So Confused - Please help!

michmstr

So I've spent many hours in the past few days researching our cruise vacation for next spring - either February or April 2012 (would be during my daughter's Winter or Spring break). And I'm just overwhelmed with information! Here is who we are and what we are looking for:

Mom and dad, (40's), girl 11, boy 3.5 (at time of sailing). Carribean. Would prefer more interesting ports and fewer days at sea. Good kids clubs - want to keep the little guy happy but also entertain the 11 year old and allow her to make friends. I think she would also like a more "exciting" ship with extras like fun pools, slides, climbing walls, etc. We (parents) like good food, spa time, and just relaxing and not worrying about the kids for a while. We would want to book a mini-suite at least for the space (I'm noticing some are sold out already!)

Was originally thinking Disney (Magic) but I've since heard that it is so crazy with kids (especially during spring break time) that you can't even move in the pool, plus it is very expensive. Could get a suite on one of the other lines for the price of a regular room with Disney. I think the little guy would like Disney, but he would probably like anything at this age. Not sure if the 11 year old would care.

Other choices:

Royal Carribbean: the nicer ships are quite expensive or almost sold out for the time we are looking. Oasis and Allure look great, any other good ones?

NCL Epic seems to be talked about a lot. Price is good, what are the drawbacks? Any other NCL ships good for families?

Carnival wasn't even on my radar because I thought of it as the cheap, party ship (did a Carnival cruise at 19 - wow, the memories- but nothing I would want the 11 year old to know about!) Has it changed? How is the food? Carnival Dream looks amazing and we could get a full suite for the price of a room on Disney! I also like their itinerary - only 2 at sea days rather than 3 like some of the others.

I know I'm asking a lot, I just need to narrow this down and get on with it. Any help apreciated.

I love the Voyager class ships...plenty of "bells and whistles", great crews on all of RCI ships, and a great kid's club for both age groups.

If it's been a long time since you've cruised, you may notice some changes/cutbacks....it's not quite as "lavish" as it was even 10 years ago! However, it's still a fabulous vacation, especially for a family.

Both Carnival and RCI will be fine choices for a cruise vacation!

After only reading your first 2 paragraphs and without seeing what you have been considering, I was thinking the NCL Epic may fit your profile. I've not sailed this ship but sounds like you are heading the right direction. Spend some time in the NCL thread and read some Epic review done by families may also help.

Have fun planning.

I feel your pain because I'm having trouble deciding. I can only give you my opinion on Freedom of the Seas because we just cruised on her in February with our two children (ages 8 and 11). My 8 year old didn't really like the kids club but she loves the pool and literally spent all day there with us. Sunscreen ran out after one day! :) My 11 year old LOVED kids club and was hard to get to even eat with us. Freedom is a gorgeous ship and I understand she has had some upgrades since February. There are some pretty good prices so have a look and see what you can find. I highly recommend her. We're planning our cruise at the end of August next year and can't wait.

Take a deep breath and sit down at the computer with a pad of paper. List the things you MUST have and do comparisons for price etc. That's basically what we did. It helps. It's almost like doing a pros and cons list. Best of luck and keep us posted on what you find.

So I've spent many hours in the past few days researching our cruise vacation for next spring - either February or April 2012 (would be during my daughter's Winter or Spring break). And I'm just overwhelmed with information! Here is who we are and what we are looking for:

Mom and dad, (40's), girl 11, boy 3.5 (at time of sailing). Carribean. Would prefer more interesting ports and fewer days at sea. Good kids clubs - want to keep the little guy happy but also entertain the 11 year old and allow her to make friends. I think she would also like a more "exciting" ship with extras like fun pools, slides, climbing walls, etc. We (parents) like good food, spa time, and just relaxing and not worrying about the kids for a while. We would want to book a mini-suite at least for the space (I'm noticing some are sold out already!)

Was originally thinking Disney (Magic) but I've since heard that it is so crazy with kids (especially during spring break time) that you can't even move in the pool, plus it is very expensive. Could get a suite on one of the other lines for the price of a regular room with Disney. I think the little guy would like Disney, but he would probably like anything at this age. Not sure if the 11 year old would care.

Other choices:

Royal Carribbean: the nicer ships are quite expensive or almost sold out for the time we are looking. Oasis and Allure look great, any other good ones?

NCL Epic seems to be talked about a lot. Price is good, what are the drawbacks? Any other NCL ships good for families?

Carnival wasn't even on my radar because I thought of it as the cheap, party ship (did a Carnival cruise at 19 - wow, the memories- but nothing I would want the 11 year old to know about!) Has it changed? How is the food? Carnival Dream looks amazing and we could get a full suite for the price of a room on Disney! I also like their itinerary - only 2 at sea days rather than 3 like some of the others.

I know I'm asking a lot, I just need to narrow this down and get on with it. Any help apreciated.

You are looking at the right lines as far as a family vacation goes. Carnival, Disney, NCL and Royal Caribbean are probably the best for the age group you have.

If you want a ship that offers a lot, without going on the Oasis or Allure, then I would recommend the Freedom of the Seas, the Carnival Dream and the NCL Epic.

If you like port intensive cruises, look into the cruises that leave out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Cruises from Puerto Rico typically have zero or one sea day (some have two).

Do go looking for something that is perfect, 'cause you will never find it. All you can do is find the cruise that offers the most advantages and the least disadvantages.

Other choices:

Allure or the Oasis are your best options. We just came back from our second sailing on the Allure and enjoyed it even more the second time. Hopefully you can find a reasonably priced sailing because you'll have to add that airfare from California. There were so many things to do (on either ships) that you may forego a couple of your ports. (Note: In Nassau, there were 4 other ships docked at the pier...we were approached by passengers from the other ships telling us they'd would've rather been on the Allure.) Happy sailing!:)

We sailed Norwegian Epic in January of this year with a 5 year old and a 12 year old. They both had a great time in the kids club. Plenty for them to do on board (in and out of the kids club). Great waterslides, fun pool, great poolside activities. We enjoyed a few dinners alone when they went to kids club.

We stayed in a suite which allowed access to the courtyard which has a private pool and hot tubs as well as a private restaurant. It was the highlight of our trip.

I have some info in my signature.

The Oasis ships look amazing, but having only sailed on Epic with my kids, I can tell you that it was excellent for families.

Thanks so much for your advice everyone. I especially appreciated the "you won't find something perfect" - I think I was stressing myself out too much! I think we are leaning toward NCL Epic. Daughter took one look at the water slides and that got her vote! I think our little one would like the Nicolodean characters, and we as adults like the variety of dining and "freestyle" aspect. Plus, the price is just way better than Royal Carribbean - why is that? What are you really getting for so much more $?

Thanks again, and I'll keep checking these boards as we make our final decision!

Michelle

Thanks again, and I'll keep checking these boards as we make our final decision!

As long as it is before final payment deadline (and there's no change/admin fee from your TA), your "final" decision doesn't have to be final and it can still be changed as many times as you want if you find something better .... at least that's how I operate :D ... not saying that is good or bad but I like having all the choices out there. To me, the planning, shopping and anticipating part of cruising is as fun as the actual cruising itself.

Enjoy.:)

Thanks so much for your advice everyone. I especially appreciated the "you won't find something perfect" - I think I was stressing myself out too much! I think we are leaning toward NCL Epic. Daughter took one look at the water slides and that got her vote! I think our little one would like the Nicolodean characters, and we as adults like the variety of dining and "freestyle" aspect. Plus, the price is just way better than Royal Carribbean - why is that? What are you really getting for so much more $?

Michelle

We're a big family, and prefer NCL over DCL. We LOVE the freestyle dining, and being able to eat when we want (my kids were between the ages of 4 - 11 when we were on DCL, and I still remember what a PITA it was to make sure we were all dressed and ready at 6 for dinner). On NCL, we ate when we were hungry, and we really enjoyed the specialty restaurants.

Michelle

You can always cruise out of the Gulf home ports..We live in WA state, took our 7 year old son last April 1-6 2010 on the Ecstasy out of Galveston. Didn't have to fly as far, and the smaller ship was actually nice to not feel overwhelmed and in fear of losing him at the pool! He loved the Camp Carnival, which he did maybe 3 times for a few hours each time. We took him on a Mayan Ruin tour in Progresso, which was very informative and we got to climb up the ruins, (Uxmaal), did Chankanaab in Cozumel for the dolphin swim. That was the highlight of his trip! It really wasn't a "party boat" during the day, anyway, and we were usually back in our room by 9-10 tuckered out so can't say that he saw much drunken behavior in the evening. We only did the dress-up MDR one night..the rest of the time we grazed the buffets. We had a balcony room which was definitely nice with the extra room. Good luck with your decisions..we have already booked for next January out of NOLA and our son is SO excited!

My experience is limited to Carnival and Princess but I'll throw in my 2 cents. Princess is likely too expensive for what you're looking for.

Carnival would fit the bill. If you pick a ship with waterslides both your children would be happy. The splashworks are great for the little guy and he may just be tall enough for the slides too. Your daughter would enjoy the slides. Our son at age 4 was able to go on the slides and loved them. The older kids seemed to have fun too. The kids programs are really great on Carnival. My kids spent a few hours in camp each day while DH and relaxed on the adults only Serenity Deck and read our books and had a cup of tea or a beer. The prices on Carnival are quite good. The cabins on Carnival tend to be a bit larger than other lines (going by info I've read on CC), so you may even do okay in a regular sized cabin. We had 5 in our cabin last month and felt it was okay. The dining room food is great and the kids can eat with you in the dining room or at camp. You can choose anytime dining so you can eat when you or the kids are ready. They give the kids activity sheets in the dining room to keep them busy and the food comes fairly quickly. The kids menu is decent or they can choose off the adult menu. The Carnival Legend has a great itinerary w/ exciting ports for the kids.

I feel like I'm recounting what I just posted on anohter thread here, so I will be brief.

I highly recommend Eurodam for families (Holland America).

I have only the BEST things to say about their kid's club (CLUB HAL). It's a gazillion times better than Camp Carnival (okay, that's not saying a lot).

They had activities for the kids, day and night, were open every evenning until (I think) 10PM. Our kids were 3 and 5, so we only used Club HAL.

They also have a teen section THE LOFT which seemed to be well attended.

There are not a lot of kids on Holland America which works out to be a plus. We sailed spring break 2011, and there were about 140 kids in the "young" group, but less than a 1/3 made it to club Hal.

The MDR was excellent, and SERVICE was like I'd never experienced on any other cruise ship and we've been on a few!

My ONLY negative with Eurodam is that it's a smaller ship (75,000 tonnes) and we sailed durign stormy weather this year.

When I start looking into a trip for the following year, I usually start with the area we would like to visit. Then if its a cruise, I go to several web sites that compare the different cruise lines and ships, some sights even grade them on a variety of things. Then once I've narrowed it down I share the info with my family and we discuss what is important to each of us and make a decision. Even the youngest participate.

In my family, I have found that my kids are happier with a middle of the road amount of port stops. If we have to many the kids get tired and cranky, regardless of sleep. To few and they would be bored. I also tried to alternate the types of activities at each port to keep there interest.

Strangely enough what we think they would like is not necessarily the case. Our first family cruise was on the Carnival Glory and we had a window (not balcony) connecting rooms. When we considered bumping up our cabin category for our next cruise they all 3 stressed that they wanted the exact same rooms on the same ship for there next cruise. They loved the window seat with a curtain for privacy. It was great for reading or playing games or just being separate from the adults. With no worries about falling off a balcony (the reason we skipped the balcony room).

Good luck choosing the perfect cruise for your family!

Archived