Black Tie

crestofawave

I've been of many, many Seabourn cruises and have worn open-neck, short sleeve Nat Naste shirts and slacks and have fit in just fine. On some nights I might throw a jacket on.

Host Dan

Dan,you have told us how you like to dress but in my experience of Seabourn most Gentlemen respect the dress code,

the dress that you describe would be considered casual by most Gentlemen guests on Seabourn.

We are on the Odyssey in July and our pre cruise information, what to pack, is the same as the information given by MarciAnn and we are from the UK

It is very clear to me that it is formal optional which I will embrace and will fit with the suggested attire for all venues on board after 6pm

On nights where 'elegant casual' is suggested, I would suggest that particularly in the main dining room men put a jacket on - it may depend on who is the Maitre'd, but on one of these evenings I mistakenly told my husband it was 'casual' and when he arrived in the dining room without a jacket the Maitr'd (very quietly and kindly) told him he needed a jacket. Just something to bear in mind for those who hate jackets - it is probably worth packing just one.

Dan,you have told us how you like to dress but in my experience of Seabourn most Gentlemen respect the dress code,

the dress that you describe would be considered casual by most Gentlemen guests on Seabourn.

I think you might have misunderstood my post. If a jacket is "required" I would adhere to the dress code, and btw I always dress formally on formal optional nights. (my preference)

Host Dan

We are on the Odyssey in July and our pre cruise information, what to pack, is the same as the information given by MarciAnn and we are from the UK

It is very clear to me that it is formal optional which I will embrace and will fit with the suggested attire for all venues on board after 6pm

Glad to know the recent Seabourn information...elegant casual ( jacket/no tie) " is always appropriate in the evening". That will be just fine for us and as I remember our time on the little sister. I will pack a couple of ties for DH just in case. Looking forward to trying out the big sister!

Thanks everyone.

I do not think you can ever resolve the conflict of those that like formal nights (us) and those who want casual all the time.

Perhaps when there are simular cruises like those from Venice or even the Caribean, then Seabourn could disignate one cruise a month to have more formal nights and the passengers could decide on which cruise they prefer and perhaps keep everybody happy.

John

Something to bear in mind is that whatever the dress code each evening, the main dining room can be quite cool due to the A/C so my husband always took his jacket with him in case he needed it and I always took a wrap or suchlike. Sometimes we didn't wear them but other times we did until we 'warmed up' a bit!

Something to bear in mind is that whatever the dress code each evening, the main dining room can be quite cool due to the A/C so my husband always took his jacket with him in case he needed it and I always took a wrap or suchlike. Sometimes we didn't wear them but other times we did until we 'warmed up' a bit!

I find that the red wine also works.

I am just off a 2 week cruise on Odyssey. On the 2 formal nights, some men chose to wear a jacket but no tie. No one batted an eyelid.

The whole thing is a storm in a teacup. I think some of the Seabourn guests are more concerned about the dress code than the staff.

I am just off a 2 week cruise on Odyssey. On the 2 formal nights, some men chose to wear a jacket but no tie. No one batted an eyelid.

The whole thing is a storm in a teacup. I think some of the Seabourn guests are more concerned about the dress code than the staff.

It is not so long since Seabourn did expect men to wear DJ or dark suit and tie, particularly in the main dining room on formal nights, so it is understandable that long time Seabourn cruisers have been a bit confused about it. It is not so much that some guests are more concerned, though I bet some of the old timers are, but more of getting used to the new more relaxed rulings which have not been explained very effectively by Seabourn, as a read of this thread will testify. I think by now any past guests who look at CC will know the current position!:)

I think formal night is wonderful. Some of us still enjoy the Black tie thing.

That's great! I like watching folks dressed in their finery, I think men look very dashing in a dj. As long as you're not upset seeing people like us who are dressed somewhat more casuallly, then everybody's happy.

I think formal night is wonderful. Some of us still enjoy the Black tie thing.

That's great! I like watching folks dressed in their finery, I think men look very dashing in a dj. As long as you're not upset seeing people like us who are dressed somewhat more casuallly, then everybody's happy.

I total agree with both of you. I am so glad the cruises lines are bit more flexiable with the dress code bussiness these last few years. Everyone can enjoy the MDR and nice speciality DRs.

I like to dress up, my husband doesn't any more. We really enjoyed our month on the Spirit in 2009 and our time on Regent this year because of the relaxed atmosphere compared to some lines. My husband could wear his sports jacket and I could wear my fancy stuff that I don't have too much use for at home anymore!

Archived