Rescue efforts....rescue Me!

cr8z4cruzn

Exactly how safe is it for cruise lines to conduct water rescues? What measures are taken to ensure there are no threats against the ship and its passengers? Are the rescuees detained in a holding room away from others? Are they patted down and searched for weapons? Guarded until they've been picked up by The Coast Guard? Are ship captains required to rescue or is it done at their discretion?

Final thought.....I need be rescued from dry land and taken out to sea. Where is the rescue team when I need them? :(

Exactly how safe is it for cruise lines to conduct water rescues? What measures are taken to ensure there are no threats against the ship and its passengers? Are the rescuees detained in a holding room away from others? Are they patted down and searched for weapons? Guarded until they've been picked up by The Coast Guard? Are ship captains required to rescue or is it done at their discretion?

Final thought.....I need be rescued from dry land and taken out to sea. Where is the rescue team when I need them? :(

Do you watch a lot of late-nite trash movies? :D

John Bull

I don't think this a ridiculous question, at all.

If this person is concerned about safety sailing, the question should be asked IMO

NOTHING on a ship is more important than safety. The extremes to which the Captains, their Chief Officers, Security Officers and staffs all go to in order to assure safety of ship, crew and guests is way more than any of us are informed.

I know for sure, there is a protocal as to insuring safety of a 'rescue party' which would bring any persons needed rescue at sea aboard a cruise ship would be more than satisfactory to any of us. They assume the worst and work from that perspective. They know for sure no one being brought ashore is armed and they have a well rehearsed method.

It would be an unusual circumstance for a 'rescuee' to be housed and free to 'roam' in around passenger decks but there could be a rare situation where that could happen..... only with very asssured safety being established.

I think I once read of a guest from another cruise line missing the ship in a port. The two ships were sailing the same itinerary and would be together in port the next day. I seem to have a vague memory of the other ship taking that passenger aboard to transport them to the next port. My memory of this story is very fuzzy but that person would be a different category than a group of 8 'fishermen' whose boat was sinking off the coast of wherever. They might be considered a bit higher risk.

None of us know (nor should we) all the extremes the ships go to assuring our safety but they do.

Also, modern cruise ships have 'brigs'..... jail cells.

I believe a Captain must stop and make rescue at sea. They must respond to Coast Guard instruction to proceed to certain latitude/longitude if they are in the region and lend aid and assistance. Sometimes that just means giving food and water to a sea worthy boat whose crew has run out of supplies.

Archived