All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I'm the type of person who gets seasick watching a movie that has a boat being tossed around by rough seas. I was on the Explorer in May and only felt any sort of motion ONE night and after taking one bonine, I was completely fine.

I did notice that sometimes at dinner or in the theater, you could feel the ship moving a little more, but I've found that on almost all my cruises, whether in the Atlantic off the east coast, or in the caribbean.

The Explorer is a big ship and if you've been OK on other ships, you should be OK on this one too. That being said, the Atlantic does get more 'rough' seas than say, the water down by St. Thomas. As long as you are prepared (and it sounds like you are!) you should be fine.

Same here.. I take one every day and if I start to feel even the slightest bit of nausea coming on.. I take another.

I've sailed out of Bayonne twice; once on a New England cruise in July and the second time on an eleven day Southern Caribbean cruise in March. The seas were realtively calm for both. The worst seas we have ever encountered were on an Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. Go figure. I don't think the port of departure is the determining factor. Mother Nature makes the decision. On our rough seas cruise, a friend we were travelling with had an extra patch and it saved me from a day in bed. I usually bring ginger capsules to be safe.

Hi all....my DH and I will be sailing once again on EOS out of Cape Liberty....love this and can't wait, but this is the first time we are not sailing from a FL port. Over the weekend I was talking with a few folks who now have me worried...insisting that the seas are very rough....hurricane or not and that no sea sickness remedies helped them.

DH and I usually start taking Bonine two days before and then into the cruise and I have to say...I enjoy the lull of the ship...even when it's a bit more wavy.

But now these folks have me thinking.....and wanted to hear your experiences. Can it be that bad....and if so, why would so many people cruise from the US eastern ports? :rolleyes:

I am prone to motion sickness and even have a hard time sitting in the back seat of the car so I too was worried the first time on Explorer in Oct 2009 for 9 days but I was fine. I just took a Bonine everyday and believe it or not, the cocktails helped. We also did a 12 day in Jan 2011 and on the way home sailed through a Noreaster :eek: but thankfully it was between midnight and 9am so I was fine with all the rocking, sort of like being a baby in a cradle :p Loved the Explorer so much we are doing a 10 day in March so don't stress and have a great time:D

Coming back to Bayonne in January on Explorer we hit the wind part of a snowstorm that was hitting the NY area. 70+ mph winds and 25' seas. It made for an interesting night. The outside decks were closed, pools empty and deck chairs tied down.

That was about as bad as I've seen but it really wasn't that bad on the boat. A lot of it was at night. We had some drawers and doors opening and closing and moved around a bit in bed but there was nothing scary about it.

You just never know what the weather will be. Other times on the same trip it was very calm.

The joy of leaving from Bayonne and not having to deal with airports more than makes up for what might be a few uncomfortable hours.

Can't wait to sail out of Bayonne. This will be our first RCI sailing and having this option makes the trip great already.

We will be going for Christmas week and have been discouraged that reservations for everything seems to begin very late. Am I maniputlating the site correctly? Could I make reservations for even dining times with MTD if I called my "planner"? (We just booked online since we weren't eligible for any deals or discounts.)

The only list I found says reservations for everything (except to order something from gifts and gear) won't begin until November.

Seems very late. Other trips we've been on started much earlier, up to almost a year in advance.

Or, am I doing something wrong? Perhaps something unique to RCL or EOS. . .

Thanks.

We are on the 12/1 sailing and were able to reserve Portofino's last month. Water/Soda packages etc. still have not opened up, but some of the excursions are open for booking. This is not uncommon, most of the things are open in most cases no later than 3 months out:)

Can't wait to sail out of Bayonne. This will be our first RCI sailing and having this option makes the trip great already.

We will be going for Christmas week and have been discouraged that reservations for everything seems to begin very late. Am I maniputlating the site correctly? Could I make reservations for even dining times with MTD if I called my "planner"? (We just booked online since we weren't eligible for any deals or discounts.)

The only list I found says reservations for everything (except to order something from gifts and gear) won't begin until November.

Seems very late. Other trips we've been on started much earlier, up to almost a year in advance.

Or, am I doing something wrong? Perhaps something unique to RCL or EOS. . .

Thanks.

It's the same thing for the NYE cruise, although I hadn't heard that it wouldn't open up until November! I figured the holidays are what is holding it up - also the late arrival in port. I think RCI has not found out what excursions will be available on those days yet. As for not opening other things like MTD, drink/soda packages etc, I have no idea why they are not selling them now.

Is the Windjammer the only palce open for lunch after boarding the ship?
The Promenade Cafe is open, they have great little sandwiches & pizza if you are looking for something quick. They also have cookies.

Sea bands work wonders and you will not have to remember to take any pills!

I put them on for the car ride to the port and only take them off when I am in the shower on the ship or ashore. They really work and I swear by them after years of taking Dramine and Bonnie. Be sure to also wear them if you are tendering ashore. You will not even feel the least bit queasy with them on.

MARAPRINCE

We are on the 12/1 sailing and were able to reserve Portofino's last month. Water/Soda packages etc. still have not opened up, but some of the excursions are open for booking. This is not uncommon, most of the things are open in most cases no later than 3 months out:)

Hey, Karen!

I can't seem to get the website to cooperate with a Portofino's ressie. I called RCI tonight to take the big plunge to MTD; the agent said that on-line Portofino's reservations cannot be made until 90 days out.

I am confused.

Teddie

So, I broke down and booked MTD. I have always enjoyed the very traditional dinner seating, but we're ready to try something new. Anyone have menus for the 10 night? Is the 10-night menu the same as the 9-night with one extra day tagged onto the end? Any help on this is appreciated.

Teddie

Edited by teddie
Pressed "enter" too soon!

Hey, Karen!

I can't seem to get the website to cooperate with a Portofino's ressie. I called RCI tonight to take the big plunge to MTD; the agent said that on-line Portofino's reservations cannot be made until 90 days out.

I am confused.

Teddie

Yeah, I would be to...could it be they've stopped booking while they adjust the prices for the optional dining venues:confused: That's the only thing I can think of.

You just need to keep checking. I check every few days to see if they've opened up water/soda etc., as I'm reserving things and putting them on my AMEX so they'll be paid for long before we set sail. It's less painfull to divvy them up over several months:p

I check every few days to see if they've opened up water/soda etc., as I'm reserving things and putting them on my AMEX so they'll be paid for long before we set sail. It's less painfull to divvy them up over several months:p

Yes, for sure. I thought they would bill for the tips at the point of the MTD booking, but they added it to my balance. Now, I don't have to worry about filling the envelopes; something I always do before sail day. I booked during a sale, so my balance after $400/each deposit is not bad at all, even with the tips added on. My cabin fare for an E2 balcony is less than an inside right now...whooopppeee!

Teddie

I tuned in just in time to see it go under the bridge!

What webcam site are you using to watch the Explorer??

The one I have I can only see the Explorer as it just gets to the bridge, then the frame is blocked by trees/obstructions. That's as far as it can pan to the right.

I would really like to see it go under the bridge.

Thanks!

Quick question on the decks of the Explorer - What deck would be considered the "promenade" deck on the Explorer, a lower deck in the shade with a walking track and deck chairs to sit outside but out of the sun. It appears it may be on deck but would appreciate any input before booking rooms. We always like to be close to this deck and use it as our balcony.

Thanks for any help.

Quick question on the decks of the Explorer - What deck would be considered the "promenade" deck on the Explorer, a lower deck in the shade with a walking track and deck chairs to sit outside but out of the sun. It appears it may be on deck but would appreciate any input before booking rooms. We always like to be close to this deck and use it as our balcony.

Thanks for any help.

The "Promenade" is deck 5, but that is center of the ship, an atrium of shops and probably the central focus of the EOS.

The "lower deck in the shade" would be deck 4, however, it does not wrap around the ship and is not a "walking deck" per se.

Here is a picture:

1_deck4.jpg?t=1310917620

Deck 4 is a nice quiet location out of the way with deck chairs that are always available. There is a shuffleboard on deck 4 also. Starboard side allows smoking.

Thanks for any help.

Deck 4. I think.

or 5?

Edited by dajulieness

deck 4...you can't go outside on deck 5.....(well you can if you're hanging off the window washing thinggie...)

they only was to walk all around the ship is out by the pool.....and above.....i haven't had enough coffee to make sense......

the walking track is on deck 12 i think...but there really isn't much shade up there....

if you want to sit in the shade, hang with the lifeboats!! (not literally...)

Deck 4. It does wrap around the ship but you need to go up a set of stairs to get around the bow, then down on the other side. Plenty of people use it for walking.

Edited by B-52

How do I find the thread all things explorer of the seas part 1. I had saved some of the posts in my favorite places on my computer and when I click on it now it says "You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons"

Have we lost everything that was posted on that thread. I realize we should be posting on part 2 and not part 1 but there was a lot of good information on that thread.

Edited by cbenjisgirl