Delayed Luggage: Another Reason to Fly Day Before Cruise!

bqkali

Just wanted to share my recent experience with delayed luggage as a reminder to everyone that there are MANY reasons to fly in the day before a cruise. We had a suitcase that took a little side-trip to MSP before making it home ;)

We flew JFK-RIC on a smaller plane that does not have full-size overhead storage. Therefore, we left our bags planeside at JFK, to be picked up on the bridgeway upon arrival at RIC. We've done this numerous times, and have never had issues.

To make a long story short, two other passengers got on our flight instead of the flight they were looking for (JFK-MSP) and when they realized their mistake, I'm guessing they incorrectly grabbed "their" suitcases from planeside in order to take them to their correct flight...and in the process, took our black roll-aboard (as well as another passenger's) to MSP, leaving the 2 suitcases that were actually theirs to fly to RIC with us.

Luckily, we had enough identifying information and clues to the puzzle that Delta was able to get our suitcase to us quickly (about 18 hours). We essentially only had dirty laundry in that bag, so this was not that much of an inconvenience, but it could have just as easily happened on our trip at the beginning of vacation...leaving us stranded without clothes or other items for the first day or two of a trip. And if you were leaving on a cruise that afternoon - it could be days before you made it to port and could have your luggage returned to you. Not too much fun to rewear the same outfit for a day or two, or end up wearing t-shirts from the onboard gift shop. Luckily, we had our valuables (okay, not too valuable - just an iPod and such that could easily be replaced if absolutely necessary) and personal items (medication) on our person rather than in our "carry-on" suitcase...but it is easy to think that putting these types of items in a carry-on makes them safe, when in reality, they are potentially just as far out of your control as a piece of more typically checked baggage.

A good reminder for us all to fly in a day early before the cruise, regardless of how short the flight is and how little luggage you are traveling with.

This is a good point. We had a similar situation involving the second leg of a trip on a small commuter aircraft out of Seattle to Vancouver.

When we arrived at Vancouver, we were short two pieces of luggage. The airline rep checked with Seattle and advised that our bags would be on the next flight in about 2 hours. She explained that the small aircraft could not accomodate all the luggage due to so many cruise passengers flying in that day.

Well, we waited at the airport and the bags were not on that flight. The airline rep checked again and told us that the airline could not promise a given time that our bags would arrive! We gave the rep our hotel information and went to our hotel.

At about 2AM in the morning, our room phone rang. It was the Bell Desk advising that our luggage had finally arrived. If we had not flown in the day before, we would have had to wait until our first port, two days later to receive our luggage. The lesson has never been lost with us after that experience. Things happen and Fagan's Theorem says that Murphy was an optimist. :)

There are so many reasons to fly in early from missed luggage to getting over jet lag to not missing the ship. All it takes is for things to go wrong one time and I hear from people the same thing. "I should have flown in early." "I'll never fly in the day of the cruise again."

Keith

If we had not flown in the day before, we would have had to wait until our first port, two days later to receive our luggage. :)

No guarantee you would have gotten your luggage at the first port. I know someone who had flight issues while flying to Spain for a Med cruise a few years ago. His luggage never caught up with him; it didn't get to the first port of call until the ship was on the way to the next port, and so on. Didn't get his bag back til well after the cruise was over and he was back home.

waterbug: I agree! I should have written that "at best" we would have gotten our luggage the 2nd day and "at worst", not at all.

I figured you probably knew that. I just thought a little clarification wouldn't hurt, in case someone else read that and thought "oh well, worst case scenario is we'd have to wait a day for our luggage to catch up," assuming that would just automatically happen! :)

At about 2AM in the morning, our room phone rang. It was the Bell Desk advising that our luggage had finally arrived. If we had not flown in the day before, we would have had to wait until our first port, two days later to receive our luggage. The lesson has never been lost with us after that experience. Things happen and Fagan's Theorem says that Murphy was an optimist. :)[/COLOR]

I knew the theorem but had forgotten the author, thanks for reminding me. My beard has been white for a long time since I learned that was written in stone! ;)

We were on day 2 of a cruise on the North Atlantic following the route of the Titanic on 9/11/01. That evening several people in rumpled clothes and looking VERY tired were at the next table. Seems their flight into Chicago was delayed so they missed the 1 flight per day to London. They flew from London to Paris and took a van to the port, arriving late the second day.

NONE of their luggage made it! :eek: After a long time in the Paris airport, they were told it was in Chicago, and no planes were flying in the U.S. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Another reason, besides the ones listed above, to fly in a day early, (or more), is to enjoy the departure city! Usually we cruise from European cities, and always fly in three or four nights ahead to get in some more of the local sights. Have to admit though, the initial reason when we started cruising was to make sure our luggage boarded the ship when we did!

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Another reason, besides the ones listed above, to fly in a day early, (or more), is to enjoy the departure city! Usually we cruise from European cities, and always fly in three or four nights ahead to get in some more of the local sights. Have to admit though, the initial reason when we started cruising was to make sure our luggage boarded the ship when we did!

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Absolutely.

When we fly internationally there are so many benefits to flying in early including visiting the area where the cruise begins, not taking chances on missing the ship with flight delays and cancellation. On top of this it does provide more time in the event your luggage goes astray and another big advantage is getting over the jet lag.

I have met people on cruises who flew in the day of the cruise and the first two or three days they are way off schedule. I have seen people just about falling asleep at dinner.

When newbies ask about itineraries such as in Europe I always tell them for each itinerary consider the east of getting to and from the ports of embarkation and disembarkation via flights and also suggest that they pick a port of embarkation where they may want to spend a few days pre-cruise to see the immediate area or some other area within the region.

Keith

Archived