V or Quantas?

V or Quantas? Which would you recommend from Los Angeles to Sydney?

Cost of Economy airfare is about the same. Which is more comfortable? Better amenities?

And then there are the Chinese airlines (China Southern, Air China, etc.) who represent the fastest growing airlines in the world and who signed a $10 billion deal back in March with Boeing. These Chinese airlines seem have the newest planes with the best service and great prices because they're aggressively pursuing market share.....

And then there are the Chinese airlines (China Southern, Air China, etc.) who represent the fastest growing airlines in the world and who signed a $10 billion deal back in March with Boeing. These Chinese airlines seem have the newest planes with the best service and great prices because they're aggressively pursuing market share.....

I have had a look at their site and it's not that easy to navigate, would you know if they have direct flights to LA from SYD/BNE or do you have to go via China, I am interested for next year for ourselves.

Paul

Cost of Economy airfare is about the same. Which is more comfortable? Better amenities?

Another vote from me for Qantas.

The A380 has some nice features in economy class like the self-service snack bar and power outlets and USB ports in the economy seats but from the US with everyone bringing on average the 2 bag limit, it took a particularly long time for bags to come out at the baggage claim in Sydney. Last June mine didn't appear for over an hour after the first bags started coming out and some other passengers near me missed connecting domestic flights because of this. I also found on the flight home as it was fully booked that there didn't seem to be quite as much legroom as a 747(going over I had an empty seat beside me).

So for me in future if I was going to and from LA in economy I'd prefer the 747.

I vote for Qantas..get to have a sorta Australian feed and a Australian beer (if the haven't run out) plus its not that much more expensive if you choose when you go.

It's also nice after spending time abroad to sit down watch some boring Aussie sit coms and hear a friendly Australian voice. :)..Virgin does tend to have thinner cabin staff but :D

There is no "u" in QANTAS . The Company Name is an acronym which stands for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services .

One of the oldest airlines in the World celebrating their 90th anniversary last year in 2010 .

Go for QANTAS direct flights from LA to Sydney, Melbourne, or Brisbane.

Aircraft used A-380 and Boeing 747-400 ER .

US Citizens can now also fly on QANTAS from Dallas Fort Worth direct to Brisbane, and then continues onto Sydney .

Qantas also flies daily New York - Los Angeles - Sydney/Melbourne.

They are long flights so go for Premium Economy if you stretch the budget.

I would tend to vote for Qantas good experiences, but that said, I will be on V Australia in Oct (Perhaps even liveried as Virgin Australia by that time, the change is coming!)

One to avoid is United unless it is a code share with Air New Zealand-Kiwis know how to do it and would be another good bet if you don't mind a quick trip through Auckland, but the 380 is quiet-so quiet that I have even been know to take off my noise cancelling earphones and wonder why I brought them! The only negative on the 380 is how long it takes to disembark esp if you are at the very rear (where I always seem to end up)

We are not long back from the US and flew with Qantas on the A380. Loved it!!! It is so much quieter and it was the first time I managed to sleep on a flight. If you can afford it you can pay $150 extra for the seats near the exit doors and it is worth the extra to get more space in front of you.

We are not long back from the US and flew with Qantas on the A380. Loved it!!! It is so much quieter and it was the first time I managed to sleep on a flight. If you can afford it you can pay $150 extra for the seats near the exit doors and it is worth the extra to get more space in front of you.

Liz,

Were you able to pre-book those extra leg room seats or did you have to wait until at the airport? We're not travelling until next year, but at present, we're investigating all options we have with the different airlines. We end our cruise in New Zealand and would like to fly straight out of Auckland rather than having to return to Australia (cuts another 4 hours off our journey time). I believe Qantas fly directly from Auckland to LA? If so, we'd head back home completing a full circle via the US. Have to think of my DH and his legs being cramped for 24 hours, know he'd definitely prefer extra space.

Noticed Air New Zealand are also promoting their sky couches. Has anyone used these seats, are they any good?

sky couch is nothing really new. It is basically three seats together with arms the fold up and away so you are guaranteed no one in the middle seat. That said no one in the middle has always been my dream configuration for Trans ocean flights in coach.

But no I haven't tried it either :-(

information on the pre booked seats with Qantas is

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/seat-selection/global/en

I would go Air Pacific (FIJI AIRLINE) & get a free stop over in Fiji

I have had a look at their site and it's not that easy to navigate, would you know if they have direct flights to LA from SYD/BNE or do you have to go via China, I am interested for next year for ourselves.

Paul

I believe, but I am not sure, Paul, that you would go via China. What I posted here on the Chinese airlines is information I gleaned from both The Wall Street Journal and USA Today. Both articles also said the Chinese airlines are more reasonably priced than V Australia, but I've heard good things about V Australia from a friend who is an air traffic controller. Please let me know when you book what you've booked and how things work out for you. Thanks!

Flew Virgin Australia last year, fantastic. More entertainment and food than you could ever need. Excellent flying times. Comfortable plan. We got the 2 seats just in front of the first eco exits, there is only 2 seats instead of 3 ( supost to allow extra room around exit.) We didnt have to pay more as they are not officially exit rows, but it does give you more leg room.

I'd Go for V over Qantas...Every time I've flown Qantas It's been bad...V however has always been very accomodating, larger seats, good food, better entertainment...

I know you only asked for a comparsion between Qantas & V, but I'd just like to say, my all time favourite airlines are still Cathay Pacific or Singapore Air. They are always friendly and always accomodating. On 1 flight with Singapore Airlines, my Mum was seated next to a screaming child that wouldn't settle down and was jumping all over the chairs and onto Mum, she didn't complain but the air hostesses came over an offered Mum and upgrade to Business, but Mum said no coz I was in the Row next to her and she wanted to be near me, they ended up moving both of us up to Business Class, and then offered everyone near the screaming child a coupon for money off their next flight... Can't say you'll ever get that on Qantas...

That's great service, Sam. What a nightmare travelling with a child like that. :eek:

We went British Airways (apparently when we booked then from Bris. it was a share thing and you got either QANTAS or BA. We had BA both ways.) We thought service was a bit slack both times. The staff seemed to spend most of their time talking in the galley or wherever they were.

Son travels V and Air New Zealand (refuses to go Q unless there is no other way)- reckons Air New Zealand is great.

Archived