Explosion at docks in gibraltar

We were moored next to those tanks last May(2010) on the Queen Victoria .... the P and O Azura was on the other side! where the Indy is pictured ... :eek: anyone who has been to Gib will have been overwhelmed by the smell from those Fuel tanks, time to moor cruise ships somewhere else away from the danger posed by them.

Thanks, Laura, for making a sticky.

Since people sometimes ignore stickies, I thought I'd make a thread about

the current happenings regarding the port of Gibraltar and the Independence

of the Seas.

Thank GOD it wasn't more serious!!

Check out the latest Royal Caribbean News from Cruise Critic:

Oil Tank Explodes in Gibraltar Near Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

We were in Gibraltar on Ventura a few weeks back on the same dock. From our balcony the fuel tanks were right outside. There was some construction work going on next to them ( if you look behind the yellow van you will see scaffolding) and we commented that there was no health and safety as the floor was covered in oil from the tanks and builders were walking around with cigarettes in their mouths as though there was no risk at all. One even through his ciggy on the floor This has to be due to poor health and safety regimes.

hello,

my mum is currently on the IOS and i got a text from her this afternoon, she said the ship made a quick departure from the port area after it happened and shes having a great cruise.

Steven

I know. It's amazing that things get so misconstrued. I read one report on FaceBook that said it was the Liberty of the Seas. :rolleyes: Amazing & SAD that people report unconfirmed details as FACT!!

They just said on the GBC site that at 5am local time, they will be trying to smother the fire with a large amount of foam. They have some foam there now but are awaiting another ship with foam. There will be another update at 4am local time, which is in a few minutes.

They also said that the Princess ship that is due in port has been offered an anchorage to tender passengers but that they are still awaiting an acceptance from the captain.

Archived