All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

It took us about 3 1/2 hours and that was in the worst rainstorm that we've been in for a long time! It's not a bad drive, just heavy traffic, we left from Richmond, Va and total was just about 6 hrs with one stop @ the Maryland House. We are going to take the train this time... same amount of time much should be more relaxing!

It took us about 3 1/2 hours and that was in the worst rainstorm that we've been in for a long time! It's not a bad drive, just heavy traffic, we left from Richmond, Va and total was just about 6 hrs with one stop @ the Maryland House. We are going to take the train this time... same amount of time much should be more relaxing!

How about the luggage? How many can you take?

Grandma, on Amtrak I think you can take 3 checked bags and a carry on per person. Weight limit is 50lbs/checked bag. This is our first train adventure so It may be quite an experience! We are just looking forward to not driving. We have been on the Enchantment out of Baltimore but hated that ship. Baltimore was wonderful but not the ship, way too crowded and small cabins! Great staff, though! We have fallen in love with the Explorer and have four more cruises booked on her. Take a look @ Amtrak and see if you would be interested... Don't forget to factor in gas and parking prices, driving hazards, etc.

Grandma, on Amtrak I think you can take 3 checked bags and a carry on per person. Weight limit is 50lbs/checked bag. This is our first train adventure so It may be quite an experience! We are just looking forward to not driving. We have been on the Enchantment out of Baltimore but hated that ship. Baltimore was wonderful but not the ship, way too crowded and small cabins! Great staff, though! We have fallen in love with the Explorer and have four more cruises booked on her. Take a look @ Amtrak and see if you would be interested... Don't forget to factor in gas and parking prices, driving hazards, etc.

Is there an Amtrak stop near the port?

Is there an Amtrak stop near the port?

The Newark Penn Station and the Newark Liberty airport have Amtrak stops. We are coming in to the airport terminal because our hotel is just a hop skip & jump away. Independent Driver car service is picking us up and taking us to Country Inn & Suites for $14.00 for the two of us. We leave from Newark Penn Station and the ride will be $50 from the cruiseport.

Edited by not2old

What type of selection is there in the Windjammer for lunch? We found that, on smaller ships like Enchantment and Majesty, there was less selection, whereas Liberty had everything the small ships had plus more, i.e., sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, fries--in addition to the pasta, meat, vegetable, etc. stations.

Independent Driver car service is picking us up and taking us to Country Inn & Suites for $14.00 for the two of us. We leave from Newark Penn Station and the ride will be $50 from the cruiseport.

At 138east's suggestion, we used Independent Driver as well and they were good.

Tim

I was seasick on my first cruise. Someone told me about ginger pills and that is what I take now. Starting the day before we embark I take the ginger every day. I have also taken half a bonine tablet, but didnt need it on my last cruise. Good luck

Has anyone tried the prescription patch for seasickness? I have been on one cruise and I used it and worked really well.

http://www.transdermscop.com/transderm-scop-patient-information.htm

link for the seasickness patch

At 138east's suggestion, we used Independent Driver as well and they were good.

Tim

Glad to hear someone else has used them and been satisfied. I took a chance in Feb and it worked out well. If you can get a group of at least 4 people together, it's a great deal at $10/pp from an airport hotel to the pier, particularly since many folks travel in pairs.

I heard RCL is waiving the bring your lifejacket to the muster drill. Is this the case for the Explorer of the Seas?

Yes, you are correct. We did not have to have them in May. I think this is now fleet wide.

Tim

What are your top 3 things you "must do" on Explorer?

I want to make sure I don't miss out on anything :)

Loralie

I thought the entertainment was very good, so go to the shows.

Join your roll call and go to the meet and mingle. RCI gave out a lot of good prizes, excursions, free internet, wine, etc.

Do a cabin crawl, see the various kinds of suites. Lot of fun, very interesting.

In MDR, order 3 appetizers and 2 dinners.

What are your top 3 things you "must do" on Explorer?

I want to make sure I don't miss out on anything :)

Loralie

book a b2b??? :p

the shows, especially the ice show are wonderful!!

stay up for one of the parades...

get up early one day and wander around the ship...it's fun to watch everything come to life (that can be on any ship...)

head up to the helipad......you go out on deck 4, and keep walking forward til you come to a staircase...you'll find it...

Try and be outside (weather permitting) when the ship goes under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge...looks like it won't fit, but it does....

have fun......i'm about to take my 11th cruise on EX...never get tired of that ship (heck, i'm pretty OK with ANY ship, but this one is less than an hour from my house!)

I thought the entertainment was very good, so go to the shows.

Join your roll call and go to the meet and mingle. RCI gave out a lot of good prizes, excursions, free internet, wine, etc.

Do a cabin crawl, see the various kinds of suites. Lot of fun, very interesting.

In MDR, order 3 appetizers and 2 dinners.

meet and mingle and cabin crawl sounds like fun. Hopefully my roll call will get more people as we get closer to my date. :)

I don't know if I could eat 3 appetizers and 2 dinners!!! LOL

Thanks for the tips,

Loralie

book a b2b??? :p

the shows, especially the ice show are wonderful!!

stay up for one of the parades...

get up early one day and wander around the ship...it's fun to watch everything come to life (that can be on any ship...)

head up to the helipad......you go out on deck 4, and keep walking forward til you come to a staircase...you'll find it...

Try and be outside (weather permitting) when the ship goes under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge...looks like it won't fit, but it does....

have fun......i'm about to take my 11th cruise on EX...never get tired of that ship (heck, i'm pretty OK with ANY ship, but this one is less than an hour from my house!)

I would love to try ALL of your ideas, esp the b2b!!!! :D

Keep the ideas comming, these are great!!!

Loralie

Be sure to explore the Fitness Center. There is a massive indoor hot tub there plus locker rooms with a sauna, steam room, large showers, and plenty of towels. No need to check out a RCL towel that you have to keep track - just take what you need from the locker room.

Be sure to explore the Fitness Center. There is a massive indoor hot tub there plus locker rooms with a sauna, steam room, large showers, and plenty of towels. No need to check out a RCL towel that you have to keep track - just take what you need from the locker room.

Great idea about the towels from the locker room, let's kee

It our little secret so RCCL doesn't catch on. LOL

Fitness Center??? Hmmm...never found that..:p

Actually the fitness center offers a very nice view, from the bikes i believe...

As for 3 aps and 2 dinners...well sometimes i will get a soup or salad and an appetizer...kind of depends on what is there...

if you're with a group (or even just 2..or even just me!) you can ask to get something to share....

before they changed the menu a little, the rule for the 1st formal night was that you HAD to get both the grand marnier souffle AND cherries jubilee...well, now the souffle is chocolate and is on a different night!!:p

i always say try some new foods...if you don't like it, send it back...

that's another thing..if by chance you DO NOT like your food, tell your server....if you have, say an overcooked steak and you don't tell them..but put it on the guest survey, they can wind up losing tables, thus losing money.

Soooo, they WANT you to be happy....just politely tell them that you don't care for something and it will be fixed...

can someone pass me some vidalia onion tart, hungry!

Yes, good question. I'm still waiting to hear if there is some alternative to the ridiculous $19/day parking fee which adds up to $171 for a nine night cruise.

You think that's ridiculous try parking at the NY Pier 30 dollars a day