stinging water?

sheephugs

A couple of years ago, my DH, DD & myself did the Twister speed boat trip to Passion Island. If you're not familiar with Twister, it's a high speed boat that does twists causing waves of water to cover the passengers. We really liked it & are planning a trip in August & would like to do it again. Here is the problem. About halfway through the trip there an throughout the day, my DD's & my face were stinging by the water. It wasn't the velocity the water was hitting us, it seems to be because of the salt (maybe mingling with our sunscreen??) Did anyone else experience this? Better yet, does anyone have any advice as to how to avoid it? Thanks for any help!

We are on the Destiny and we get to Cozumel at 1:00 pm. Can you fill me in on this Twister speed boat trip to Passion Island??? We are grandparents traveling with 2 teenage grandchildren and this sounds life fun. Can we book this when we get off the ship????? or do we need to book pre-arrival in Cozumel. Appreciate any info on Passion Island.

Thanks

Not the answer I wanted Crewsweeper but probably the best advice. You're right we were probably sunburned from earlier in the week.

Joyce & Bob, I would advise booking it online. You can do that by going to Carnival's website, choosing shore excursions in Cozumel & it's on page 2 & called "Isla Pasion by Twister". That said, I'll give you some info you might want to consider. It isn't recommended if you have back & neck pain/problems. It really does wrenching jerks & feels like you will tip over. You are strapped in like a roller coaster (over the head harness) & everything gets wet. You will arrive at Passion Island soaked. The crew will stash your bags below & they stay dry (the bags-not the crew:)). When you get to Passion Island there are plenty of chaise lounges and a few hammocks. There's also a lot of shade. Certain drinks are included (margaritas, rum punch, sodas, beer, etc) and others you can buy at the cash bar like pina coladas. There are shops with typical souveniers and the vendors aren't bad. You also have use of a water trampoline & kayaks. A delicious lunch is included. Then you make the return trip by Twister. The downside is that it never seems like enough time on the island! If Twister isn't a fit for you, there are excursions there by ferry. Whatever you choose to do, have a great cruise!!

Interesting.....when I went snorkeling with my sister and BIL in Cozumel last year, we all 3 felt like there was something in the water that was stinging us. And it certainly wasn't hitting us at a high velocity.

Not the answer I wanted Crewsweeper but probably the best advice. You're right we were probably sunburned from earlier in the week.

Joyce & Bob, I would advise booking it online. You can do that by going to Carnival's website, choosing shore excursions in Cozumel & it's on page 2 & called "Isla Pasion by Twister". That said, I'll give you some info you might want to consider. It isn't recommended if you have back & neck pain/problems. It really does wrenching jerks & feels like you will tip over. You are strapped in like a roller coaster (over the head harness) & everything gets wet. You will arrive at Passion Island soaked. The crew will stash your bags below & they stay dry (the bags-not the crew:)). When you get to Passion Island there are plenty of chaise lounges and a few hammocks. There's also a lot of shade. Certain drinks are included (margaritas, rum punch, sodas, beer, etc) and others you can buy at the cash bar like pina coladas. There are shops with typical souveniers and the vendors aren't bad. You also have use of a water trampoline & kayaks. A delicious lunch is included. Then you make the return trip by Twister. The downside is that it never seems like enough time on the island! If Twister isn't a fit for you, there are excursions there by ferry. Whatever you choose to do, have a great cruise!!

Thanks for the great answer....you were a great HELP!

Interesting.....when I went snorkeling with my sister and BIL in Cozumel last year, we all 3 felt like there was something in the water that was stinging us. And it certainly wasn't hitting us at a high velocity.

That could have been sea lice. They're microscopic jellyfish that are in the water at different times of the year.

We use a sunscreen called Safe Sea to protect against that.

WOW! you c.c. people know everything. Good to know about the sunscreen. Know where we can buy it?????

I've used Safe Sea lotion mainly in the spring months (April, May) in the Yucatan when these lil guys are hatching, but it can be used all year long.....google it, or go to amazon, I've never seen it in stores though.

Archived