All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Will it be possible to make a 12:15 flight out of Newark on the day we return to Bayonne? Delta has just changed our flights home. We are diamond and hope we can get an early departure time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Will it be possible to make a 12:15 flight out of Newark on the day we return to Bayonne? Delta has just changed our flights home. We are diamond and hope we can get an early departure time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It should be fine. If you do early disembark and carry off your own luggage, you'll be walking off the ship about 8:30am.

Pardon my lack of cruise ship construction/power knowledge' date=' but what makes Explorer unsuitable for Late Autumn through Early Spring in Bayonne?[/quote']Some folks find that the cooler weather combined with no enclosed pool area make for unpleasant or wasted sea days. The first day and half going down the coast are great for inside activities but not so great for the pool and sun tanning. I only cruise in the cold weather months and enjoy the slow pace sea days myself.

Some folks find that the cooler weather combined with no enclosed pool area make for unpleasant or wasted sea days. The first day and half going down the coast are great for inside activities but not so great for the pool and sun tanning. I only cruise in the cold weather months and enjoy the slow pace sea days myself.

The same could be said for some sailings in Europe even before it is offically winter. It can be pretty cool out on the open decks when the ship is between ports to the point that you cannot comfortably sit outside never mind go into the pool. We've had some sailings where the wind cut across the bow of the ship at over 40 mph and there were signs posted on the doors to the decks not to go outside.

MARAPRINCE

I mean what makes our Winter weather (I'm from South Jersey) bad for the ship itself that it will likely be moving south in 2013. Sorry that I didn't make myself clear. :)

Not bad for the ship. Most people that cruise like warm / hot weather. They want to get on the ship, hit the pool, and begin tanning.

Ain't gonna happen first day on the EOS in Jan or Feb.

Not bad for the ship. Most people that cruise like warm / hot weather. They want to get on the ship, hit the pool, and begin tanning.

Ain't gonna happen first day on the EOS in Jan or Feb.

I thought I read on one of the threads that one of the reasons EoS was leaving Bayonne in April 2013 was because it wasn't as equipt to deal with Northeastern Winters and I was curious what was meant by that.

I thought I read on one of the threads that one of the reasons EoS was leaving Bayonne in April 2013 was because it wasn't as equipt to deal with Northeastern Winters and I was curious what was meant by that.

The ships been in Bayonne for at least 5 years, maybe even longer. I'm surprised they haven't moved her yet since they usually move ships around. I'm hoping a Freedom Class comes here.

The ships been in Bayonne for at least 5 years, maybe even longer. I'm surprised they haven't moved her yet since they usually move ships around. I'm hoping a Freedom Class comes here.

It'd be nice if RCI would sail out of Manhattan. I'm certainly not complaining about NJ (we are going on her over New Year's), but Manhattan is a much nicer port and more easily accessible for a larger amount of people.

I asked this before but did not get an answer. Hopefully you explorer experts can help me out. :)

How is the spa on the Explorer?

How are the massages?

Do they really try to sell you the products and put the "hard sell" on you?

Does the spa have the heated lounge chairs? If so, how much and how offten can you use them?

Any other info about the spa on the Explorer would be great.

TIA,

Loralie

It'd be nice if RCI would sail out of Manhattan. I'm certainly not complaining about NJ (we are going on her over New Year's), but Manhattan is a much nicer port and more easily accessible for a larger amount of people.

Seriously? I have to disagree. I would much rather sail out of NJ than Manhattan (and I have to drive right by the Manhattan port to get to Cape Liberty.)

The only thing I'll give you is that the physical structure of the port buildings in Manhattan is nicer. But as far as personnel, ease of check-in, all the things that really matter to me..I'll take NJ any day.

Come to think of it, my perception may be colored by the cruise lines I was sailing on. My 3 times out of NY was with Carnival and Norwegian. My 2 times out of NJ was with RCL.

We will be on the Explorer our first time 11-10-2011. I hear nothing but great things about her. Has anyone had any experience in or around cabin 8372 a D2. Thanking you in advance. :):)

Wally, You'll love the ship. The crew is what really sets this ship apart from the rest. They are the best on the water. I hear the folks cruising with you are kind of special too.

Wally, You'll love the ship. The crew is what really sets this ship apart from the rest. They are the best on the water. I hear the folks cruising with you are kind of special too.

That sounds true Thanks Ken, Terri & Wally can't wait happy to begin.:):):)

Edited by wallygator

Seriously? I have to disagree. I would much rather sail out of NJ than Manhattan (and I have to drive right by the Manhattan port to get to Cape Liberty.)

The only thing I'll give you is that the physical structure of the port buildings in Manhattan is nicer. But as far as personnel, ease of check-in, all the things that really matter to me..I'll take NJ any day.

Come to think of it, my perception may be colored by the cruise lines I was sailing on. My 3 times out of NY was with Carnival and Norwegian. My 2 times out of NJ was with RCL.

I'm glad to here you like NJ--I only sailed out of Manhattan once, and this will be my first time out of NJ. I heard some not-so-flattering things about NJ, but it sounds like you had a contrary experience, which makes me feel better.

I'm glad to here you like NJ--I only sailed out of Manhattan once, and this will be my first time out of NJ. I heard some not-so-flattering things about NJ, but it sounds like you had a contrary experience, which makes me feel better.

The port might not be pretty but the check in is fast and easy!

We have cruised in and out of Cape Liberty several times never a problem. Not the same view of Lady Liberty out of NJ as NY but we know she’s there smiling at us all. She even winks at the gator:):)

That sounds true Thanks Ken, Terri & Wally can't wait happy to begin.:):):)
Join your Cruise Critic group. They seem to be very active, you can go to a free party for that group only, attend the activities they plan that sound interesting to you and don't to those that seem less interesting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1199751

Wally - the only thing I can say about 8372 is that it's pretty far aft - you will get a chance to walk off calories.

Mets550 - I like Cape Liberty, but you have to arrive with a good mindset. The port is definitely not pretty, but it can be interesting. You get a fabulous view of the ship when you arrive because the terminal building is separate. You can look at the SOL all afternoon and you can watch the non-stop NY harbor traffic - bring binoculars. Bring your patience as well (and something to do) - sometimes the traffic is backed up into the port and sometimes not. Sometimes you have to wait to board and sometimes not. You will have to take a short bus ride across the "tarmac" to the ship. So if you've been reading about Cape Liberty, there should be no surprises.

Edited by 138east
clarity

We had an 11:30 departure from our New England sailing and made it to the airport without a problem. The first day we asked for self-disembarkation. It was a little challenging because my husband and I are both over packers. The difficult part is the shuttle bus that you have to ride from the cruise ship to the area where the taxis/shuttle buses are located. We disembarked about 8:15, however, when we called Independent Driver (who we had scheduled for pickup/delivery to the airport), their phone lines were down. Fearful that we wouldn't be able to reach them, we took one of the shuttles available at the dock and for $17 a person we had no problems.

Guest maddycat

Manhattan is NOT a much nicer port. The traffic in the pier area is a nightmare. It's a hassle dropping off luggage and then parking your car. The parking is $30 a day compared to $19 at Cape Liberty.

The only plus to sailing out of NYC is that there isn't a dockyard at the cruise port. No ships are being painted while you are cruising. There aren't any worries about paint overspray and damaged cars when you return from your cruise.

We love NYC and, yes, leaving out of Manhattan gives us the option of 3 day pre-cruise enjoying the food, Broadway & doing the tourist thing in general. When we've sailed out of New Jersey, we stayed at the Hilton Gateway and took the train to Penn Station. It's just not the same as being in the heart of the action.