Upgrades

geordiebing

I am booked a lower cabin on the Avalon Tapestry in July but since reading these threads ,I am having doubts whether I should have paid a few more hundred for a higher cabin. Should I pay more or what are the chances of an upgrade . I known it happens on ocean ships

This is a really difficult question to answer - and the responses will be completely subjective...

Many people will not travel without at least a French Balcony - others do not care. It depends on how much time you plan to spend in your room - as that will be the only time that you will get the advantage of the the larger window/door. If you are someone who likes to sleep with the curtains open, then this might be for you... be prepared, however, to wake up and find someone docked right beside you, and looking in your cabin. Or, having someone on the shore peering into your room.

There are lots of opinions about cabin placement on the boat --> is it too close to the lounge, the thrusters, the gym, underneath the walking track etc. That is different than wishing to move from the bottom cabin - where the biggest difference is often the window size.

We have just completed our 4th river cruise. We have upgraded once - and while it was nice to have the French balcony, I don't think that I would care to do it again. Mostly because of the cost. We have been able to do a cruse each year by watching closely for a sale - and then booking lowest category cabin. Finances are an issue for us - and we are taking the cruise for the history, culture etc. The room is less important. This is not the reality for everyone however.

As far as upgrades go - I don't think it happens all that often in River Cruising. There aren't that many cabins on each boat. We did get an upgrade on our AMA cruise - but it wasn't up from a window to a (French) balcony... it was the same room, different location. It was really nice to have the balcony - but after splurging once, we decided that it wasn't necessary for further travel.

I am sure that others will chime in here - and perhaps can offer different thoughts on why you should consider it.

This may not be an easy decision. However, I am sure you will enjoy the cruise where ever your cabin is situated.

We have done two river cruises, one with Viking and one with Grand Circle. On both, the room sizes were all the same, no matter what the category was. Our take was if the rooms are all the same, except that you are higher up, and may have a french balcony, why pay the extra money? We enjoy having lunch in the towns that we visit, and sampling the local foods. The money saved on the room helps pay for this.

Cheers,

I wouldn't worry about being in the lower level too much. I don't know about the Avalon Tapestry but we did the Avalon Felicity and the lower level was ok. We only stayed in the cabins to sleep and shower and spent most of our time in the lounges and sun deck.

There were no issues with noises or odors as some may suggest on the Avalon. Some will say that looking out your lower level window you will see debris floating by, we didn't see anything of that nature. Perhaps someone that was on the Tapestry can comment better. And not having a french balcony wasn't an issue for us either. Cabins on the lower deck were the same size as the upper.

Shortly after I booked our tour I thought about upgrading to an upper level but decided the extra $ was best spent on the cruise. We had no regrets about our selection. You will probably not get a free upgrade. The ships are usually sold out.

This is a question about cost. DW and I couldn't disagree more with previous posters. Cabins on river boats are small, and no matter what one says, one spends a good amount of time in the cabin-think before breakfast and before dinner. 150 sq ft is not a lot of space.

While we are not rich, we are comfortable and believe the Brinck's truck does not follow the hearse. Therefore we think it is better to enjoy the trip without being cramped or dark; and the lower cabins are darker.

If, however, the money factor is the driver disregard this post.

This is a question about cost. DW and I couldn't disagree more with previous posters. Cabins on river boats are small, and no matter what one says, one spends a good amount of time in the cabin-think before breakfast and before dinner. 150 sq ft is not a lot of space.

While we are not rich, we are comfortable and believe the Brinck's truck does not follow the hearse. Therefore we think it is better to enjoy the trip without being cramped or dark; and the lower cabins are darker.

I couldn't agree with you more (especially about the Brinck's truck). We have done one river cruise and will leave on the second one in 14 days (but whose counting?) and the openess of the French balcony and beautiful views as you are getting ready in the morning with that first cup of coffee or preparing for dinner with a glass of wine looking out at the scenery is priceless!

B. Cole

All of Avalon's cabins are 172 sq ft. unless you opt out for the suites which are 250 sq ft and which I believe are close to $2,000 upgrades. Obviously the lower cabins are a bit darker than the upper as the windows are maybe 1/2 the size of the french balcony windows but as stated below we only slept there. We didn't hole up in the cabin, rathar most time was spent on shore or if cruising in the lounges/sun deck.

The Brink's truck chasing the hearse? LOL! Probably won't for us! I guess we would prefer to go on more cruises and sleep in the 'dark cramped' lower cabin. LOL!

I guess, geordiebing, it depends on why you are thinking you would like to upgrade... If it is for location on the boat, or size of window, only you will know it the financial costs are worth it.

As Paulinda states, the cabins are all the same - except for the suites.

The Brink's truck shouldn't be following the hearse for either DH or myself --> but I am hoping to live for another 30 or 40 years, and only work for another 5 - so want to have the extra $$ to put towards the "next trip"...

One thing to consider: The lower levels of the boat are more prone to feel the effects of the boat bumping the walls of a lock. We experienced that on our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise and chose a higher deck for our Russia cruise because of it.

My only major river cruise was a Nile cruise. We spent almost no time outside of sleeping in our cabin. When on the ship, we were on the deck looking at the countryside going by or in the bar, etc. I don't see the big deal about spending more for a cabin.

+1 Good attitude!

This is my 3rd River cruise and upgraded 2 times by choice and once because I waited to late and that was all that was left. I hate that it cost almost as much to upgrade as it does for the trip itself, but for river cruises, they are usually a one time destination like Russia, China and Egypt so I make the most of them.

I like the extra space that come with Uniworld ships and cannot speak for other lines. The space helps on 2 week trips. So upgrade if your ship has more space. I actually measured out a room on the floor in my home to compare the size.

Most of my site seeing is up top and not from the room. Odds are you will do the same so don't for this reason alone except if your the type who likes lone time then it is a nice to have.

Spurge if you can but not past your comfort limit. Nothing worse returning from a trip to regrets.

Blah Blah Blah how I ramble on. Hope your not more confused now.

On our first river cruise on the Avalon Tranquility in Oct/Nov we booked the lowest category cabin, and received a phone call before the cruise from our TA asking if we would accept a no cost upgrade to a French

Balcony. We couldn't believe it, and were ecstatic. We absolutely loved the floor to ceiling windows, and when we book our next one we think we'll book the French Balcony again. On our cruise it was a bit cold to be on the Sun Deck, but looking outside of our huge window from our stateroom I got some gorgeous pictures and could close the window if we got cold!

Archived