All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Is your mother an experienced scooter driver used to getting in and out of tight places? My mother was used to tooling around the wide empty hallways of a retirement village - she didn't do well going up and down the gangway, maneuvering in and out of the elevator, or getting by the service carts in the hallways.

Contact RCL and they will tell you who their provider is and how and when to contact them about renting a scooter.

We stayed in 7304 - great cabin.

As far as the scooter goes email the special needs dept and they will assist you.

I usually bring 24 pack soda with me then I can have one in the room when I want it. No problem just pack in my carryon and give to porters. Got the soda package once but you are always carrying around the cup. I kept forgetting it and having to go back and get it! Just my thoughts.

Is your mother an experienced scooter driver used to getting in and out of tight places? My mother was used to tooling around the wide empty hallways of a retirement village - she didn't do well going up and down the gangway, maneuvering in and out of the elevator, or getting by the service carts in the hallways.

Contact RCL and they will tell you who their provider is and how and when to contact them about renting a scooter.

We stayed in 7304 - great cabin.

She is used to driving a scooter in stores like Target and Costco. She used a scooter in Disney World. I guess she will have to get used to it on the ship.

I have heard that some of the rooms need updating since the ship is over 10 years old. Did you feel that way about 7304? do you have any pics? Were there stains on the carpet or couch? My DH and I are not picky and we will have a good time no matter what, my MIL is very picky and usually finds something to complain about . Any info on her room would help. When did you stay in 7304?

Thanks,

Loralie

As far as the scooter goes email the special needs dept and they will assist you.

I usually bring 24 pack soda with me then I can have one in the room when I want it. No problem just pack in my carryon and give to porters. Got the soda package once but you are always carrying around the cup. I kept forgetting it and having to go back and get it! Just my thoughts.

You don't need to use the cup for the soda package. I would forget my legs if they weren't attached to me .. so I always forget the cup and they just give it to you in a regular cup.

She is used to driving a scooter in stores like Target and Costco. She used a scooter in Disney World. I guess she will have to get used to it on the ship.

I have heard that some of the rooms need updating since the ship is over 10 years old. Did you feel that way about 7304? do you have any pics? Were there stains on the carpet or couch? My DH and I are not picky and we will have a good time no matter what, my MIL is very picky and usually finds something to complain about . Any info on her room would help. When did you stay in 7304?

Thanks,

Loralie

Honestly, I don't remember - we stayed in 7304 2 1/2 years ago. Perhaps Red Devil (Dick and Mari) will see this and respond - they stayed in this cabin last Feb. I don't remember specific stains on the carpet or couch, but the cabin did have a lived in look and could use an update. We didn't care - it was such a large spacious room and balcony and just down the hall from the elevators. The library is on that deck which is a great public space near the cabin. Are all 3 of you in the same cabin?

Thanks,

Loralie

Hi, we were in 7304 last Feb.The cabin was clean, flat screen TV, no major stains could use some freshening, the railing needed to be stained as did most of them on deck 7.

Have fun.

Dick

You don't need to use the cup for the soda package. I would forget my legs if they weren't attached to me .. so I always forget the cup and they just give it to you in a regular cup.

I have always bought the soda package as it is my one major vice. I too forget the cup occasionally . Its not a problem. Never bring it to MDR or to lounges or bars in the evening. Just show your card. After the first night at dinner your waiter(s) will know that you have the package and they will serve it to you. Usually, only need to show the card the first night in MDR. And since you always have your seapass with you it's not a problem any other time. If you tend to hang out in the same locations, the bartenders will get to know you and won't need the card (especially if you tip at least once in a while). Some soda and water will be in the room but you will be charged if you use them. Also, Interior and Ocean View cabins do not have fridges but Steward will fill ice bucket two times a day. I usually fill the cup right before we retire for the evening at one of the bars or Cafe on Promenade. Since the cup they give you has a lid and somewhat thermal, it is really convenient to use especially by pool. If you both are big soda drinkers get two packages as you cannot share. If you will drink more than two sodas a day it is worth it to buy the package. Hope you enjoy your first cruise !

....Also, Interior and Ocean View cabins do not have fridges but Steward will fill ice bucket two times a day.....

I have always cruised in interior cabins and there has always been a fridge - or more specifically a cooler disguising itself as a fridge (same as all other cabins as I understand it). I'm not sure where you're getting your information.

Honestly, I don't remember - we stayed in 7304 2 1/2 years ago. Perhaps Red Devil (Dick and Mari) will see this and respond - they stayed in this cabin last Feb. I don't remember specific stains on the carpet or couch, but the cabin did have a lived in look and could use an update. We didn't care - it was such a large spacious room and balcony and just down the hall from the elevators. The library is on that deck which is a great public space near the cabin. Are all 3 of you in the same cabin?

Dear God No!!! :eek: I think I would kill myself if I had to share a cabin with my MIL for 9 nights! LOL. Thanks for the info on the cabin. I am so excited about the trip but at the same time I have such anxiety because of my MIL. She LOVES to complain and since this trip was basically my idea (and DH's) I will be the one to blame.

Loralie

Hi, we were in 7304 last Feb.The cabin was clean, flat screen TV, no major stains could use some freshening, the railing needed to be stained as did most of them on deck 7.

Have fun.

Dick

Thanks so much for the info on the cabin. I'm happy she will have a flat screen. I know most of the rooms still have the old TVs. Hopefully she wont find too much to complain about.

Thanks,

Loralie

Glad a new thread was started, it will be much easier to get info. We are sailing her in July and I can't get an appointment for a couples massage. Everything is booked! Has anyone ever experienced this? Should I wait till we board and hope a lot of people have cancelled?

Also, still can't decide what to do in St. Thomas, we have been there once and have gone to Megans Bay and done the shopping thing. We want a really nice beach for snorkeling, some amenities would be nice too. Any ideas would be appreciated, our kids are 14 and 16.

Has anyone done the swimming with the turtles excursion?

You might want to try the excursion out of St. Thomas that you ride the underwater motor scooters. I can't think of the name of the excursion off hand but it's really different. The scooters have helmets attached that you put your head into. They do not close around your neck or head. It's like having your head in an air bubble. You mount the scooters from behnd and duck your head under the helmet and then come up into it. There is no problem breathing. Then the depth gauge is changed by the divers who accompany you the whole way in case there is a problem. Everyone follows in single file, then you return to the boat and dismount the scooter. My wife loved it. Enjoy your cruise.

Booked our first cruise for Aug 2012 9 night me, DH and 2 lil girls who at the time will be 6 and 3 years old we have room 9620 is this a good room? have no idea what excursions if any to do with the girls:confused: or where to go, also when should we start looking into booking a spa want to surprise DH with a message(sp) all sugestions appreciated TIA

If your cabin is a balcony as opposed to an inside one you will love it. It's really nice to be able to see where you are going and where you are leaving. It's also great just to be able to get fresh air anytime that you want and not have to get dressed to go up on one of the open decks. When you are in port you are able to see all the activity going on around the ship. Besides a camera with a decent zoom remember to pack a good pair of binoculars. They enable you to see ships on the horizen and things in the distance in the ports that you go to. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time on your first cruise. It won't be your last I assure you. P.S. Call it your cabin not your room, it's more sailorish, lol.

Do basic balcony cabins on deck 7 have flat screens at this point?

I know not every cabin has them yet, I'm just curious? I thought it was just the suites right now.

Doubt it.

Really not a lot to watch on TV, also so many other things to do.

Do basic balcony cabins on deck 7 have flat screens at this point?

I know not every cabin has them yet, I'm just curious? I thought it was just the suites right now.

We were on deck 9, and the JS had a flat screen, and the D1 did not.

Hi all....my DH and I will be sailing once again on EOS out of Cape Liberty....love this and can't wait, but this is the first time we are not sailing from a FL port. Over the weekend I was talking with a few folks who now have me worried...insisting that the seas are very rough....hurricane or not and that no sea sickness remedies helped them.

DH and I usually start taking Bonine two days before and then into the cruise and I have to say...I enjoy the lull of the ship...even when it's a bit more wavy.

But now these folks have me thinking.....and wanted to hear your experiences. Can it be that bad....and if so, why would so many people cruise from the US eastern ports? :rolleyes:

Over the weekend I was talking with a few folks who now have me worried...insisting that the seas are very rough....hurricane or not and that no sea sickness remedies helped them.

I'm the type of person who gets seasick watching a movie that has a boat being tossed around by rough seas. I was on the Explorer in May and only felt any sort of motion ONE night and after taking one bonine, I was completely fine.

I did notice that sometimes at dinner or in the theater, you could feel the ship moving a little more, but I've found that on almost all my cruises, whether in the Atlantic off the east coast, or in the caribbean.

The Explorer is a big ship and if you've been OK on other ships, you should be OK on this one too. That being said, the Atlantic does get more 'rough' seas than say, the water down by St. Thomas. As long as you are prepared (and it sounds like you are!) you should be fine.

I'm the type of person who gets seasick watching a movie that has a boat being tossed around by rough seas. I was on the Explorer in May and only felt any sort of motion ONE night and after taking one bonine, I was completely fine.

we went out of New York last Nov and it was smooth sailing, we went out of Fort Lauderdale several times during January and twice the water was so rough for a couple of days that my DH actually spent one evening in bed. So I guess you can get rough seas at any time and anywhere. We are going out of Bayonne in Jan 2012 and praying for smooth seas.

we went out of New York last Nov and it was smooth sailing, we went out of Fort Lauderdale several times during January and twice the water was so rough for a couple of days that my DH actually spent one evening in bed. So I guess you can get rough seas at any time and anywhere. We are going out of Bayonne in Jan 2012 and praying for smooth seas.

Thanks to you both....I kind of figured that....we'll be prepared and ready to see EOS again!