Confused about the amount RCCL gave me for pre-pay tips

I'm a little confused, when I spoke with RCCL a few weeks ago they told me the recommended tips per day were $81.55 per person, per day (we're not in a suite). For our family of 4 this would total $326.20 for the 7 days. I looked on the RCCL website and based on what's listed for their recommendations is would be $68.25/pp per day for a total of $273. Can anyone tell me which one we should plan for?

I'm a little confused, when I spoke with RCCL a few weeks ago they told me the recommended tips per day were $81.55 per person, per day (we're not in a suite). For our family of 4 this would total $326.20 for the 7 days. I looked on the RCCL website and based on what's listed for their recommendations is would be $68.25/pp per day for a total of $273. Can anyone tell me which one we should plan for?

Looks like their website hasn't been officially updated yet.

Effective July 1, 2011 the recommended gratuities have increased to $11.65 pp per day for those booked in cabins up to and including JS. $13.90 for guests booked in GS and above cabins.

This is broken down as follows........

$5.00 - Housekeeping Staff ($7.25 for GS and above)

$3.75 - Waiter

$2.15 - Assistant Waiter

$0.75 - Head Waiter

$11.65 - per person per day ($13.90 for GS and above)

the $68.25 is just for your cabin attendant, waiter, and assistant waiter. If you have prepaid tips, RCL also includes a tip for the head waiter.

As others have said, the new recommended gratuity rates for prepaid tips are 11.55 pp per day.

The new rates if you tip yourself:

waiter $3.75 per day, the assistant waiter $2.15

and the head waiter 75 cents

cabin attendant $5 pp daily

I hadn't looked at the new rates closely. However, it seems they are recommending more for the cabin attendant and very little increase for the waiter and assistant waiter. Wonder why? Before it seems waiter and cabin steward received the same.

I think they are charging more for the cabin attendant because recently they implemented a new system for the cabin attendants where the cabin attendant is given more rooms to clean and the "option" of the cabin attendant himself paying for an assistant to help clean the rooms.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I think they are charging more for the cabin attendant because recently they implemented a new system for the cabin attendants where the cabin attendant is given more rooms to clean and the "option" of the cabin attendant himself paying for an assistant to help clean the rooms.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I have a feeling you are correct since I believe Royal Caribbean refers to it as a Housekeeping tip and not a cabin attendant/steward tip, which implies that a portion (likely the old amount) goes to the cabin steward and the rest (or part of) going to an assistant and perhaps a small portion (similar to what is given to the Head Waiter) going to the Housekeeping supervisor (if I recall correctly Celebrity includes or used to include that in their tip structure).

I have pre-paid my tips for a September cruise. Will have to pay the difference?

I'm curious about this too. I have (nearly) paid for my cruise we're taking in December (doing MTD so we're pre-paying tips) and the amount on the reservation e-invoice is $209.70 for our 9-night cruise (which seems even less than the amount for the updated gratuities structure and the total is for both of us).

I did just check out the RC website and found this:

"I booked my cruise before this adjustment. Do the new guidelines apply to my cruise?

Royal Caribbean will not change the gratuities for any bookings that set sail before July 1, 2011.

Pre-existing bookings for sail dates on or after July 1, 2011 will not have increased gratuity guidelines as long as they meet at least one of the following requirements:

The booking shows that prepaid gratuities were selected before 12:01 a.m. U.S. Eastern time on 12/11/10

The booking shows that My Time Dining was selected before 12:01 a.m. U.S. Eastern time on 12/11/10"

It does seem like we'll have to pay the difference unless we opted for pre-paid gratuities/MTD before December 11, 2010 on a cruise sailing on or after July 2011. :( I don't know when we'll have to pay the difference. I didn't book through the ship but rather used an online mainstream TA. :confused:

I have pre-paid my tips for a September cruise. Will have to pay the difference?

For all those that booked cruises in 2010 that departed on or after July 1, 2011, they were given the option to add pre-paid gratuities to their bookings at the lower rates by 12:01AM US EST on 12/11/2010.

Cruises booked after 12/11/2010 and departing on or after July 1, 2011 will have the higher amount added to their bookings if they are doing pre-paid gratuities.

The recommended higher amount will apply to everyone that does not opt for pre-paid gratuities.

I'm curious about this too. I have (nearly) paid for my cruise we're taking in December (doing MTD so we're pre-paying tips) and the amount on the reservation e-invoice is $209.70 for our 9-night cruise (which seems even less than the amount for the updated gratuities structure and the total is for both of us).

"I booked my cruise before this adjustment. Do the new guidelines apply to my cruise?

Royal Caribbean will not change the gratuities for any bookings that set sail before July 1, 2011.

Pre-existing bookings for sail dates on or after July 1, 2011 will not have increased gratuity guidelines as long as they meet at least one of the following requirements:

The booking shows that prepaid gratuities were selected before 12:01 a.m. U.S. Eastern time on 12/11/10

The booking shows that My Time Dining was selected before 12:01 a.m. U.S. Eastern time on 12/11/10"

It does seem like we'll have to pay the difference unless we opted for pre-paid gratuities/MTD before December 11, 2010 on a cruise sailing on or after July 2011. :( I don't know when we'll have to pay the difference. I didn't book through the ship but rather used an online mainstream TA. :confused:

Crazy! We won't be charged the difference because we booked on board before Dec 10 2010, but I wouldn't dream of not PAYING the difference...that would seem like I was shorting the folks who are helping us out on the cruise. We always give extra for good service anyway, but it does make me want to do it at the start of the cruise so the staff working with us knows they will not get shorted!

Crazy! We won't be charged the difference because we booked on board before Dec 10 2010, but I wouldn't dream of not PAYING the difference...that would seem like I was shorting the folks who are helping us out on the cruise. We always give extra for good service anyway, but it does make me want to do it at the start of the cruise so the staff working with us knows they will not get shorted!

I'm in the same situation. I did not know of this rule and prepaid my tips last week. I was quoted and paid the new amount. I thought about calling to correct it but then thought WHY? I want to fully reward that wonderful staff who make my cruise so pleasurable.

Kathy

This amount is correct $11.65*9*2=$209.70 try it on any calculator.:rolleyes:

We use to like pre-paying tips, but noticed that for RCI if you prepay there is no way to just prepay the cabin attendant. We don't use the dining room so why should I prepay waiters?

The same waiters that serve you in the MDR for dinner are also working in the WJ during the day for breakfast and lunch.

Unless you eat in one of the Specialty Restaurants every evening, then you have a valid point.

We use to like pre-paying tips, but noticed that for RCI if you prepay there is no way to just prepay the cabin attendant. We don't use the dining room so why should I prepay waiters?

The waiters from the MDR work in other areas of the ship for breakfast and lunch. You probably will benefit from their service sometime during each day.

I think that we qualified for the exception and then fell out of it after the fact. But, our travel agent took care of us in the end.

We booked our upcoming September cruise on the Allure while we were onboard the Liberty back in September 2010. (selecting my time dining with pre-paying gratuities) A couple months ago, we switched our reservation over to our travel agent to take advantage of an onboard credit that was being offered by the travel agency. By that time, I guess that the gratuities rate had changed, so our updated reservation (adding the travel agent only, but otherwise remaining the same) reflected the increased gratuities. Our travel agent gave us an additional onboard credit to cover the increased gratuities.

I think that we qualified for the exception and then fell out of it after the fact. But, our travel agent took care of us in the end.

We booked our upcoming September cruise on the Allure while we were onboard the Liberty back in September 2010. (selecting my time dining with pre-paying gratuities) A couple months ago, we switched our reservation over to our travel agent to take advantage of an onboard credit that was being offered by the travel agency. By that time, I guess that the gratuities rate had changed, so our updated reservation (adding the travel agent only, but otherwise remaining the same) reflected the increased gratuities. Our travel agent gave us an additional onboard credit to cover the increased gratuities.

The increase in price for gratuities does not go into effect until July 1, 2011 and it will affect all cruises booked before/on/after December 11, 2010.........unless gratuities were paid prior to 12:01 AM December 11,2010.

If you booked your cruise in September and signed up for MTD, then your gratuities were already added into your figure that will be due at final payment. That figure should not have changed when you transferred it over to your TA.

This is from the RCI website: "The booking shows that My Time Dining was selected before 12:01 a.m. U.S. Eastern time on 12/11/10".

Archived