All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I know this is just a small, stupid thing to post but just in case it might help someone, the cabin hallways were not opened for our cruise until 1:30. I know it is only 30 minutes later but we just ASSUMED (and we all know what this means) they would open at 1:00.

Tim

I disagree. Every time I have been on the longer Explorer cruises the time has changed - an hour forward on the way down and an hour back on the return. This puts the ship on the same time as the islands.

Yes, they changed the time on the way to Bermuda and then after Bermuda on your way south. They change the clock at 2am in the morning. I can't seem to remember exactly what night either of the changes were made though.

However, check the 9-night compasses, the time changes should be listed.

Is St. Thomas the same time as us? i have the sea lion swim booked at Coral World for 11:15am - will that be the same as the ship time?

Our ship is due to arrive at 9am in St. Thomas -

St. Thomas is on the same time as the east coast. I too just came off the 9 night cruise from Bayonne on 6/23, we moved the clock one hour foward before Bermuda, then back an hour before St. Marten and St. Thomas as a previous cruiser wrote.

First medical evacuation I ever witnessed on a cruise also. Am just wondering if any fellow cruiser heard anything more about the person's condition?

I know this is just a small, stupid thing to post but just in case it might help someone, the cabin hallways were not opened for our cruise until 1:30. I know it is only 30 minutes later but we just ASSUMED (and we all know what this means) they would open at 1:00.

Tim

All that means for me is a drink at the pool bar after lunch before going to my room.

I'm thinking the time change is a Standard/Daylight Savings time issue. I cruise mostly in the winter to the Caribbean and there is an hour time difference. But if you're sailing in the summer, apparently some of the islands don't do Daylight Savings time - it sounds like Bermuda does DST (normally 1 hour ahead) and St. Thomas & St.Martin stay on standard time (same as east coast DST in the summer and an hour ahead in the winter)

Much too confusing - just pay attention to what the Compass says the time is and change your watch accordingly. A good private excursion will know what time your ship arrives and sails - if you're unsure do a time check first thing with them.

St. Thomas is on the same time as the east coast. I too just came off the 9 night cruise from Bayonne on 6/23, we moved the clock one hour foward before Bermuda, then back an hour before St. Marten and St. Thomas as a previous cruiser wrote.

First medical evacuation I ever witnessed on a cruise also. Am just wondering if any fellow cruiser heard anything more about the person's condition?

That is only true when the East coast is on daylight savings time. When the continent is on standard time the atlantic time zone is an hour ahead of the East coast. The time is the same during daylight savings as most of the islands do not observe it so when we move the clocks ahead we "catch up" to the islands.

Edited by Ocean Boy

The two times we sailed EX they stayed on Eastern time, as I think Bermuda is anyway. (I might be wrong) but nevertheless, we did stay on Eastern time One cruise was in March, the other in September.

Bermuda is in the Atlantic time zone.

I ran across a picture of the Explorer of the Seas cover in snow in NJ, but cannot find it on this boards. If anyone remembers where it is, or can re post it I would appreciate it. I was telling my DH about the pic and searched but cannot find it again, we are hoping that we won't see it that way when we sail in January 2012. Thanks for you help, Terri

I ran across a picture of the Explorer of the Seas cover in snow in NJ, but cannot find it on this boards. If anyone remembers where it is, or can re post it I would appreciate it. I was telling my DH about the pic and searched but cannot find it again, we are hoping that we won't see it that way when we sail in January 2012. Thanks for you help, Terri
Ditto for Dec 2011

I am pretty sure this is not the one you are thinking of, but I took this one last January...

GEDC0002-1.jpg

The picture you are looking for was on the old Everything Explorer thread.

dick

I am pretty sure this is not the one you are thinking of, but I took this one last January...

GEDC0002-1.jpg

Thank you for the picture, I am hoping that we don't see this, and it snows while we are gone. Don't want to deal with the snow trying to get onboard. Cannot wait to be on vacation, seems so far away.

Hi! First time cruisers here leaving August 18 from Bayonne on EXplorer. After reading manyposts about drinks that are complimentary onthe ship, I am wondering if we should book the soda packages ormaybe just book one package. I am concerned that not enough drinks will be available (say in between meals). Thoughts/advice?

Hi! First time cruisers here leaving August 18 from Bayonne on EXplorer. After reading manyposts about drinks that are complimentary onthe ship, I am wondering if we should book the soda packages ormaybe just book one package. I am concerned that not enough drinks will be available (say in between meals). Thoughts/advice?

Soda packages can NOT be shared. You will need to book one package for each person who would want to use it. If you don't think you will drink at least 3 sodas a day, it is not worth it.

That being said, I never had an issue with finding water, iced tea or lemonade to drink throughout the day. THe Windjammer is open pretty much all day from breakfast to dinner and you can always run in to grab iced tea or lemonade. Or get water from the bars around the ship. Or down in the Cafe Promenade, etc. etc.

Thank you for the replies. I would certainly have soda at least at lunch and dinner. I would probably prefer a water while at the pool. So I think that is something fiance and i will still discuss.

I read that you are not allowed to pack drinks with you. So do people hide them in their luggage? Do people bring liters of soda and cups or cans??

Thanks!

I read that you are not allowed to pack drinks with you. So do people hide them in their luggage? Do people bring liters of soda and cups or cans??

Thanks!

People do hide them in their checked luggage, carry on luggage, etc.

We brought a 12 pack of Mt. Dew (as they do not carry it on board and I do not drink any other kind of soda) that I had taped up and stuck luggage tags on. It was left with the porter with the rest of our luggage. I knew there was a chance it wouldn't make it and if that was the case, I'd just pick up a few cans on each of the islands.

It showed up with the rest of our stuff, but I would not have felt comfortable bringing a can of that around the ship, especially into the MDR. I would have one while we were in the cabin relaxing or getting ready at night. I also took off a few when we were going to the beach.

I had read the same thing about not being able to bring drinks onto the ship, but on my last cruise (Enchantment in January 2011) I packed a few in a duffle with no problem. Then when we stopped at our first port in Florida, I stopped at a Walmart and bought a 12 pack case of diet sodas and also a 12 bottle case of water. They were in open plastic Walmart bags and when I got back on ship, I put them on the table to go through the scanner and the guy who was inspecting bags just looked inside and asked "Is this just sodas and water?" I told him "yes" and he said "Okay". They went through the scanner and off I went. No problem on that sailing. Hope that continues to be the norm.

Interesting about smuggling soda, LOL. It seems like just another annoying thing to carry, but I will definitely talk to my fiance about it and see if he thinks it is really worth it! Thanks for all the ideas!

Interesting about smuggling soda, LOL. It seems like just another annoying thing to carry, but I will definitely talk to my fiance about it and see if he thinks it is really worth it! Thanks for all the ideas!

There really is no reason to smuggle soda....they allow you to take it onboard. We always bring at least a 6 or 12 pack of water to leave in the room. Makes it easy to take meds in the morning and it's there if we need to drink some during the night. Neither one of us drink much soda - I don't really drink it at all but DH does have some once in awhile. He usually brings a 6 pack of caffeine free diet coke but honestly, I think out of 6 there were 4 cans left so we just leave them with the room steward to keep.

We have sailed on the Explorer a number of times and we always bring a 24 pack of water. DH puts duct tape around the shrink wrap to reinforce it and we put a luggage tag on it. Never been a problem. We leave it with the porter. We do not drink soda.

We will be on the Explorer in April and my MIL will be in a HC room, 7304. She will be renting a scooter. My question is, when should we rent the scooter? Do you rent the scooter 6 months ahead of time? 3 months? Can you wait and do it 1 month before the cruise?

This is her first cruise and our first time dealing with a scooter on a cruise. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Loralie