Best way to Book ? - Platinum Balcony discount and priviledges

Hi all,

I currently have 3 cat D8 balconies cabins reserved (deposit paid, June 8th final payment for sailing Aug 21) on the AOS. We will be travelling with my grand parents (2)and inlaws (2) and of course my own family (me, spouse and 2 kids) i.e. a total of 8 people. The intended arrangement is obviously my family will occupy the quad cabin and the grand parents and inlaws each taking of the double cabins. Me and my wife are both Platinum C&A status (presumably my kids too because of our status) and therefore eligible for the $75 balcony discounts and perks. My inlaws and grand parents have only cruised with RCCL once and therefore do not have Platinum C&A status. My question is is there anyway I can maximize the benefit we can get . To clarify the questions are:

1. Can I put my wife's name in one cabin and my name with the quad and therefore have the Platinum discount applied to the 2 cabins (rather then having all my family in one cabin which I can therefore apply the balcony discount once)? (oh and I have also forgotten to mention that me and my wife both are shareholders and therefore would make sense to have separate cabins under each to take advantage of the $100OBC each.)

2. Assuming I can do 1. above, can I even switch around and have one of my kids name on one of the inlaws/grandparents cabin and therefore take advantage of the Platinum perks/discounts as well? I am just not sure how they would count the status of my kids if they are not staying in the same room.

3. I understand if the above works, I will ultimately have to switch names back to "normal" i.e. the intended way of occupancy. But do they even allow this? If so when should I do the switch names ? after the final payment? or when checking in at the terminal.

4. Will this also means it will mess up all the documentation etc... or many people do this all the time?

5. Lastly, I am just wondering how the "refer a friend " $25 OBC works. Given my inlaws/grandparents not really likely to go cruise again. They are not really interested in accumulating C&A status but would rather save as much as possible. They have yet to apply for a C&A number since their one and only cruise in 2000 on board the voyager. I am wonder if I can just refer them as first timer

Thanks in advance.... I believe I need to get the names for the cabins nailed down prior to final payment so I am just looking for ways to save an extra few $ and hopefully can extend the little platinum perks to the inlaws/grandparents

Thanks again

@lovescruising - Thanks for the quick reply. So when should I switch the names back ? Will they give us a hard time or this has been done all the time? Also do you know when the OBC is applied (thinking how early I can switch the names back). Also are you saying one of my kids can switch with one of the grandparents/inlaws and therefore carry with them the platinum status tot hat cabin

Thanks again !

BTW @SeasUs - yes they do have Cat D8 "Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony" (sorry about the confusion...AOS=Allure of the Seas). Just to clarify , I am asking because only my family is platinum status, so trying to see how I can extend it to the rest of my family (inlaws/grandparents).txs

@lovescruising - Thanks for the quick reply. So when should I switch the names back ? Will they give us a hard time or this has been done all the time? Also do you know when the OBC is applied (thinking how early I can switch the names back). Also are you saying one of my kids can switch with one of the grandparents/inlaws and therefore carry with them the platinum status tot hat cabin

Thanks again !

BTW @SeasUs - yes they do have Cat D8 "Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony" (sorry about the confusion...AOS=Allure of the Seas). Just to clarify , I am asking because only my family is platinum status, so trying to see how I can extend it to the rest of my family (inlaws/grandparents).txs

you can't combine shareholders with balcony discount

Are you sure about that? Share holders benefit is OBC, balcony discount is taken off of your fare. I'm pretty sure I combined in the past, although things do change and it could be different since last time I cruised.:)

Are you sure about that? Share holders benefit is OBC, balcony discount is taken off of your fare. I'm pretty sure I combined in the past, although things do change and it could be different since last time I cruised.:)

Sad but true...:( you cannot combine anything with the balcony discount except Visa points...can't combine C&A coupons with anything either...

This happened more than two years ago. You now cannot combine the shareholder's OBC with ANY other RC discount or OBC. (outside OBC is a different matter)

Sad but true...:( you cannot combine anything with the balcony discount except Visa points...can't combine C&A coupons with anything either...

C&A coupons can be combined with book-onboard OBC, but NOT with balcony discount.

I recently took a survey that they sent to me post-cruise.

I wrote a LONG suggestion that if they were going to limit combinability, they should let US pick which two to combine from a laundry list of discounts/OBC.

This happened more than two years ago. You now cannot combine the shareholder's OBC with ANY other RC discount or OBC. (outside OBC is a different matter)

C&A coupons can be combined with book-onboard OBC, but NOT with balcony discount.

I recently took a survey that they sent to me post-cruise.

I wrote a LONG suggestion that if they were going to limit combinability, they should let US pick which two to combine from a laundry list of discounts/OBC.

AMEN! From your lips to Adam's ears!!:)

Guess its been a while for me! Glad I sold my stock, and I will discontinue my quest for new savings certificates on RC website since I can't use them anyways! LOL:)

But I WILL contunue to rack up points on my RC Visa....right? :confused: (I used platinum balcony discount....)

Thanks again !

Only the people with the status get the rewards as far as coupon books etc. The cost reduction yes, is applied to the room. MIL sailed with us in same room past Feb her first cruise. Cost reduction for room but only myself and DF had all other benefits of status.

Sorry I missed the part about the shareholders OBC.

OP you can change the names anytime you are ready - no they will not give you a hard time. Plat. balcony discount will be applied immediately to the fare - tell them when making the change you want the discount. I have found they do not automatically apply it unless you mention it. As far as the children go, I am not sure about the discount. I do not think they have to be the "lead" name on the reservation. If they are platnium and in the cabin, I would think they should be entitled to the C & A discount. I would ask - it can't hurt.

Thanks for all the replies. I called today and asked and for the record, they told me as long as the person in the cabin is a platinum member (regardless of age) they can honor the discount for the cabin. So I switch my kids' names to those cabins. Now the only thing is when trying to make diner/entertainment reservation it becomes super confusing. Hopefully I can easily switch everything back easily once onboard like everyone said here.

Btw, does anyone know if once on board you start to switch names around will that have any effect on your entertainment/dining reservation? I would assume not since they go with names rather then cabin number.

Txs again

Archived