Has anyone every arranged this for a M&G???

cod

Yes, I could call NCL and ask but hopefully someone will see this who knows! Plus, I can be letting folks know of an option I wasn't aware of.

I just read a Carnival Glory review that mentioned having a open bar and dry smacks at their 1 and a 1/2 hour M&G. Curious about the price, I went to that sailings Roll Call and found out they paid $16.80pp for what sounds like the Captains or a Latitudes gathering on an NCL sailing....waiters walking around with trays of wine and different drinks and beer on request.

It sounds like a neat idea to me and something to consider for a future NCL M&G if something similar is available.

In 2007, a cruise critic member did put up a spread of food and paid for it but I believe the drinks were the standard non-alcoholic kind. It was very well laid out and in the Star Bar. It was quite packed in there but I do remember she mentioned she paid for it. The rest of the cruise she pretty much had her booze paid for (she hardly drank) as the rest of us gave her a drink whenever we saw her. It can be done. Contact the group service coordinator for the ship you are sailing on and inquire about it and try and be as detailed in the first request as possible. (The group coordinators are quite busy people!) :)

Thanks, I now know who to ask. I've been on lots of cruises and to quite a few M&Gs but never one where an 'open-bar' in a lounge area had been prearranged....and for what I consider (by what CCL Glory attendees paid) a nominal charge for 90 minutes of wine, mixed drinks, beer and snacks.

This is definately food-for-thought for any future cruise with a good group who are active on that cruises Roll Call.

I just read a Carnival Glory review that mentioned having a open bar and dry smacks at their 1 and a 1/2 hour M&G. Curious about the price, I went to that sailings Roll Call and found out they paid $16.80pp for what sounds like the Captains or a Latitudes gathering on an NCL sailing....waiters walking around with trays of wine and different drinks and beer on request.

It sounds like a neat idea to me and something to consider for a future NCL M&G if something similar is available.

That does sound like a fun idea - especially if you have an active roll call

Yeah I've done that before. I think the dry "smacks" sounded like fun though.:rolleyes:

All I can say is.........kinky? :rolleyes: LOL

Yes, smacks AND drinks, who could ask for more.

It's evident that I'd better start rereading what I type a little closer. You cruisecritic proof readers are killing me!!!

They have group cocktail party options for all NCL ships. I will look on the website and see if I can find a link. They are per person per hour. Somebody is going to have to pick up the full tab and hopefully collect from each CC member even if they don't show up. :eek:

Hi timet2cruise1, what you describe sounds like what I read were the rules on the Glory. The organizer was collecting from everyone herself as it had to be paid in full to someone on the ship prior to the event and the fee could not be charged to anyones S&S card. Unless it was a long-running Roll Call with people I felt I'd come to know and trust just from postings, the organizer would be taking a lot on his/herself.

I still think it sounds like a good deal and well worth the effort if everyone cooperates.

Now. Let me check my spelling.....lol

Another possibility that worked for our M&G in South America last year is to ask them to have a bartender in the bar during the M&G. That way no one has to come up with the money ahead of time but everyone can order whatever they want.

NCL usually provides pastries, coffee, and juice. That is more than enough for an hour.

Especially since NCL's meet and greet is usually held on the morning of the first sea day. I appreciate the fact that most of the ship's senior staff show up to answer our questions and address any problems we may have. Some cruise lines do not pareticipate at all and tell you to arrange your own meet and greet.

I arranged our M&G on the Sun and our's was at 10 am on the first sea day. After a rough night, I'd say half of our group didn't make it due to seasickness. In fact, this was my first and only time seasick in 8 cruises and many boat rides.

What if some want to attend the M&G but don't drink? Do they get a pass?

It is doable, but you might have to collect up front or be prepared to absorb some of the cost.

If you want to drink, just organize a pre-meet and greet at a bar. It does make it much more comfortable to talk to strangers. I have organized and attended many of these.

Best one was in Sydney the night before the cruise. We had planned to meet at the roof-top bar at the Holiday Inn hotel just across from the port. It started raining hard just before but we all seemed to figure that out and met up in the lobby bar.

Have also attended many sail-away events at a specific outdoor bar.

I agree with everyone but for a couple of points.

The Glory M&G was in the afternoon so I don't think having a morning M&G is written in stone anywhere. Of course no one wants to start drinking at 10:00AM!! Also, not too interested in the usual M&G fare right after breakfast either.

Yes, everyone can arrange to meet at a bar but I think I'd likely spend more than $16.80 in 90 minutes. Plus a bar is not like having a lounge open just for your group.

Well, you'd have to take a Roll Call vote to see how many are interested and go from there. If everyone is gung-ho, the few who aren't would have to do something on their own!

And yes, the arranger would have to plan way ahead and would be taking a lot on his/herself. Looking a the Glory list of participants, most were marked as 'paid' prior to sailing so I guess folks mailed checks in advance. To those few that hadn't, cash was to be paid the 'morning-of'. The Arranger of course was doing all the collecting.

In reading the cruise review, it sounds like it turned out well and a good time was had by all.

In closing, this is NOT for every Roll Call group. BUT if you have a very active and busy (many person) group who seem to get along and see eye-to-eye on things for maybe months in advance, it seems like it would be doable and lots of fun.

I'm changing the subject for a moment because I heard something on CNN news this morning that is very scary. And, yes, worse things are happening in the world today but this really had me wondering. Two World War II veterans were talking about D-day. As the conversation went on, one said he went to speak to a class once and the TEACHER introduced him as a World War eleven veteran. GHU!

If you want to drink, just organize a pre-meet and greet at a bar. It does make it much more comfortable to talk to strangers. I have organized and attended many of these.

Best one was in Sydney the night before the cruise. We had planned to meet at the roof-top bar at the Holiday Inn hotel just across from the port. It started raining hard just before but we all seemed to figure that out and met up in the lobby bar.

Have also attended many sail-away events at a specific outdoor bar.

Yeah, Monica, that was fun, wasn't it?

--Michael

Suggestion - If you were to do a pre-paid M&G then you may want to set up a pay-pal account to collect the funds prior to the cruise.

What is it that you are paying for?.....**EDIT***** Never mind, I see now. I did not read far enough back.

Back to the regular scheduled programing.... LOL

Yes, I could call NCL and ask but hopefully someone will see this who knows! Plus, I can be letting folks know of an option I wasn't aware of.

I haven't heard about it but sure sounds like a might work plan. The most important thing would be to get a head count with deposits of some kind.

nita

Suggestion - If you were to do a pre-paid M&G then you may want to set up a pay-pal account to collect the funds prior to the cruise.

Well that sounds like a very good idea for the poster who is trying to set up the open bar M&G. But I for one would not be sending off any money to someone who I didn't know, who may or may not even be on my cruise. Because someone joins CC and a roll call does not guarantee they are on the level. (not saying OP you are not legit, I just would have no way of knowing that)

Since NCL already offers non-alcohol refreshments and goodies. If the majority of your roll call wishes to have the M&G with alcohol available, I'm with the posters that suggest having the opportunity for the pax in the roll call to buy liquor. Just ask whoever looks after getting the venue etc on NCL if it would be possible to have it in or near bar where they are serving alcohol.

The idea is a very nice thought, but if you think of your typical dependablily of a M&G. You may have 40 sign up on CC and only 30 attend, you would run quite the risk of many saying "this is an excellent idea, I'm in" and not show up, not pay, not pay but partake in the free drink. Are you going to have the ones that pay wear some sort of tag around their neck to differenciate between those that can get a free drink and those that can't. Or are you just going to charge everyone that come in the set amount (for example the $17/pp below). Is that not elimating those that go to roll calls and don't drink, so really don't want the extra $17pp expense on their cruise.

Well, I'm NOT doing it and it's probably a rare RC that would present this opportunity. It would have be a long standing RC for a group of like-thinking people.

As for a 'scam', I can't see a person posting for months/weeks on a RC for the purpose of hoping a group of people send him $16.80 each. And I guess if you are really worried, you can call NCL and speak to someone to verify it!

There wouldn't be any crashers because the rules are all very clear. You must have paid in advance or you can't come in! No collecting at the door!

Well, I'm NOT doing it and it's probably a rare RC that would present this opportunity. It would have be a long standing RC for a group of like-thinking people.

As for a 'scam', I can't see a person posting for months/weeks on a RC for the purpose of hoping a group of people send him $16.80 each. And I guess if you are really worried, you can call NCL and speak to someone to verify it!

There wouldn't be any crashers because the rules are all very clear. You must have paid in advance or you can't come in! No collecting at the door!

If I've offended you that wasn't my intention, I made it very clear my comment was in general and not to you or anyone in particular. Quoted "not saying OP you are not legit"

I also didn't realize you were speaking about a private party. Since CC in no way eliminates anyone from joining the roll calls. and NCL, as far as I know, does not host a "cruise critic meet & greet" with stipulations that only those that pay money extra can attend. A lot of meet and greets branch off to other things like slot pulls that you can join in on if you are willing to pay the cost. But the initial meet and greet costs nothing.

From most accounts on here NCL is very cooperative and helpful in accommodating CC meet and greets, they realize CC has a large following and it's good PR. But if they started getting a lot of complaints from those that were not allowed to join because they were not willing to fork over money, you can bet NCL would not be as gracious because the PR would not be coming in on a positive note.

I was not offended. Just repeating myself. And, yes. M&G are 'free' but not a prearrange lounge party that includes 90 minutes of bar service.

One last thought. Why would anyone complain about not being able to join in? Everyone on the roll call knew the rules and had the oportunity to sign up if they wanted to. And if they didn't want to, that's fine too.

Are you talking about just 'passers-by'? I've seen lots of private parties on ships that I neither could, nor wanted to, attend. I don't understand the bad 'PR' comment.

It's raining in MS....yes!!

I don't think this would be a good idea as I always thought the purpose of the Cruise Critic Meet and Greets was to provide the opportunity for everyone on your roll call to attend to meet each other and maybe some of the staff of the ship. And it wouldn't be right if you limit to just those willing to pay for drinks as not everyone drinks alcohol. I feel the minute you start having to pay then it becomes a roll call private party and not a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. And aren't the Meet and Greet times usually set by the person on board arranging the time and place? I don't think I've ever attended a meet and greet on NCL that wasn't in the morning.

If this was ever the case on a roll call of mine, I guess I wouldn't attend as I wouldn't pay to go.

Archived