Explosion at docks in gibraltar

The video was only 2:26 long. I have never seen a ship depart that fast.

There is also a longer video that is now at the bottom of the news article on Cruise Critic.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4503

I agree, the ship got out of there very quickly. It isn't like they can say, lets go and just pull away. They had to pull the gangway and all the lines very quickly and then get out of there. It will be interesting to see if anyone posts a video from on board the ship. They were scheduled to leave port very soon after the explosion so I bet there were some people who had there cameras ready to record sailaway.

There is also a longer video that is now at the bottom of the news article on Cruise Critic.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4503

I agree, the ship got out of there very quickly. It isn't like they can say, lets go and just pull away. They had to pull the gangway and all the lines very quickly and then get out of there. It will be interesting to see if anyone posts a video from on board the ship. They were scheduled to leave port very soon after the explosion so I bet there were some people who had there cameras ready to record sailaway.

If you look at that video from CC....I enlarged it full screen on my monitor...and it looks like there are scorch marks on the ship right under the overhang of Windjammer where it almost meets to the balconies starboard side deck 9-10.

I wonder if the Captain will get dinged for leaving port without a pilot. Sometimes you've just got to forget about the rules and do what makes sense.

Roy

Anyone who tries to fault the captain for getting the ship out of there as fast as possible should have his head examined. It was parked next to a powder keg that could have exploded at any second. But then, if the system over there is anything like our American legal system I suppose anything goes.

Anyone who tries to fault the captain for getting the ship out of there as fast as possible should have his head examined. It was parked next to a powder keg that could have exploded at any second. But then, if the system over there is anything like our American legal system I suppose anything goes.

Captain Remo got the ship out of there, in 4 minutes time. His bridge team did a superb job and everyone on board, crew and passengers, should thank him for getting them away from the dock and to safety, in such quick manner!!!! There were only minor injuries to few guests.

The explosion was only 20 yards away from the ship!!!!!!!

Captain Remo, thank you for your quick thinking: that is a proof of a great Captain!!!!!

The ship is now on her way to Cannes!

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if the Captain will get dinged for leaving port without a pilot. Sometimes you've just got to forget about the rules and do what makes sense.

Roy

The pilot was onboard, which worked in the Capts favour ! He stated that to me when I was on the bridge visiting him a few days later

Archived