Renting a car in Naples...Need some planning help!

rlyans

We have rented a car in Naples and could use some help planning our day. we will be in port 9am til 9pm but we need to have the car back by 7pm. We would like to drive down the A3 then down the SP2 to Maiori stopping in Ravello then Amaifi then Positano. Then back in the afternoon to see Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius. (and back by 7pm) Do you think this is doable? Is it too much? If so what could we miss? Also is driving south to north ok or would it be better to drive south and then up the SP2? I thought the traffic would be better going north early. Any help would be appreciated......rlyans

By the way this is on Thursday July 21 th...

We have rented a car in Naples and could use some help planning our day. we will be in port 9am til 9pm but we need to have the car back by 7pm. We would like to drive down the A3 then down the SP2 to Maiori stopping in Ravello then Amaifi then Positano. Then back in the afternoon to see Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius. (and back by 7pm) Do you think this is doable? Is it too much? If so what could we miss? Also is driving south to north ok or would it be better to drive south and then up the SP2? I thought the traffic would be better going north early. Any help would be appreciated......rlyans

If you look on a map, you'll see that the road along the Amalfi coast is long and winding. Also, it depends on when you are going and how many ships will be in port. (Off season?) Positano is further than Ravello, please look at a map. Amalfi is on the way back, a little bit of sorts closer to Positano. Mt. Vesuvius is kind of right there, to look at, and u need to devote at least 2 or so hours to Pompeii, get a guide...I guess what I'm trying to say is: you will not be able to do all of this in 1 day, there's only 1 road from Naples to Positano/Amalfi coast, it's pretty winding, spend some time in both or all 3 towns, then go to Pompeii for 2 hours. People usually do Pompeii and Sorrento in 1 day---you also have to allow for ALOT of traffic....Just my opinion....

Have you been to Naples before? Unless you are familiar with the area, I would not suggest renting a car (or at least see if you can arrange to pick up the car just outside the city limits). Driving in Naples is more difficult than driving in any US city. Neapolitans are extremely aggressive drivers and are known for not following road signs and driving laws. A 2 lane road is often made into a 3-4 lane road and there are literally only 2-3 inches between you and the car next to you at times. We had many instances where people reached out their cars and pounded on ours. (We lived in Naples for 2.5 years.) If you do decide to rent a car, its a good idea to get insurance.

As for your suggested itinerary, I do think it is a lot to do in one day, especially if you want to spend time looking around any of the cities you plan to visit. Luckily the traffic on a Thursday will be better than the weekend, but it will still be slow going. If you truly want to get it all done in a day, I would suggest stopping at Pompei on your way down and doing that first. Then continue on to Ravello and Amalfi. Then look at how you are doing on time and decide whether or not to continue on to Positano. Then you can either do the Amalfi drive back (the big danger here is if you hit traffic there is no easy way to get back to the highway and you risk missing your ship's departure) or you can just head back towards Ravello and then back to the A3. Remember to have some Euro as the A3 is a toll road.

Also, as for a guide in Pompei, I have done both guided tours and non-guided tours. I think the best and most cost efficient way to see the ruins is to rent one of those talking wands where you press in a number and hold it up to your ear and listen. You might have to leave a piece of ID when you rent it, but we always got ours back without any problems.

And if you do decide to do the entire Amalfi Coast, please make sure no one in you party is prone to motion/car sickness or bring lots of dramamine as it is an extremely windy road.

Boy, we have driven all over Europe, long enough to have leased a car, and I would not do this! There are many great tours where you can leave the driving to an experienced local and you can enjoy the sights. Our tour went along the coast with several brief stops, we had a fabulous lunch high up in the hills overlooking the Med, and then a nap on our way to Pompeii; back at the ship in perfect time.

I am not a 'tour taker' but this was one place where I thought it was totally worthwhile. We shared with some CC folks and our cost was 150 euros per couple which included the tip.

Wow...we have rented cars all over Italy, but would never rent one in Naples and drive around...do a private tour!! If you insist on driving, make sure you research when you stop where you are going to park, and bring lots of Euros. When we did a private tour several years ago of the Amalfi Drive I seem to remember that parking in Positano was something like 20 Euros per hour or something outrageous (assuming you can even find public parking). Good luck!

Wow...we have rented cars all over Italy, but would never rent one in Naples and drive around...do a private tour!! If you insist on driving, make sure you research when you stop where you are going to park, and bring lots of Euros. When we did a private tour several years ago of the Amalfi Drive I seem to remember that parking in Positano was something like 20 Euros per hour or something outrageous (assuming you can even find public parking). Good luck!

I am seconding this advice based on experience. Even if you have the best and most updated GPS it can't help with the parking fees and availability not to mention the traffic this time of year.

Thanks for some input all. Is there anyone out there that has rented a car in Naples and driven the Amalfi coast? Still looking for the best plan to and from the coast. Should we try to go down the SP2 and see Ravello and then up to Amalfi and on to Positano? Or would it be better to go south and stop in Positano first and then on to Amalfi and Ravello and then up the SP2 to the A3 and back to Pompeli... Thanks all....rlyans

Thanks for some input all. Is there anyone out there that has rented a car in Naples and driven the Amalfi coast? Still looking for the best plan to and from the coast. Should we try to go down the SP2 and see Ravello and then up to Amalfi and on to Positano? Or would it be better to go south and stop in Positano first and then on to Amalfi and Ravello and then up the SP2 to the A3 and back to Pompeli... Thanks all....rlyans

I can give a partial opinion regarding this question. After consulting with my husband who was the driver for this particular vacation it would be best to start at your southern most point using the A3 exiting at Vietri sul Mare and working your way north on SP2 to Amalfi and Positano. If these towns and the coast drive are the priority you will be in a better position to judge your remaining time for Pompeii and your rental return.

We have not nor would we rent a car in Naples, the closest we've come is a rental car exchange at the Naples airport during a week in Sorrento. Even then we did not use the car except to go to Paestum. We used the Circumvesuviana and SITA buses for everything else.

Thanks for your repley. I am still a little confused? You said take the A-3 to Vietri sul mare and then up the SP2.... When you get of at Vieti sul mare you head up the Amalifi coast on SS163. The SP2 cuts thru from the A-3 to Maiori. does anyone know if this is a fairly good road that could save us some time heading down to Maiori and then up to Ravello and then to Amalifi. If it's slow going we could head back the SP-2 back to Pompeii... If not we could continue on to Positano and on...any ideas? Thanks, rlyans

All I can say is GOOD LUCK! This will not be your finest hour for driving......the narrow roads, the cliffs, the traffic.....

Thanks for your repley. I am still a little confused? You said take the A-3 to Vietri sul mare and then up the SP2.... When you get of at Vieti sul mare you head up the Amalifi coast on SS163. The SP2 cuts thru from the A-3 to Maiori. does anyone know if this is a fairly good road that could save us some time heading down to Maiori and then up to Ravello and then to Amalifi. If it's slow going we could head back the SP-2 back to Pompeii... If not we could continue on to Positano and on...any ideas? Thanks, rlyans

Sorry my typo. Don't know the condition of SP2. If you don't want to go as far as Vietri your routing would be fine. At least this will give you an idea of how heavy traffic is. I can only say that except for the A3, these are all one lane each way, heavy traffic roads, maybe by going south first and heading north you will be going against the morning "tide" of traffic.

I am curious as to your driving experience in Italy, if it is minimal I say this only because I would hate to see an otherwise wonderful day become an exercise in frustration and bad memories - hire a private driver who will take you where you want to go. If you are seasoned hands then my apologies for having an doubts.

We have not nor would we rent a car in Naples, the closest we've come is a rental car exchange at the Naples airport during a week in Sorrento. Even then we did not use the car except to go to Paestum. We used the Circumvesuviana and SITA buses for everything else.

LovesSicily, would you mind giving some more detail about your trip by car from Sorrento to Paestum? We are considering something similar next March and I was curious how you found the driving, how long your day was, and what route you took.

LovesSicily, would you mind giving some more detail about your trip by car from Sorrento to Paestum? We are considering something similar next March and I was curious how you found the driving, how long your day was, and what route you took.

Be happy to. While we fully intended to visit Paestum the week we were in Sorrento we really had not planned on going the day we did. This was the day of the rental car exchange at Naples airport. On the way back we were talking and my husband missed the exit for Sorrento from the A3 to 145. Since we found ourselves on A3 we said "what the heck" and decided this was the day for Paestum. We took the A3 down to the Vietri sul Mare exit and drove down the coast road from Salerno, through Salerno and right along the coast until we got to Paestum. I cannot ascertain a SS or SP route number from the maps I have but the road is the one hugging the coast from Salerno to it's intersection at SS18. We returned on SS18 to A3. The roads were in very good condition and traffic was light except through Salerno which slowed for the usual town traffic and lights, the drive was somewhere between 45 to 50 minutes from our missed exit. It was not a stressful journey going or returning. The first thing we saw were the walls around the town ruins and we did have to drive around the outside to find the entrance but as things go in Italy this was an easy find. Paestum remains one of our favorite sites for the sheer size of the temples.

Be happy to. While we fully intended to visit Paestum the week we were in Sorrento we really had not planned on going the day we did. This was the day of the rental car exchange at Naples airport. On the way back we were talking and my husband missed the exit for Sorrento from the A3 to 145. Since we found ourselves on A3 we said "what the heck" and decided this was the day for Paestum. We took the A3 down to the Vietri sul Mare exit and drove down the coast road from Salerno, through Salerno and right along the coast until we got to Paestum. I cannot ascertain a SS or SP route number from the maps I have but the road is the one hugging the coast from Salerno to it's intersection at SS18. We returned on SS18 to A3. The roads were in very good condition and traffic was light except through Salerno which slowed for the usual town traffic and lights, the drive was somewhere between 45 to 50 minutes from our missed exit. It was not a stressful journey going or returning. The first thing we saw were the walls around the town ruins and we did have to drive around the outside to find the entrance but as things go in Italy this was an easy find. Paestum remains one of our favorite sites for the sheer size of the temples.

Thanks! I looked at my map and can follow your route. Are there nice views along the S18 from Salerno to Paestum? And about how long did you spend at Paestum itself?

Thanks! I looked at my map and can follow your route. Are there nice views along the S18 from Salerno to Paestum? And about how long did you spend at Paestum itself?

The sea views were nice, the area from Salerno south is very flat with some rolling hills off to the west, not the wow factor of other areas of Italy, I would say pleasant. It also gives you an understanding of why malaria helped put an end to Paestum. We spent at least 2 hours there - we look at everything.

We did this trip in April, less traffic and crowds. There were no crowds/large tours the day we were there.

I'd suggest you contact Romeinlimo.com and arrange a private tour with Jany. We just returned last weekend and used them. Save your self the stress and trouble and leave the driving to them.

Thank you LovesSicily, I am a UPS driver.(31 years) I drive a big truck in the small alleys of downtown Los Angeles. I have driven the big Sur coast in California in a moterhome many times. I have driven all over the Dolimites in Italy and in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Ireland..etc. I have gotten lost a couple of times, but that is part of the fun. I have heard that Naples can be a little confusing to get out of the city. Then it looks pretty easy. Has anyone ever driven the SP2 down to the coast? We are just the type of people that really love to drive on our own. Stopping when we want and then moving on as we wish. We thought if we drive down the SP2 to the coast road stopping in Ravello and then Amalfi, if the traffic is horrible then we can head back up the SP2 to the A3... If not on to Positano and back to Pompeii. We have rented a car from Hertz and have it from 8am till they close at 7pm 11 hours. (ship leaves at 9pm) We have heard the coast is stunning and a drive to always remember! Thanks, rlyans

I've driven in the city and along the coast several times, it's not that hard. It is, as I've said before, always confusing when you are in a new place surrounded by drivers who know where they are going. Everything goes by faster than you expect and when you combine that with a language barrier, it can be a bit much. I grew up driving in New York City, so maybe some nerve endings were permanently damaged at an early age, but I don't find Naples driving all that awful.

The issue is always going to be traffic, more than anything else. It's hard to predict, so you need to have a back up plan or two in order to get your car back on time. I like to have a good paper map in addition to a GPS system - I have the Touring Club Italiano atlases and take them with me whenever I'm going to be driving in Italy.

Thank you LovesSicily, I am a UPS driver.(31 years) I drive a big truck in the small alleys of downtown Los Angeles. I have driven the big Sur coast in California in a moterhome many times. I have driven all over the Dolimites in Italy and in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Ireland..etc. I have gotten lost a couple of times, but that is part of the fun. I have heard that Naples can be a little confusing to get out of the city. Then it looks pretty easy. Has anyone ever driven the SP2 down to the coast? We are just the type of people that really love to drive on our own. Stopping when we want and then moving on as we wish. We thought if we drive down the SP2 to the coast road stopping in Ravello and then Amalfi, if the traffic is horrible then we can head back up the SP2 to the A3... If not on to Positano and back to Pompeii. We have rented a car from Hertz and have it from 8am till they close at 7pm 11 hours. (ship leaves at 9pm) We have heard the coast is stunning and a drive to always remember! Thanks, rlyans

This should be a wonderful day then. You might try TripAdvisor or www.slowtravel.com to get some input on SP2. I Googled it and it looks like a very scenic drive to Amalfi.

Euro cruiser, have you ever driven the SP2 down to Maiori? Is the road very good? How long does it take to drive from the autostrada down the SP2 to Maiori? We thought we could stop at Ravello and Amalfi and if the traffic is bad cut back up the SP2. If not continue on.

LovesSicily thanks for the advice and websites... Rlyans

We were on the SP2 a few years ago (we opted for hiring a driver for the day) and the road was not bad at all. Traffic will be your biggest issue, the one advantage of a private tour option is that they have contacts keeping the informed of traffic issues. I would also suggest going to the farthest site/town first and then working your way back. Give yourself a good cushion of time for getting back as well.

Euro cruiser, have you ever driven the SP2 down to Maiori? Is the road very good? How long does it take to drive from the autostrada down the SP2 to Maiori? We thought we could stop at Ravello and Amalfi and if the traffic is bad cut back up the SP2. If not continue on.

We've driven the SP2 both ways. It was a little confusing making the connection onto the A3 autrostrada heading northbound, a little less so finding the SP2 going southbound. We exited the autostrada at Angri and drove some local streets before connecting with the SP2. Be aware that the SP2 is a rural mountain road and you can run into fog at the top of the pass, or the occasional farm animal. Other than that it's a beautiful ride.

I'd allow about an hour from Angri to Maiori on this road.

Thanks Euro Cruiser, I think this sounds like the best option. How long do you think it would take to get back to Hertz (Naples port) with traffic from Pompeii? I'm getting excited to see this area of Italy... Thanks again, rlyans

Archived