Juneau after helicopter/dogsledding to Herbert Glacier

cdnliving

Hello. I am hoping those who have already been can share their thoughts/opinions on the following........We have booked a Helicopter tour to Herbert Glacier and Dog Sledding while in Juneau. It lasts 2 hours. We thought we would then go for lunch and following this thought we'd like to either take the tram to Mt. Roberts or take the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier. Which of these two would you recommend, given that we will have already been to the Herbert Glacier in the morning. Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experiences......

I did a helicopter / dog sled in Skaway, IMHO it wouldn't change my very enjoyable 30' hike at Mendenhall, wouldn't have changed it one bit. We really enjoyed the views and hike to the Falls. I hear Mt Roberts is also great. Only you can take a look at the many pictures online and decide, there is no wrong here :D

Thanks for the replies. MSKaufman we get back at 12:15p.m. Then though we'd grab lunch at Tracies followed by a trek up to Mendenhall.

Our ship leaves port at 8:30 p.m. so it seems like we have a lot of time.

Chipmaster - sounds like Mendenhall is beautiful and a must do, so think we will follow suit. Thanks for sharing your experiences...

We did a long helicopter flight in Juneau (the Glacier Trek) and didn't get back until 515pm and our ship left at 830pm. We contacted Harv and Marv and went whale watching for about 3 hours with him. Read up on it those guys on here, they're awesome. It wasn't as long as the normal trip but it was really good. And since the sun stays up so late you can cram a lot into a day.

Thanks Olozbol... Harv and Marvs sounds great but we are already booked with FISHES in Icy Strait Point - same type of offering I believe. So, its sounds like a trek to Mendenhall will be worth it, even though it might be a little of the same ....probably can't get too much right????

The tram is a an all day ticket, so with a long port time, it also is nice going up at dusk.

As for Mendenhall, only you can decide, IF it is of interest to you?? It is not a very active glacier, there are several well marked hiking trails, again if of interest?

For most people, I only recommend going direct between Mendenhall and most helicopter tours, since it saves at least an hour in transit time, backtracking. With all day in port and no priorities for other touring, the time is less critical.

Juneau is an excellent walking city ast well. Loaded with hidden gems, again, if of interest. At your library, Alaska travel books have walking tours, and maps are available at the dock visitor center.

Archived