Which cruise line???

Kilikikina

You can do it on this board.

The only thing I'll warn you is that in the end you will not reach a conclusion by asking what the differences are because many people have their favorites.

My recommendation is that if you are considering two or three cruise lines is to read what people say on each respective board and get a sense of what the vast majority of the posters think that the strengths and weaknesses are of each cruise line.

Keith

Thanks Keith! It's one of the reasons I didn't want to go to the line's forums, because I figured I would get great reviews because that is the line they prefer. Then I would be really confused!!

Really what I was looking for was:

Going to the Bahamas on a 3 or 4 day. Just my cousin and I are going. Never been on any cruise ship other than Disney. We do not gamble, and not really into the ship activities. We mainly want to just relax, I don't even think we will get off the ship at the ports.

I guess I am wondering which ship would be best for 30 something's, with more of a relaxed feel, not a PARTY ship, lol. Best one for food?

As Keith said, this is the board. However, the next problem is how many people have sailed the all of the lines you have suggested. We are frequently asked things like- "which of these lines is the best for....". If you list 3 lines, how many people have sailed all 3 lines in that location? Usually not many.

But fire away. That is what this is all about.

If you use the search this forum feature top right with Carnival vs rcl you will probably come up with several other discussions on the same topic

Good luck

It is really about your personal preference in the end

A lot of Carnival's ships have a Serenity Deck which is adults only and the mean that! The chaises, chairs and tables are wicker and have cushions on them. Most have two hot tubs, again adult only and you can get towels there. It is quiet there and it fills up fast on sea days. The Fantasy, out of Charleston, to Nassau & Freeport's not as big as the Glory's and the Glory has a bar there. You NEVER see or hear kids here.

Princess has something like this but you mast PAY to uses it! The Century had something like that but haven't been on her in years.

I haven't sailed the ones you listed, though I have done tons of research. I have sailed Princess, Celebrity and NCL. Just a few quick comparisons.

IMO most of the cruiselines are more similar than different. I find the food (subjective) to be good convention food, you will not go away hungry but don't expect high-end food because nothing is cooked to order (except maybe a burger, omelet).

Entertainment styles vary a bit. Celebrity was more production shows, Princess and NCL more comedians, single entertainers.

Dress on the ship varies, ie. Celebrity is much more formal, Princess is kind of in between and NCL is casual.

Carry-on Wine/Soda Rules vary also - none allow you to carry on alcohol but some allow you to bring on wine on. You can also almost always bring on soda and water if you want to save some money.

I usually chose by price and itinerary, not by ship. And we are seriously considering Carnival because I have been reading pretty good things about them so want to try them for myself.

Thanks Keith! It's one of the reasons I didn't want to go to the line's forums, because I figured I would get great reviews because that is the line they prefer. Then I would be really confused!!

Really what I was looking for was:

Going to the Bahamas on a 3 or 4 day. Just my cousin and I are going. Never been on any cruise ship other than Disney. We do not gamble, and not really into the ship activities. We mainly want to just relax, I don't even think we will get off the ship at the ports.

I guess I am wondering which ship would be best for 30 something's, with more of a relaxed feel, not a PARTY ship, lol. Best one for food?

In trying to give advice, I think it is important to know what the poster has sailed. We have sailed Royal Caribbean, Princess, HAL and Celebrity. If I read what you are planning, I would suggest Princess, although I'm not sure they do 3 and 4 day cruises........don't know for sure because we normally don't do anything but a 10 day cruise at a minimum, at least for the last few years.

Princess to me is laid back more than RC........they don't have as many pool games, certainly less announcements and they are very low key in hawking the drink of the day, and that type of stuff. We found on our last Princess cruise their food was excellant.......the MDR was almost specialty restaurant quality..........however this can vary ship to ship and cruise to cruise. Food is very subjective........taste buds just aren't the same in people;)

Keep in mind however that ultimately what you do on a cruise, and how much you participate in is up to you. You can be as laid back as you want. I'm sure you will be happy with most lines.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Is there a forum where I can ask in general the differences between the cruise lines? I don't want to post in Carnival's and talk only of RCC, or the other way around. Thanks!

Well, this involves a little work, but you can start by checking out the various cruise lines for the itinerary you are looking for. Then, look up info on the ships they have sailing that route. Once you have the ship name and itinerary, start reading the cruisecritic member reviews for each of those ships. Those should give you some specific questions/issues that you can bring up on each of the cruise line boards, to get answers. That way, you can avoid comparing apples and oranges (eg: a small older ship from one line, sailing the same route as another line's modern mega-ship). Good luck!:)

Princess doesn't do 3 to 4 day cruises to the bahamas. We were looking for a quick getaway in the fall and ended up with Carnival or RCC in most of our searches.

Our TA advised that these cruises are usually 'party cruises', but I'm sure you can find some quiet and relaxation regardless.

You can use the 'find a cruise' function on this website to narrow your search. Then you can look at reviews for those ships/lines. If you have a TA who specializes in cruises, then you can talk to them. My TA knew what we like and what kind of people we are when we booked our first cruise and steered us to Princess. We haven't been disappointed.

Good Luck

Thanks everyone! I have cruised before, but I have only been on Disney, so it is hard to have all these choices! Disney only had two ships at the time, and I wanted 7 days, so my mind was made up for me.

It looks like I have it narrowed down by the time we have to go and also the fact that it is a shorter cruise. It is between:

Norwegian Sky

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Imagination

RCC Majesty of the Seas

RCC Monach of the Seas

So I will be researching those. I assumed that I would want to be on RCC because I will be honest, I have the stereotypes of the other cruise lines. I think of Norwegian as retired, Carnival as CRAZY PARTY!

But I have read some of the reviews and it sounds like maybe Norwegian may be the one for us! If anyone has sailed on any of these and want to comment, please do!

Airfares are definitely a factor if you're not within driving range of a port. We were looking at a quick cruise on Carnival Imagination, the reviews were encouraging and I could cash in airmiles and just have to pay the taxes. Then I looked at flights :mad:. Suffice it to say, we're didn't book the cruise.

To the OP, you mentioned you want 3 or 4 days to Bahamas and simply just want to relax and don't think you'll get off the ship at the port. So I guess you just want to find a short cruise that go somewhere warm and it doesn't HAVE to be the Bahamas, but I could be wrong.

If this is the case, you can also look into RCL Liberty OTS (depart from Fort Lauderdale) and Jewel OTS (depart from Tampa). They have 4-nighters going to Cozumel so technically these are Western Caribbean itineraries.

Yes there is only one port of call but if you aren't likely getting off the ship, these might fit your needs. Just a few more options to explore. IMO, Liberty of the Seas is just at a different level than those ships sailing the 3-4 nights Bahamas itinerary (except the Disney Dream). These cruises are all in the winter. So if you are looking for a cruise in the summer or early fall, then looks like Majesty/Monarch OTS are your only RCL options.

Have fun planning.:)

Based on your infromation, I would choose RCCL. HAL and Celbrity seem to cater to an older group. NCL is a little to "freestyle" for a 3-4 day cruise in my opinion. Disney is great but a bit too kid oriented and expensive. So, if I were `going to do that cruise, I wold choose RCCL.

yeah, I'm checking out the itineraries. I am lucky that I work for an airline, so airfare doesn't factor into my decision.

And you're sure you can get on any flight at any time just because you work for an airline? Or....do you have to request ahead of time and hope there's available space? How does that work, exactly?? TIA.

Oh and price can't factor into it because the prices are really about the same.

I am going to research the islands they go to. Cococay, and Great Stirrup Cay.

Both of these private islands have been owned for a very long time by the cruise lines you've mentioned. RCI owns Coco Cay (Eleuthera,Bahamas), and NCL owns Great Stirrup Cay (Eleuthera, Bahamas). They're pretty much right next door to each other. Coco Cay has recently added a lot of "play venues", and Great Stirrup Cay had some beach erosion years ago, but I think it's OK now. Both of these private islands are TENDER ports - meaning the cruise ship cannot anchor there so that you can just walk off. The ship has to anchor off-shore in deeper water, and you have to TENDER in...meaning you wait in long lines to get on a small (usually a lifeboat) boat that's carried on the ship, and make the trip between the cruise ship and the private island. Same thing on the way back. And, I'm assuming that the RCI and NCL ships also go to Nassau? Or maybe Key West?

Of the ships you listed, I can tell you about Monarch (and Majesty is her twin sister -- they are the last of the Sovereign Class left in the RC fleet). Monarch is an older, smaller ship -- but still very beautiful. We sailed on her nearly 3 years ago, when she was still homeported in LA -- everyone here still misses her! :(

If you want a balcony cabin, you'll need to spring for a JS or higher -- everything else is inside or OV. You'll also want to study deck plans carefully, as many cabins have obstructed views (lifeboats). If you are a die-hard "aft-cabin" person, you're out of luck, as there are none on Monarch. There are two pools and two hot tubs, but no solarium or "adults-only" areas. The only specialty restaurant is Jade, a sushi bar, over the buffet.

That's about all I remember --but I would sail on her again in a heartbeat! :cool:

To the OP, you mentioned you want 3 or 4 days to Bahamas and simply just want to relax and don't think you'll get off the ship at the port. So I guess you just want to find a short cruise that go somewhere warm and it doesn't HAVE to be the Bahamas, but I could be wrong.

If this is the case, you can also look into RCL Liberty OTS (depart from Fort Lauderdale) and Jewel OTS (depart from Tampa). They have 4-nighters going to Cozumel so technically these are Western Caribbean itineraries.

Yes there is only one port of call but if you aren't likely getting off the ship, these might fit your needs. Just a few more options to explore. IMO, Liberty of the Seas is just at a different level than those ships sailing the 3-4 nights Bahamas itinerary (except the Disney Dream). These cruises are all in the winter. So if you are looking for a cruise in the summer or early fall, then looks like Majesty/Monarch OTS are your only RCL options.

Have fun planning.:)

This is a great suggestion. All the cruiselines have their oldest, smallest ships doing the 3 and 4 day Bahama runs. That's not to say those ships are bad, just lacking in the latest amenities and improvements. Liberty of the Seas is a large ship with all the newest features, and Jewel of the Seas is considered one of the most beautiful ships afloat. They are definitely a great step above Monarach, Majesty, Sensation, Imagination, and Sky.

thanks cruisers and donna! I believe that I searched for other cities to depart from, but I think because of the time we have to leave, there are none from Tampa. If I am remembering correctly. I think I saw some that leave from New Orleans, I may have to check those out.

I have been trying to look at the photos of the cabins. I am very shocked at how small they are!! Now I see why people say that Disney's are so large!

Imsulin...There is some pre-plannning involved with flying. I can fly on most airlines and it is stand-by. But if I can fly into any city in Florida on 5 different airlines, I don't worry much!! I have many options. I also fly out a day or two in advance and just hang out at the beach.

You are correct! We thought Bahamas because that's the obvious and most travelled to when you are on a 3 or 4 day from the East coast. Or at least that is how I think of it. I'd rather go to Bermuda. I have been on a Western Caribbean cruise, so I wouldn't mind going back to Key West. Cozumel I could leave.

And yes, it will be in the fall. :(

Archived