, try reading all of the posts and all of the words in the posts.

Archived