Help!

Pennysue

I am supposed to be packing for our holiday next week. I have come to a standstill. We are first going to Canada, touring over the rockies including the rocky mountaineer train. We leave 4th June then on 11th June cruise Alaska on the Zuiderdam. I need to pack one case for each place. Jeans for Canada? Capris and shorts for Canada? Jeans, thin pants for Alaska? Formal or very formal on ship? Somebody help me please.

Penny.

I wouldn't take jeans--they're heavy and bulky in the suitcase.

I'd take thin pants and a pair of silk long underwear for days when you're near/on a glacier. I also like the convertible pants that become shorts when you zip off the lower legs. I found thin gloves and an earband useful in Alaska, and they hardly take up any room. I brought short sleeve tops and a couple of microfleece long sleeve shirts for layering.

I often use http://www.weather.com to find out average temps so I can decide what to pack.

I am supposed to be packing for our holiday next week. I have come to a standstill. We are first going to Canada, touring over the rockies including the rocky mountaineer train. We leave 4th June then on 11th June cruise Alaska on the Zuiderdam. I need to pack one case for each place. Jeans for Canada? Capris and shorts for Canada? Jeans, thin pants for Alaska? Formal or very formal on ship? Somebody help me please.

Penny.

We live in the Cdn Rockies. The clothing you are taking for Alaska will be suitable for the Rockies, too. Can warm up here during the day, with temps usually falling dramatically at night in Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper. If you are bringing jeans, you can certainly wear them in the Rockies. Currently it is DARN cold, but that could change by the time you arrive here. I'd plan on 2 prs of long pants and 2 prs of shorts that can be hand-washed if needed for the Rockies portion. A fleecy or two. As mentioned, think LAYERS for your entire trip.

Make sure you purchase bug spray somewhere or put it on your list of things to get as soon as you hit the first overnight in the mountains -- the mosquitoes are just waiting for a bit of warmth to come out and start biting.

As for how "formal" on the ship, that varies by line for evenings. For days, daytime casual wear in layers is the standard dress on all lines. What ship are you on?

Thank you so much for your useful reply Cow Princess. I did think a couple of jeans would come in handy. We are doing exactly the places you mentioned, Banff etc. Would jeans be ok in restaurants in the evening? I bought bug spray today!

We have cruised 9 or 10 times before, but never in Alaska and never on Holland and America. We usually go to the hot caribbean! I am finding this holiday so difficult to pack for! Looking forward to it though.

Penny.

Jeans will be fine in most restaurants in Banff, LL, Jasper, etc but the Fairmont hotels have some sort of dress code (I think) for their dining rooms in the evening. If you're not eating at a Fairmont in the Rockies, I honestly cannot think of any place that would turn you away. As for jeans, they are serviceable but as mentioned, heavy. In Alaska, if you are planning on being outdoors a lot, jeans CAN get wet and can take a loooooong time to dry.

As for how formal, Holland America is like every other mid-market cruise line during the day (jeans or pants, fleecys, t-shirts, sweaters etc), and has a couple of "formal evenings" in the Main Dining Room and in the Pinnacle Grill on every 7 day cruise. "Formal" can be a dark skirt and dressy top, a little black dress blinged up, or you can go all out and wear a gown :) For men, formal evening means a tuxedo or suit and tie. If you don't want to "do" the 2 formal nights, you can eat in the Lido buffet (menu very similar to the main dining room dinner menu) in regular daytime clothing or order room service. You won't go hungry :)

I insist that DH bring a suit or tux, but we don't have to schlep halfway around the world with our luggage, and then travel by train for 1000s of kilometers. For 7 days (2 formal nights) I usually take a cocktail suit, wearing it as a suit one night, and as a skirt with a different top the other. No one really notices if you repeat, though.

I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy all the beauty in Canada and Alaska!

Hi Cowgirl, You have helped a lot, DH always wears a tux and I wear long gowns. We have decided we will travel in jeans so we have a pair, then bring long pants which will do the Rockies and Alaska. We are so looking forward to the holiday, have got binoculars at the ready. You are so lucky living in such a beautiful area.

Thank you once again.

Penny.

Pennysue, this sounds like a wonderful holiday! You will see our beautiful country and fall in love. :) Alaska is amazing too. I know you'll have a great time.

I understand packing can be a nightmare, especially coming from overseas and wondering what to pack. I am currently going through that in reverse; we will be visiting our son in England before heading to Barcelona for a 12 night Med. cruise. We'll see what my suitcases look like the day before we leave!

I agree with jeans; they will not be too cumbersome on this trip. Bring a few pairs and you can wear one of them on the plane so as not to be too heavy. I do not pack jeans for the Caribbean but I definitely wore them in Alaska. In Alaska, it's about "layering" - clothing that can be put on or pulled off at a moment's notice, given the changing weather. Bring a toque (hat) and gloves; you may need them. If you don't, no harm done.

I bought bug spray today!

You're too adorable. :p Have a great vacation! :)

Use the ship's laundry. They do a good job of it. Usually there will be a by-the-bag special. Do not send out anything delicate. We use it for jeans, tshirts and underwear.

Most every cruise we send laundry out and it returns clean and folded.

I always bring jeans to Alaska. Maybe I just underpack:D because

even with jeans my luggage had never reaches 50 lbs! Alaska is one

of most favorite itineraries. The scenery is simply majestic:)

PennySue, I hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

You're gonna need that bug spray if you go anywhere near water in Alaska! We did a rafting trip and boy were we glad we knew about the mosquitoes beforehand.:D Also, be sure to take a warm jacket as it gets really cold on deck when you're viewing the glaciers. I wore a warm jacket, hat, gloves, and a scarf. I definitely advise taking two prs. of jeans and some long silk underwear, both top and bottom. I found that the Alaskan cruise is probably one of the most casual of all the cruises I've ever taken. Even formal night there were lots of people with only their Sunday best on. That was fine with me, but I wore a long skirt and very dressy top. I hope you have a really wonderful trip and cruise. Oh, just another tip, do bring a pr. of binoculars in your carryon, because you will regret it if you don't. We saw lots of whales off the side of the ship and it helps when viewing all the beautiful scenery you'll see as you cruise through Alaska. A lightweight, foldup, nylon rain parka will serve you well also. We traveled in late July and it was very cold in all our ports. Just say'n!:D Rained cats and dogs in one of the ports, can't think of which one as its been awhile!.

Archived