Insurance coverage for Canadians with pre-existing

canadianbear

I have spoken with two companies: CSA and tripinsurancestore

(have checked out others but these are the best two for our family that I have found)

Both cover Canadians and pre-existing medical which is what we need. I'm just confused because one is about $400 cheaper than the other but "seem" to cover the same things including pre-existing, medical, cancellation, trip interuption, baggage.

Has anyone any opinions on either company that you have actually had to go through for a claim? Of course we are hoping we won't have to cancel but in the slight chance we do I want to make sure there is a hassle free claim. This is the first time that I have had to look for an insurance company for a pre-existing illness so is new to me.

Our trip will including flying from Canada to U.S., hotel stay, cruise on HAL, flight home-total of 20 days for 3 people.

Thank you.

I have spoken with two companies: CSA and tripinsurancestore

(have checked out others but these are the best two for our family that I have found)

Both cover Canadians and pre-existing medical which is what we need. I'm just confused because one is about $400 cheaper than the other but "seem" to cover the same things including pre-existing, medical, cancellation, trip interuption, baggage.

Has anyone any opinions on either company that you have actually had to go through for a claim? Of course we are hoping we won't have to cancel but in the slight chance we do I want to make sure there is a hassle free claim. This is the first time that I have had to look for an insurance company for a pre-existing illness so is new to me.

Our trip will including flying from Canada to U.S., hotel stay, cruise on HAL, flight home-total of 20 days for 3 people.

Thank you.

CSA? do you mean CAA?

have you checked them out? The only thing I will say is to be very careful if the companies are American. You really need to read the fine print. there are exclusions for various states - none for Canada and when I called - didn't apply:eek: ie - we wouldn't have been covered:eek:

Have you checked out RBC Insurance through a TA? They are Canadian and we sell it at our agency (which needs to remain nameless I guess). :rolleyes:

I don't think they cover pre existing conditions, do they?

I am also confused. When you say CSA, that is the name of an insurance company. Tripinsurancestore sells several different company's insurance. I use them all the time. When you book with them, the link on the website takes you directy to the company's website. You pay the same price.

Here is a response from the owner of the tripinsurance store that explains why someone found a price cheaper than what she had just paid with the tripinsurance store. Not sure if this will help or not. If it doesn't help, make sure you call or use the live chat feature on the tripinsurancestore's website to get your question answered. They can answer you more accurately than any of us can.

http://www.huffakerconsulting.com/blog/how-to-correctly-quote-a-travel-insurance-plan/

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Kazu: No, I mean CSA Travel Insurance Protection-I found this and the other one talked about before on CC and phoned them both;

spcl4- I did check RBC-I can't remember if they were the ones that told me you had to be clear 180 days prior or a long form filled out by the oncologist-I know I spoke with them and counted them out;

CtheW0rld-will compare that one as well, thanks;

vbmom87-thanks for that link....they sounded like they deal with "snowbird Canadians" a lot when I talked to them;

Also, I checked with CAA and they require a long form filled out by the oncologist and then they decide if they will even cover you.

It has been difficult finding a policy that covers pre-existing without having to get a pile of paperwork filled out by the doctor. The two insurance companies I listed cover the pre-existing.

OP -- a friend of ours joined Canadian Snowbird Association to obtain their insurance for pre-existing. He does a lot of research before committing to anything, so might be worth looking at their website.

Great info-I will check into that one, thank you.

OP -- a friend of ours joined Canadian Snowbird Association to obtain their insurance for pre-existing. He does a lot of research before committing to anything, so might be worth looking at their website.

I phoned and spoke with them and they require an application to be filled out because of recent chemo and then they have to give it to their underwriters to see if coverage would be approved-so have ruled that one out....darn..

I phoned and spoke with them and they require an application to be filled out because of recent chemo and then they have to give it to their underwriters to see if coverage would be approved-so have ruled that one out....darn..

Try posting your question on the Disabled Cruisers board and see if anyone over there has some suggestions.

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

And try the Cruise Insurance board too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Try posting your question on the Disabled Cruisers board and see if anyone over there has some suggestions.

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

And try the Cruise Insurance board too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Thank you so much for those links....I appreciate your help and have posted a question there...thanks again CowPrincess.

I know it can be overwhelming when looking for medical insurance. We traveled with a family member who had a long history of heart problems.

We used Primelink Travel Insurance. They do have forms to fill out, but I don't think any of it was for the doctor. You just have to know the diagnosis and meds that are being used. They call back promptly and give you a quote. It might be worth checking out. Hope you find what you are looking for.

http://www.primelinkinsurance.ca/underwriting.htm

My parents have used HAL Platinum insurance and had to cancel 10 days before a cruise. The doctor filled out the necessary claim forms and they got their refund without a problem. Of course, minus the Plat Ins premium.

I did notice that you specify 3 folks... if you can, you might be able to put your 'medical' person in the third berth on the cruise reservation, and that might save you a few $ on the policy.

We use 'trip insured' through our awesome TA, but when I looked at the policy, it does mention the 180 days.

I took my Mom and one of her friends out on a 'girls' trip on the Sovereign of the Seas. Mom was under Hospice care, having stopped cancer treatment, and her friend was still a cancer patient. Both my 'girls' had an absolute blast, and I did too. (small stop for a big smile and a little tear)

I hope you all enjoy your trip to the fullest!

Wendy

Thank you to everyone for helping me out.

I finally made the decision and booked through a company that has the pre-existing medical exclusion waiver (and no long forms to fill out) and cancellation as long as pre-paid prior to final payment.

We have no intentions of canceling this trip as we are so looking forward to this holiday but it was important to have this coverage just in case.

Thank you to everyone for helping me out.

I finally made the decision and booked through a company that has the pre-existing medical exclusion waiver (and no long forms to fill out) and cancellation as long as pre-paid prior to final payment.

We have no intentions of canceling this trip as we are so looking forward to this holiday but it was important to have this coverage just in case.

Very happy that you got this resolved. Now you can move on to your cruise planning:D

Very happy that you got this resolved. Now you can move on to your cruise planning:D

Exactly...and I did just that today by booking the Pinnacle and Tamarind! Now on to looking at excursions. :)

Archived