Trip Report - Caribbean Princess Canada/New England May 17-26 (Long)

Roses2

Yes the only usable electric outlet is on the desk by the telephone. Regardless of our cabin choice, mini or full, we always bring a multi-plug extension plus a pig tail for charging our computer, Kindles, and cameras. Yes, I always bring one too. We have phones, cameras, computers, and Kindles. Was just hoping for another one, if possible.

No matter how many clothes/other stuff you bring, you will not fill all the drawers and shelves. There is more than twice the space for hanging clothes in a WS than in a mini. The cupboard contains the safe as well as shelves and drawers below. Doubt if we'll need all the drawers (I counted 24 of them!), but we usually need alot of hanging space.

The bathroom also has two large drawers that help reduce counter clutter there. Yes, we will really enjoy this. I hate having all my "stuff" sitting all over the counter. And I like that we each have our own sink, shelves, and drawer!

The two windows are large and provide unobstructed viewing. OK, I can't see how it's "unobstructed" when there are clearly several metal bars in front of each window. I can see them in the pictures. Looks annoying to me. Even the OV cabins don't have bars in front of them. Not a deal-breaker, but not good if I want to take pictures from the windows. :(

The only thing missing is the balcony. True, but we traded that for the suite perks. Hope we'll be glad. :)

Nice to have your help since these rooms are so new. I'll take alot of pictures to post after I get back.

We have booked WS 3 times, twice on the Golden and once on the Caribbean. We have taken many photos out of the windows and have never noticed any bars that obstructed our view out of either window.

In discussions with others who have been in WS we have never heard of any bars obstructing the view. If there are bars, they are news to us.

Attached are two photos shot out of the WS window on departure from New York -- no bars, no obstruction.

P&J

1897830635_01_Lady_Liberty_OnDeparture.jpg.92a34db078a3888d7a7eebb53a6eff98.jpg

03_NYC_Rainy.jpg.78db0e32904d55666a809ea88a02609e.jpg

We have booked WS 3 times, twice on the Golden and once on the Caribbean. We have taken many photos out of the windows and have never noticed any bars that obstructed our view out of either window.

In discussions with others who have been in WS we have never heard of any bars obstructing the view. If there are bars, they are news to us.

Attached are two photos shot out of the WS window on departure from New York -- no bars, no obstruction.

P&J

We were in F305 and no bars in front of window, not sure how you would have any bars. Regarding outlets, there is one where the DVD player plugs in under the TV. I used this one for my laptop with no problems.

The two windows are large and provide unobstructed viewing. OK, I can't see how it's "unobstructed" when there are clearly several metal bars in front of each window. I can see them in the pictures. Looks annoying to me. Even the OV cabins don't have bars in front of them. Not a deal-breaker, but not good if I want to take pictures from the windows

I went back and looked at the pictures we took and yes there are some metal strips, which is what I think you are calling bars, so it is not one big picture window. I never notice while on the ship, depending on how far back you are for taking a picture I don't think they would be a problem. I think it is just a small metal strip running from top to bottem.

We are sorry we missed your question about Ollie's Trolley and Lulu the Lobster Boat.

The two tours are very different and we enjoyed each of them. The scenery in very nice on the trolley tour. Captain John is just delightful on Lulu.

Depending on your time in port (remember you tender in), we believe you could do both tours while in Bar Harbor, if you took the early Ollies Trolley in the mortning and the Afternoon Lulu trip (the Lulu viewing is better at low tide and the lady with whom you book can recommend the low tide trip -- morning or afternoon).

P&J

I enjoyed your review very much. We are taking the 7 day cruise in a couple of months, so there was a lot of helpful info. Thank you!

I am interested in taking the trolley bus. Where do you buy the tickets, and where is the stop closest to the port? Can you see the mansions from the bus? I would like to see them from the outside, but I don't think I actually want to go in to them.

Also, in Halifax, do you remember the name of the supermarket, or the name of the street that it was on? I would like to go there myself, and am wondering how I might be able to find it. Thanks for any other info you can give me.

To access the trolley bus as well as the city buses, from the pier walk to the Newport Visitor's Center. It is on the main street about two blocks from the pier -- just turn left and you can't miss it. They will direct you to the bus stop in their parking lot.

The $6.00 ticket gives you access to the trolley and the other city buses all day (or $2.00 a ride).

The bus drives through town and out to the area of the mansions. You can not really get a very good view of them from the bus. You could use the bus to get to the cliff walk.

In Halifax, just stop at the information desk in the terminal and the staff there can give you directions to the supermarket. It is about a 4 block walk and is opposite the train/bus station.

P&J

Not trying to make a big deal of this, but I tried unsuccessfully to attach the pictures by NukeTim that show these vertical metal-looking bars with a wooden horizontal rail above them clearly in the window shots. I'll just have to give the link and anyone can check the pictures. Someone else asked about them on a different thread, but nobody answered them. And my friend who I'm traveling with asked about them as soon as I emailed the pictures to her. Here's the link to see the pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/user/NukeTim

Not trying to make a big deal of this, but I tried unsuccessfully to attach the pictures by NukeTim that show these vertical metal-looking bars with a wooden horizontal rail above them clearly in the window shots. I'll just have to give the link and anyone can check the pictures. Someone else asked about them on a different thread, but nobody answered them. And my friend who I'm traveling with asked about them as soon as I emailed the pictures to her. Here's the link to see the pictures:

There is one vertical metal bracket per window (two windows in the room), I would guess less than an inch wide. The horizontal "rail" you refer to I believe is the window shade. You can raise this all the way up or down. the shade will not affect any view out the window. Hope this helps ease your concern.

An enjoyable read--thanks! I especially was eager to know the charter bus program from Washington DC to the Red Hook pier was still in place. I'll have to check to make sure it's still available for the last cruise of the season.

Roses2,

Thanks so much for those two detailed diaries of your New England Tours. We have booked the Emerald Princess for next year in October and I will certainly use your diaries as a reference.

As you have now done two similar cruises, is there anything that you consider to be a "must see" in any of the ports.

Our cruise is very port intensive, there is only one sea day and that is between Quebec and Charlottetown, were you tired from being out and about every day?

Jennie

For Aussie Gal

Yes, we do believe there are two "Must Sees" on this itinerary (and we recognize you are coming from a long distance to make this cruise).

-- Peggy's Cove which you can see out of Halifax. It has a natural scenic beauty that is unmatched -- especially if you arrive with a light mist over the area. You have an opportunity for some outstanding photos here.

-- The Freedom Trail in Boston with special attention to a tour of the USS Constitution conducted by an active duty US Navy tour guide. "Old Ironsides" is the oldest active naval ship in the world and touring it gives you a glimpse life of any sailor of long ago.

There are plenty of choices at the other ports that depend heavily on your personal likes. We certainly enjoyed both our tours of the historical religious sites and the famous msnions in Newport.

We hope you have a superb Canada/New England cruise.

P&J

Roses2,

Thanks for that. We have been to Boston where we stayed a few days back in 2005 so we walked the Freedom Trail and have visited the US "Constitution" then. I am wondering what we can do in Boston as we did explore it quite extensively when we were there. It is a lovely city and we had great weather. It was July and it was sunny and warm.

Jennie

Roses2,

By the way, we love your city. We were in Washington in May for a week, we had perfect weather and we walked and walked. We saw so much in that time. We stayed in the Embassy area near Dupont Circle and enjoyed the many restaurants in that part of DC.

Jennie

May is a wonderful time to enjoy Washington. However, do NOT plan a trip here in July or August.

We get hit with the HHH --- High Heat and High Humidity it is very tropical weather. Having lived in Africa for 13 years, we will take Lagos over Washington in the HHH months.

Have a great trip to Canada and new England.

P&J

Roses2: Thank you so much for both reviews! We are doing this itinerary for the first time in September, and your information is very timely as we plan what we will do.

From reading your report on Newport, it would seem that it is very easy to do the Mansions on your own? We'd like to visit the Breakers and one other home, as well as a "short" jaunt along the cliff walk. I really hope to not have to do this on a ship excursion, in order to come and go as we please. Am I correct in reading that this is easily done on your own?

Again - thank you! :)

Oh - one other question - I think we are going to upgrade to a window suite for this sailing. Is there any one of them that you recommend as the "best" location of these rooms (or more importantly is there one we should avoid)?

Oh - one other question - I think we are going to upgrade to a window suite for this sailing. Is there any one of them that you recommend as the "best" location of these rooms (or more importantly is there one we should avoid)?

We also upgraded - from a minisuite to a window suite and saved $200/pp, as well as now getting all the suite perks!!

F301 is smaller than all the others, but not by much; F315 is handicapped accessible and has only a handicapped shower in the bathroom. So, the best rooms are 303, 305, 307, 309, and 311. All the rooms are located in a row, mid-ship on the starboard side. They have their own private hallway, which is said to be very quiet. I'll post my thoughts about these rooms after we return from our cruise in a few weeks.

Hi, Thanks for your review. We are doing this itinerary in a couple of weeks and I have questions about Charlottetown. I noticed you took the pink hoho bus. We are thinking of doing that. Where did you pick it up in relation to the ship? Is that the only hoho in Charlottetown? Or do they have the Harbor Hippo? Does the pink bus go out to the Cow's Creamery? Thanks for your help.

High C's wrote & asked: ......it would seem that it is very easy to do the (Newport) Mansions on your own? We'd like to visit the Breakers and one other home, as well as a "short" jaunt along the cliff walk. ..snip... Am I correct in reading that this is easily done on your own?....

Yes, you can see the mansions and do Cliff Walk on your own. You could either take a RIPTA bus or taxi to the Breakers, other mansion and CW. A route #67 (both outbound & inbound) goes to the Breakers and includes all the mansions located on Bellevue Ave. After visiting the mansion(s), you can enter CW from any of the entry points.

You can board the bus at the Newport Transportation Center which is located one block north of the tender dock.

helpful links:

RIPTA schedules: http://www.ripta.com/schedules/view.php

Cliff Walk: http://www.cliffwalk.com/

Cliff Walk: http://www.cliffwalk.com/sect1.htm

If you have any other questions about Newport or New England, you can ask them at the Ports of Call board, New England forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

SBtS

Thank you SBtS!! Excellent info. I presume the mansions are fairly close together? We want to start at the Breakers, then do one other (yet to be decided), as I understand trying to do more than 2 in the time we are given would be too rushed. We will wander up/down the Cliff Walk, just to get some photos, and then head back.

Unless I am missing something, there is really no reason to take a formal "tour" here....

There is one vertical metal bracket per window (two windows in the room), I would guess less than an inch wide. The horizontal "rail" you refer to I believe is the window shade. You can raise this all the way up or down. the shade will not affect any view out the window. Hope this helps ease your concern.

We were also in the WS's along with recia and roses2 on this cruise. Your "horizontal wooden rail" is definitely the window shade which, as recia states, can be drawn all the way up and does not block the window. The vertical bars did not distract from the views at all, IMHO. Even if they did, taking into account the great value one receives from a WS, not to mention all the suite perks, I can live quite happily with those rails. But of course, everyone is different and YMMV. :)

Thank you SBtS!! Excellent info. I presume the mansions are fairly close together? We want to start at the Breakers' date=' then do one other (yet to be decided), as I understand trying to do more than 2 in the time we are given would be too rushed. We will wander up/down the Cliff Walk, just to get some photos, and then head back. [/font']

Unless I am missing something, there is really no reason to take a formal "tour" here....

No, you do not need to take a formal tour of the mansions. In fact, it may be better not to, as you can then see the mansions at your own pace (with the audio tours that are included in the entrance price) without worrying about getting back to the tour bus in time.

We took a taxi to Rosecliff, the first mansion that we visited. The taxi fare was about $8, including tip. As roses2 and others have mentioned, you can also take the trolley or the #67 bus, which stop at all the mansions ($2 per trip or $6 all day pass).

The walk from Rosecliff to The Breakers was doable, and you pass other great houses along the way. The Cliff Walk is only accessible in a few places, so you should plan your attack. We entered the Cliff Walk at the south side of The Breakers (Ruggles Ave.) and walked along the cliff behind the mansion, exiting again on the north side (Shepard Ave.) and then walking up and around to the front of The Breakers for our tour there. You can do all this in reverse if you wish to start at The Breakers.

The Preservation Society of Newport County has an excellent, informative website and you can order their Mansions brochure, which has descriptions of all of the mansions and a very useful map. I recommend it: http://www.newportmansions.org/page11841.cfm

The distance from the Breakers (which is not on Bellevue Ave) to Doris Duke’s Mansion at Rough Point (which is on Bellevue Ave) is approximately 1.3 miles. In between those 2 points are these mansions, from north to south: Rosecliff, Astors’ Beechwood, Marble House, Belcourt Castle. The mansions listed in the previous sentence are all located on Bellevue Ave. Cliff Walk is behind all mansions listed except for Belcourt Castle which is on the west side of Bellevue Ave.

Yes, this is a DIY tour. The only advantage a cruise ship tour has, except for riding in those nice tour buses, is that at the mansion a group tour, such as a group from a cruise ship, will be given priority for entrance over a walkup visitor. Your advantage is that you don't have to wait for the excursion bus to fill and the excursion bus may include other stops along the way to the mansions. So try to get on an early tender

Please note than you can NOT enter CW from any mansion grounds. You must exit the grounds and take a side street to CW. So chose the mansions you visited closely with an eye to where there is a CW entry point.

SBtS

Archived