Cape Liberty - BEWARE OF DRYDOCK

jnap1210

I recently returned from a 9 day cruise and found my vehicle covered in small specs of paint. Originally I thought it was pollen, but it is paint. The parking area is located next to a Dry Dock, so when ships are in for repair, paint will find its way onto your vehicle. I am not looking for compensation from them as I know it is not their fault.

People need to be aware of this as no where on the RCCL site, nor when you park your vehicle - $171 for 9 days - does anyone tell you this may happen.

...no where on the RCCL site, nor when you park your vehicle - $171 for 9 days - does anyone tell you this may happen.

So sorry to hear this but yes, as mema said it's been discussed here for years (yes, we see you are new to the boards). And of course it's not going to be mentioned - the port wants your revenue. :cool:

I recently returned from a 9 day cruise and found my vehicle covered in small specs of paint. Originally I thought it was pollen, but it is paint. The parking area is located next to a Dry Dock, so when ships are in for repair, paint will find its way onto your vehicle. I am not looking for compensation from them as I know it is not their fault.

People need to be aware of this as no where on the RCCL site, nor when you park your vehicle - $171 for 9 days - does anyone tell you this may happen.

Yes, there have been a few posts of this happening recently. Problem seems to come and go, but looks as though it is CURRENTLY happening.

We leave on a 9 night next week, and I am very concerned. I think I am going to purchase a car cover to use.

Thanks for the heads up.

Also leaving next week and purchased a clear plastic car cover from Amazon .com for ten bucks because of past problems at the port. Used it last Oct. and it worked well. Its suppose to be a throw away but it surived for another trip.

wow, this is still going on? They claimed to have done something to fix it awhile back but the problem continued. They then said they would reexamine and fix the problem again but obviously they haven't. How is the dry dock making so much money? I can't understand how they can just eat all the repair costs from the cars damaged every week.

As noted the company that does the painting will compensate you. Unfortunatly this has been happening on and off for years.

I picked up a car cover today. Not a top of the line because we'll only use it this once. (until we sail EOS again)

Even if they will pay, we are driving the LEXUS (Wife's car) and don't want the hassle.

We just got back yesterday from the 9 day cruise which left May 26. No paint issues for us. I was concerned, but given that the co. is willing to pay for the car to be fixed, I figured we'd risk it.

wow, this is still going on? They claimed to have done something to fix it awhile back but the problem continued. They then said they would reexamine and fix the problem again but obviously they haven't. How is the dry dock making so much money? I can't understand how they can just eat all the repair costs from the cars damaged every week.

The reason the ship repair facility can eat the costs is because they probably make hundreds of thousands of dollars on the repair contracts for ships. From what I have heard the costs to repair the cars is about $300-$500 and not everyone files a claim against them for one reason or another. For anyone cruising out of Port Liberty if you just do a little research you will find out about the dry dock and ship repair facility and do your own risk analysis about leaving your car there uncovered. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a 9 night cruise today. Parked at the port. I did not cover the car, although I did notice quite a few people did.

I noticed right away there was a coating on the car. I ran my hand across the hood, and it was a coating of black residue, not paint, and came right off making my hand black.

I assume there was some sand blasting going on that left the cars with this black coating. I did notice a large barge in the dry dock right beyond the 9-11 memorial.

It could just as easily been paint.

Got back from the 9 day a few days ago. Nothing wrong with my truck. I had washed and waxed it before I left just to try and protect the paint in the event something went on. Was parked in the middle of the third row facing the Explorer. No issues with paint. Got some nice seagull poop on the back. About it. Did notice a few cars with the cheapy car covers when I left. Didn't see them still on the cars when I got back!

Did notice a few cars with the cheapy car covers when I left. Didn't see them still on the cars when I got back!

They probably found their way onto cars of the people arriving later LOL

Archived