Century Deck 4 or 5

Ariel35

Has anyone stayed in a stateroom on either deck 4 or 5? Where abouts were you, did you have any issues?

Was noise a problem? I've read that Deck 4 is the worst deck.

Also, did you have any problems with motion sickness, etc?

Thank you!

I would be interested in experiences too, as we are booking for the Christmas /New Year Cruise and Deck 5 is the only deck with accessible cabins, apart from 12, but we cannot afford a Sky Suite!

As our most recent and relevant cruise was on the Diamond Princess I am interested to know it Celebrity have activities, such as Chefs Dining experience, Ship tours, Interest Group meetings?

And for Connections / Cruise Critics do they run or can you arrange separate Luncheons and an areas set aside in the restaurant when they have afternoon teas? Do they have Pub Lunches on sea days, or something similar?

I don't want to 'copy' Princess, but want to know what to expect?

I guess there is an equivilent to the "Princess Platters" etc - what is that called and has anyone got copies posted on the web?

Sorry for so many additional questions!

Has anyone stayed in a stateroom on either deck 4 or 5? Where abouts were you, did you have any issues?

Was noise a problem? I've read that Deck 4 is the worst deck.

Also, did you have any problems with motion sickness, etc?

Thank you!

We were on the Century in room 4117 (towards the back of the ship) in March. Other than being right underneath the galley, noise was not an issue. Post meal times were a little noisy though...dishwashers running, carts moving across floor etc. It didn't keep us or the kids awake though. We have kids, and the Fun Factory was SO close, so that was great. We did have one night of rough seas and that was the only time we felt the ship rocking. But no one felt sick enough to have to take motion sickness medicine. Also our room location was great because we were closer to the elevator/stairs and the buffet was straight up 7 flights and the main dining room was only one flight up.

We just got off the ship on Sunday, having stayed in 5018. This is just below the Celebrity Theater. We had no noise at all, except for one 5 minute period where someone was obviously pouring ice into a bucket that was sitting on the ground. This happened once and it was not at all bothersome.

Personally, I love the 5th deck area where the accessible rooms are located. It's always very sedate in the hallways. There are also offices in this area and there is some crew facilities access at the very front of the ship. Passers-by tend to be on their best behavior (no kids running in the halls when staff is so ever-present). I always request this deck when making my reservations.

Since the Century is a prop driven ship, you may notice a lot more vibration in cabins near the aft of the ship on the lower decks. On deck 5, the only staterooms are from mid-ship to the bow as the Grand Restaurant and galley take up the rear half on deck 5. Since deck 6 is not staterooms, you may wind up under the theater, the Martini Bar, or Michaels piano bar which are all open late.

We've done a lot of cruises on Century. I agree with the poster who likes deck 5, especially the section between the centrum and the forward elevators. The hallways are not very long, but they are extra wide and you have a spacious feeling outside your cabin. You don't get that closed in tunnel effect that most hallways have. I liked being convenient to both midship and forward elevators as well as the Guest Relations area. The noise was minimal, primarily some vibrating when pulling into port. We also had an OV on deck 4 once. It was not particularly noisy either. It was a little more forward and I think we got some anchor noise a time or two.

Be very careful choosing a cabin on Deck 4 -- especially port side mid-ships. Look at the deck plans and avoid anything directly under the galley, unless you like to be awakened at around 4:30 AM by considerable noise (rolling metal carts, etc.) above your heads, when breakfast is being prepared. We booked a guaranty OV (first and only time with a guaranty on X), and hoped that we would be assigned a "winner"! NOT. We were "lucky" in that we were ultimately able to change cabins on the 4th day -- of a 14 day transatlantic sailing. To have remained in cabin 4107 for the entire cruise would have been pretty unbearable for us.

I ended up on lowest cabin of Connie last year on a friends booking. It took me 3 nites before I could really sleep due to engine noise and vibration. I would go several decks up. For me it was awful. Just got off Century 3 weeks. Did deck 12, a wonderful, small, private space with a walkout sun deck above the pool and crowds.

I got off Century last Sunday, and was in cabin 4099. I had no issues with it, as it was near the centre of passenger accommodations on that deck and there was not much movement in rough seas. I did feel vibrations in the mornings when the ship edged to the docks.

What I liked about 4099 is that it is located midway between the centre and aft elevators, so there was not that much passenger activity in my area. Walking to the elevator lobbies was a good way for me to get some exercise. :D

Donald.

Archived