Strange question regarding Rome Port

Greghouseo

I think this is probably the right forum as opposed to the Rome one, but I may be wrong.

Question is this:-

We are on the Silhouette out of Civitivecchia in September

We are aware of Celebrity policy regarding wine on board.

We are taking the full Celebrity package including flights and transfers.

Sounds like a daft question but where should we buy our wine.

Reluctant to buy at LHR airport as it means carrying it on the plane

Don't know whether we will have time at Fumincino Airport

So, is Civitavecchia like Malaga inasmuch as it has a small shop just inside the terminal selling wine and other products where we can buy a couple of bottles of Italian Chianti.

Unwilling to buy at home and pack in our luggage "just in case".

Would welcome advice from sensible Celebrity clients (if such a thing exists):p

Thank you

I think this is probably the right forum as opposed to the Rome one, but I may be wrong.

So, is Civitavecchia like Malaga inasmuch as it has a small shop just inside the terminal selling wine and other products where we can buy a couple of bottles of Italian Chianti.

Thank you

We travel to our departure ports with the 3 liter "Black Box". Check the Rome Airport site on customs, but usually they allow 3 liters. Celebrity has never confiscated our wine. Good Luck!

Hi Greg,

I do not recall a wine store at the port in Rome. Hopefully you'll have time to grab some at the FCO airport; that might be your best bet if you do not want to fly with the wine.

Thank you

Greg... we asked our driver to stop at a place in the town of Civitavecchia before getting to the port. It was really easy and it seemed the request had been asked before :)

Are you coming straight from the airport to the port and on the ship or, are you arriving the day before? If you need a hotel, I suggest the San Georgio, a few meters from the port entrance and it has a wonderful wine cellar from which you can buy a few bottles.

If going directly to the ship, how are you getting there? Private cab? He can stop at an enoteca or even a grocery store and you can pick up a bottle or two. Civitavecchia is a large town and has lots of places to buy wine.

Pete Coach--How are you?...we really enjoyed our "shared" Cruise out of Cv, the San Giorgio & the pre-cruise get together...hope all's well-- We are sailing on princess around the British Isles this summer--Regards to Chris....

To OP: not much at Rome port--tents & an industrial type terminal bldg.. best advice buy at the airport when you arrive in Rome if you can or try to stop where Coach suggested...

only two bottles of wine are permitted at the start of the cruise but obviously enforcement can vary...you can buy some as a gift to yourself for your stateroom or get a package

hcat & sal

Edited by hcat

Another random question:

On Celebrity are you allowed to bring 2 additional bottles of wine on board at each port or will they hold the wine until the last day of your voyage?

The rules are only upon embarkation... but I have bought a bottle or two along the way in Europe and have never had them taken when returning from port. That said, there are others we've heard that haven't had the same luck.

Are you coming straight from the airport to the port and on the ship or, are you arriving the day before? If you need a hotel, I suggest the San Georgio, a few meters from the port entrance and it has a wonderful wine cellar from which you can buy a few bottles.

If going directly to the ship, how are you getting there? Private cab? He can stop at an enoteca or even a grocery store and you can pick up a bottle or two. Civitavecchia is a large town and has lots of places to buy wine.

Thanks for that, but am on the full Celebrity package flying out from UK on the morning of the cruise.

Thanks for that, but am on the full Celebrity package flying out from UK on the morning of the cruise.

We had the same "problem" on a flycruise.....we opted to leave space in our carryon and buy at Heathrow. Not ideal, but at least we got to take a couple of bottles onboard. :)

We had the same "problem" on a flycruise.....we opted to leave space in our carryon and buy at Heathrow. Not ideal, but at least we got to take a couple of bottles onboard. :)

I think that may be our best option. however as we are flying within the EEC are we allowed to buy "Duty Free"?

I think that may be our best option. however as we are flying within the EEC are we allowed to buy "Duty Free"?

Hi Greghouseo, try this link for info:

http://dutyfreeonarrival.com/en/travelpoint/317

It sounds like they have 'Travel Shops' in Rome for those unable to purchase duty free items i.e. travelling within the EU.

We bought our wines at Heathrow as we were travelling to F Lauderdale to Rome TA on a package and knew we might not get chance to find wine when we got there, as we had Celebrity ship transfers.

We were attending a wine tasting organised through our roll call so I had to make sure I got the wine. It was no trouble carrying it on the plane as we left it until the last minute to buy. They wrapped it well in protective wrap. I'm not sure whether they have 'Travel shops' (as opposed to duty free) in Heathrow, but I bet they do. :)

ETA: Don't pack wine in your suitcase. Friends of ours got called to the naughty room. Didn't get their suitcase back until after dinner.

Edited by u2cruiser

The last time we were transiting to the pier I noticed a shop that said "Duty Free." It was about a block or two from where we dropped off our luggage with the porters. I've never been in there, don't know their hours of operation, but it's worth a shot. Look for it once you get into the port area. It was on the right-hand side as you entered.

Depending upon what time your transfer gets to the port, you could always walk into town or take a short taxi ride to a store in town. That's what I would do.

• 5 years later...

Thank you

First thing on the boat - upgrade to the top shelf package of hooch. Its the best deal. If you just like wine, there might be a wine and beer only one

First thing on the boat - upgrade to the top shelf package of hooch. Its the best deal. If you just like wine, there might be a wine and beer only one

Hello.

If you didn't notice...you just quoted/responded to a 5 year old question...I think those folks have cruised already ! :D

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr