Vigo

CHIPMUNKS

We have just got back from Ventura , Vigo was our first port of call , unfortunately it was a sunday so although you can walk off the ship and wander around nerarby ,most of everything was shut , there are a few cafes and small shops right next to the port which were open so it was still nice to get off and walk around .

It is one of my least favourite ports, so usually just have a walk round the adjacent shopping centre then back on the ship and go to the spa for a pedicure and manicure, hubby reads on deck if weather is OK.

We've been to Vigo a few times now and there's really not much to see / do. We've walked round a few times although it's fairly hilly. We once took an excursion to Pontevedra which was a pretty town and it was a nice drive up the coast. Another time we got a taxi to the bus station then took a local bus to Baiona, which has a good beach and we sat and watched the world go by from a cafe. The trip on the local bus was really interesting.

This year we're hoping to take a ferry to one of the islands which are meant to be lovely. The ship will dock close to the centre in Vigo and so certainly the town is very accessible and sure you'll be fine....if you don't have your expectation too high.

There is nothing wrong with Vigo. On the other hand, there is nothing special about it either. It has the usual shops you will find in any Spanish town, but does not really have any tourist attractions as such. It is basically a fishing port which cruise lines visit because of its proximaty to Santiago de Compostella. Santiago, supposed burial site of St James the Apostle, is one of the most beautifull cities in Europe and well worth a visit.

We like Vigo because it does not pander to tourists. The drops are real. It is very easy for me on my scooter even though it is on a hill. There are ways around this problem.

There are places to stroll, in parks and by the marina. If you like fish there are some very good restaurants near the ship.

Gan canny

Dai.

You can walk though the Old Town.. which is easy to find from the ship its the turning acorss the road where the street traders are walk past them up the hill into the old town.. lovely old shops etc .. then you can walk along the main road up to Corte Engleies ( john lewis style shop) sometimes they run a shuttle bus back to the ship from there.

The town park is a nother lovely place to wander and stop and sit and stare along with the locals. Theres a C&A there as well.

You can walk though the Old Town.. which is easy to find from the ship its the turning acorss the road where the street traders are walk past them up the hill into the old town.. lovely old shops etc .. then you can walk along the main road up to Corte Engleies ( john lewis style shop) sometimes they run a shuttle bus back to the ship from there.

The town park is a nother lovely place to wander and stop and sit and stare along with the locals. Theres a C&A there as well.

I think you have missed your career writing for travel brochures ;). We found Vigo particularly bland and uninteresting. Good for stretching the legs only and to be honest I would prefer the ship to be full steam ahead onto far more interesting ports than wasting a day in Vigo.

We also just back from Ventura. As nothing was open We did the walk up the hill for the view, then jumped on a bus C15 to Playa de Samil.( only one that runs on a sunday) from the ship walk across 1st main road up the hill to the next main road and bus stop is on the left. Its only 10mins away at the most 1,17euro each way. We had a lovely 3 hours at the beach as the weather was wonderful. There was also a small market selling tshirts, belts and other trinkets, The bus runs every 30 mins. We did ask if we could get a taxi and was told it was about 10 euros each way. (just in case we couldnt get the bus back) Didnt have a problem, bus driver even told us where to get off, but you cant miss it as its a lovely big stretch of white sand!

Vigo boring ?????

Just got back from Ventura, we found a red light district, walked to the very top with great views. Then found the Modern art Centre which had the most amazing exhibition on in the ground floor. A must if you have kids. The white rooms are filled with blue balloons about 3ft high and you are allowed to walk through. Great fun. I enjoyed Vigo even on a Sunday. Much much more than just stretching your legs.

As you can see there are several negaitive comments about Vigo especially if you are there on a Sunday. I did the excursion to Santiago de Compostella and found that to be interesting. Not sure what I would do if I visited again.

We also just back from Ventura. As nothing was open We did the walk up the hill for the view, then jumped on a bus C15 to Playa de Samil.( only one that runs on a sunday) from the ship walk across 1st main road up the hill to the next main road and bus stop is on the left. Its only 10mins away at the most 1,17euro each way. We had a lovely 3 hours at the beach as the weather was wonderful. There was also a small market selling tshirts, belts and other trinkets, The bus runs every 30 mins. We did ask if we could get a taxi and was told it was about 10 euros each way. (just in case we couldnt get the bus back) Didnt have a problem, bus driver even told us where to get off, but you cant miss it as its a lovely big stretch of white sand!

Thanks for that. Thats really useful for those of us who have not been impressed with Vigo's hidden (invisible) beauty. A Med Cruise doesnt usually offer much in the way of beeches to on a nice day this sounds like a good trip to take.

Archived