Alternative to Athens

CathyCruises

I just found out there will be over 8000 pax in Athens the day we are there!! Since I have been there a few times, I am looking for an alterntive I can get booked right away!! I think I remember Cruisemom (?) recommending a taxi ride to someplace interesting and I am all ears for suggestions. I would like it to be something we can do with 2-8 people max.

Thanks,

Cathy

I can highly recommend a full day seeing Corinth, Mycenae, and Epidavros. Corinth was a very important Greek city that was virtually destroyed and rebuilt by the Romans (plus you get to see the Corinth canal). Mycenae is an absolutely stunning setting and home of King Agamemnon of the Trojan war. The remains (especially the lion gate and the tombs) are something I'll never forget. And Epidavros was the site of an ancient "spa" and healing center, as well as having a beautifully preserved theatre.

I did a private two with two others (3 total) with Jordan:

http://www.athens-tours.gr/

I don't think he can fit more than that in his taxi -- maybe 4 in a pinch. He was great; he kept us entertained with stories from Greek history and mythology all day.

Totally second Cynthia's suggestions and suggest that the best way to do it would be to organise a private tour. I think it would be quite difficult by public transport (may not even be possible). The only other alternative is to hire a car/van, but that relies on someone having the courage to drive in an unfamiliar country.

You can be pretty sure that quite a number of the other 8,000 cruise ship passengers will also be booking private tours so you will need to get on to this ASAP.

The Corinth Canal is well worth seeing - quite amazing. Unfortunately, we were there very late in the season last year (Nov) and there was no activity in the canal. Seeing a ship pass through must be really something to see.

Exactly the info I was looking for and thanks so much. I have already emailed Jordan; I didn't see that exact tour on his website but I am sure he can make it happen.

I almost had a heart attack when I saw how many passengers would be there that day--that's by far the worst day; even Rome only has 6000 that day and of course can absorb them much better than the Acropolis can! I will never forget shuffling up the walkway taking tiny baby steps--drove me nuts!

This sounds like such a great alternative!

Thanks again,

Cathy

I'm glad it sounds good to you!

The tour we took is under "Argolis" in his Day Trips. Here's a link:

http://www.athens-tours.gr/argolis_tour.html

You may have to talk to him about getting to everything in the time you have. We were disembarking the ship that day so at the end of the day he dropped us at our hotels. There wasn't any time pressure to make the ship. We didn't have a lot of time at Navplio because we chose to spend more time at Corinth and Mycenae (ate lunch at a cute little taverna near Mycenae rather than in Navplio).

You may have to talk to him about getting to everything in the time you have. We were disembarking the ship that day so at the end of the day he dropped us at our hotels. There wasn't any time pressure to make the ship. We didn't have a lot of time at Navplio because we chose to spend more time at Corinth and Mycenae (ate lunch at a cute little taverna near Mycenae rather than in Navplio).

I have already heard back from him! He speaks great English and in fact mentioned that he has a client/friend who works for my same company in Southern California.

We don't depart till 6 PM but I will want to be back on the ship by 5; he said he would meet us at 7:30 AM so we should have a nice long day!

Cathy

I have already heard back from him! He speaks great English and in fact mentioned that he has a client/friend who works for my same company in Southern California.

We don't depart till 6 PM but I will want to be back on the ship by 5; he said he would meet us at 7:30 AM so we should have a nice long day!

Cathy

I've used him too - he was excellent. Had the ability to alter the day as we went along to suit us. There is no question but that the next time I'm in Athens his will be the email address I'll go for.

WD

I would go to the lovely island Aegina which is a short trip away from Piraeus!

You'll find some photos here:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/565424890CLosBR

Screwcork

Please tell me how you did this, as we are on a cruise also--7 am til 6 pm....Did u rush? High speed ferry? How much time did u spend in Aegina? Did u take a taxi once there? Was it worth the trip?

Unfortunately I'd really like to go to Hydra, but not enough time. Thanks for the info---we've been to Athens alot also....and the surrounding areas mentioned above....

Please tell me how you did this, as we are on a cruise also--7 am til 6 pm....Did u rush? High speed ferry? How much time did u spend in Aegina? Did u take a taxi once there? Was it worth the trip?

Unfortunately I'd really like to go to Hydra, but not enough time. Thanks for the info---we've been to Athens alot also....and the surrounding areas mentioned above....

We did not rush, the ferry takes less than an hour and takes you directly into Aegina town. It's a very short walk into the town from the ferry. We had a very relaxing day with a Greek salad at a nice tavern, and if you want to go to the beach, there are small beaches - also on a walking distance, and yes, it was worth the trip!

Screwcork

We did not rush, the ferry takes less than an hour and takes you directly into Aegina town. It's a very short walk into the town from the ferry. We had a very relaxing day with a Greek salad at a nice tavern, and if you want to go to the beach, there are small beaches - also on a walking distance, and yes, it was worth the trip!

Screwcork

There's a 9:45 am hydrofoil to, and a 3:00pm on the way back. From what I can see, that's

about what will fit into our time schedule. Not going to go to a beach, but looking for picturesque.....What do u think, and is it not-so-touristy? Thanks again.

There's a 9:45 am hydrofoil to, and a 3:00pm on the way back. From what I can see, that's

about what will fit into our time schedule. Not going to go to a beach, but looking for picturesque.....What do u think, and is it not-so-touristy? Thanks again.

I think you should do it! In addition it's not as hot as it can be in Piraeus and Athens!

Screwcork

I can highly recommend a full day seeing Corinth, Mycenae, and Epidavros. Corinth was a very important Greek city that was virtually destroyed and rebuilt by the Romans (plus you get to see the Corinth canal). Mycenae is an absolutely stunning setting and home of King Agamemnon of the Trojan war. The remains (especially the lion gate and the tombs) are something I'll never forget. And Epidavros was the site of an ancient "spa" and healing center, as well as having a beautifully preserved theatre.

Family with 2 teens previously had a one day port stop and visited Athens. For a 2nd visit to Athens in August, I am trying to decide between a private tour to this area (but not enough time to visit Epidavros) or spending another DIY day in Athens (taxi to Lycabettus Hill, walk to Benaki Museum, then guided tour of New Acropolis Museum with Athens Walking Tours, followed by shopping in Plaka).

Which one would you do with teens?

Family with 2 teens previously had a one day port stop and visited Athens. For a 2nd visit to Athens in August, I am trying to decide between a private tour to this area (but not enough time to visit Epidavros) or spending another DIY day in Athens (taxi to Lycabettus Hill, walk to Benaki Museum, then guided tour of New Acropolis Museum with Athens Walking Tours, followed by shopping in Plaka).

Which one would you do with teens?

IMO, everyone would enjoy Mycenae (the setting and the tombs are definitely awe-inspiring) but Corinth may look like just another ruined Roman town, depending on where else you've been already... Of course, the Corinth canal is very interesting but truthfully is only about a 15-minute stop. Then again, I've heard you can bungee-jump from the bridge...:eek:

A hard choice, as the Acropolis Museum would also interesting for all and (depending on your teens) shopping in the Plaka might be a big plus. In August, an easier day might be just the ticket.

Then again, I've heard you can bungee-jump from the bridge...:eek:

OK; well that settles it. We're definitely going to Athens. I can just imagine my teens insisting that they have to go bungee jumping as soon as they see it's available.

This tour of Corinth and Mycenae looks very interesting. I have to ask though - how strenuous is the Mycenae portion? I was looking at further information about Mycenae and it looks like there is considerable climbing - is that correct? I don't want to sign on for something that will be too much. Thanks. Linda.

This tour of Corinth and Mycenae looks very interesting. I have to ask though - how strenuous is the Mycenae portion? I was looking at further information about Mycenae and it looks like there is considerable climbing - is that correct? I don't want to sign on for something that will be too much. Thanks. Linda.

Yes, there is some climbing. From where the cars park to the Lion's Gate it's a slow, steady uphill climb on a paved road, with a couple of detours (small museum) and resting places if desired. From the Lion's Gate up to the palace/citadel on the top of the hill, it's a steeper climb, and rocky. I seem to recall there was loose gravel underfoot in some places, so you'd need to watch your step carefully. The vistas from the top are beautiful.

Here's a photo that shows both the path to the surorunding walls (where the Lion's Gate is) and the citadel at the top.

http://www.greeklandscapes.com/image-slides/mycenae/pages/mycenae-02.html

If you chose to only go up as far as the Lion's Gate (and just inside them, where you can see the spot excavated by Schliemann, who thought he'd uncovered the grave of Agamemnon), you'd still see a lot, plus you can do the museum. And the Tholos tomb ("Agamemnon's treasury") is on the same flat level as the car park.

Hi Cynthia, may I know roughly how much he charges for your trip as we may be do the same as we're disembarking in Athens too ?

Thanks,

ec

We just booked this trip for November and it was 250 euros for 4 passengers. We are looking for another couple to share with us.

We will arriving in Athens Nov. 8th and staying for a few days. We are interested in doing a few tours. I may have missed which tour and date you are discussing but we may be interested in joining you.

Yes, there is some climbing. From where the cars park to the Lion's Gate it's a slow, steady uphill climb on a paved road, with a couple of detours (small museum) and resting places if desired. From the Lion's Gate up to the palace/citadel on the top of the hill, it's a steeper climb, and rocky. I seem to recall there was loose gravel underfoot in some places, so you'd need to watch your step carefully. The vistas from the top are beautiful.

Here's a photo that shows both the path to the surorunding walls (where the Lion's Gate is) and the citadel at the top.

http://www.greeklandscapes.com/image-slides/mycenae/pages/mycenae-02.html

If you chose to only go up as far as the Lion's Gate (and just inside them, where you can see the spot excavated by Schliemann, who thought he'd uncovered the grave of Agamemnon), you'd still see a lot, plus you can do the museum. And the Tholos tomb ("Agamemnon's treasury") is on the same flat level as the car park.

Thank you for the picture.

We have booked with Jordan to see the Corinth Canal, Ancient Corinth, Acrocorinth and Mycenae with a lunch stop from 0830 - 4 p.m. - we are docked 0800 - 5 p.m.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks again for putting us on to Jordan.

I would go to the lovely island Aegina which is a short trip away from Piraeus!

You'll find some photos here:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/565424890CLosBR

Screwcork

Nice photos! I am thinking of Aegina as an option as well but wonder if I would have enough time to get to the Temple of Aphaia? Did you go there or consider it?

Archived