*** The ALL NEW RCI Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

If you figure it out....landing fees, fuel, labor, homeland security fees, etc (I would add in profit, but that word is no longer used in the airline industry)....It would cost more, round trip, to connect to a flight out of Bush to Galveston than to take a shuttle.

Plus you need to add the time it takes to check in (no security since you arrived on a flight) wait, board, taxi, short flight..probably 30 min since they would still have to clear Bush air traffic control, gain altitude, descend, line up, land, then wait for luggage then pay for a taxi to the ship.

For example...land, get on Galveston limo...9o minutes later your are there....same amount of time, probably same of a little less money.

Everyone gripes about transfers in Galveston..but how about NYC, Central Fla, etc....only FLL has the quickly transfer. And compare parking costs at places like NYC or MIA....and Galveston looks pretty darn good. Nope, I was not paid by the Galveston Chamber of Commerce.

What about the turbo prop puddle jumpers. Back in the 70's I flew in and out of Kilgore in those. Probably held 20 people or so and had connections with other small cities in Texas at least.

Quite a few years ago, Continental had a shuttle from Ellington Field to the big airport FREE! Actually cheaper than free one guy told me while waiting for his flight. He was hooking up with some fellow business travelers at IAH going on to wherever it was they were going on the same flight. His flight was cheaper!

Ten minutes from my door, free parking for however long you wanted, quick check in, quick baggage claim. Really good on international flights since they didn't even open the desk until 45 minutes before flights. Check the baggage at Ellington, pick it up in Europe, etc.

Admittedly some of the flights were an "E ticket ride" but it was sure was nice while it lasted. They closed it down before 9/11 so bumped up security was not the reason.

We did a partial Panama Canal cruise, sorta. The ship docked at San Cristobal (????) and then we took ship's excursion on a local boat to the Lake and return. I remember it was pricey but we enjoyed seeing the locks down close. Later we did a full transit which I didn't find near as interesting. Do the "little" boats have to pay those kinda fees that would make it cost prohibitive to sell tours?

Tucker in Texas

Hertz and Enterprise have tried it, but for whatever reasons it hasn't worked. I think that they weren't staffing for Sundays which was a big problem.

Yer preaching to the choir!!:)

If you golf, take your clubs and play White Witch in Mo Bay!!

http://www.whitewitchgolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=647&page=35326

Been there--absolutely fantastic course!!

without even getting into the details...He said it was "cheaper" thsu the reason so may regionals have disappeared. The negotiated joint fares provided so little revenue, thus forcing the little guy into a mode of needed to be acquired.....many years ago, that is where American Eagle began...AA bought up a bunch of little regionals.

To this day, air fares are still not logical....there are some flights, let's say to LAX, if you buy a ticket, DFW-LAX-DFW, you pay more than a ticket from San Antonio to LAX that connects through DFW. go figure....extra fuel, extra baggage handling (from the SAT flight to the DFW flight, and back again), the extra landing fees, etc).

Just as illogical is why is I-45 only 70 mph, Dallas to Houston, while more populated areas between San Antonio and Ft Worth are at the new 75 mph in multiple areas?

PS I actually saw someone only doing 70 on I45 once! But don't get me started on a certain gender that drives 65 pmh in the LEFT lane all the way from Dallas to Houston...while on the cell phone and applying makeup.

Quite a few years ago, Continental had a shuttle from Ellington Field to the big airport FREE! Actually cheaper than free one guy told me while waiting for his flight. He was hooking up with some fellow business travelers at IAH going on to wherever it was they were going on the same flight. His flight was cheaper!

Ten minutes from my door, free parking for however long you wanted, quick check in, quick baggage claim. Really good on international flights since they didn't even open the desk until 45 minutes before flights. Check the baggage at Ellington, pick it up in Europe, etc.

Admittedly some of the flights were an "E ticket ride" but it was sure was nice while it lasted. They closed it down before 9/11 so bumped up security was not the reason.

That was back in the days when I did a lot of business travel and used the Ellington shuttle on a regular basis. Even closer for me was when they had a Clear Lake shuttle flight. That approach usually had the wheels almost touching the roof of the Randall's (now Food Town) super market. I think that strip is now a used car lot.

I remember those flights. I live about two miles from Ellington so anytime I flew Continental it was so easy to park for free at Ellington and not worry about traffic, parking, etc. If you weren't flying Continental it was around $100 or so round trip. I traveled to the UK a lot during the 90s and wasn't fond of Continental's Transatlantic service so I'd fly BA and pay the extra for the convenience of the shuttle.

I also remember Metro Airlines which flew out of Clear Lake City. I flew them a few times to and from IAH in the early 80s. If you know where to look you can still see a bit of their runway off of Highway 3 behind whatever business is there now.

without even getting into the details...He said it was "cheaper" thsu the reason so may regionals have disappeared. The negotiated joint fares provided so little revenue, thus forcing the little guy into a mode of needed to be acquired.....many years ago, that is where American Eagle began...AA bought up a bunch of little regionals.

To this day, air fares are still not logical....there are some flights, let's say to LAX, if you buy a ticket, DFW-LAX-DFW, you pay more than a ticket from San Antonio to LAX that connects through DFW. go figure....extra fuel, extra baggage handling (from the SAT flight to the DFW flight, and back again), the extra landing fees, etc).

Just as illogical is why is I-45 only 70 mph, Dallas to Houston, while more populated areas between San Antonio and Ft Worth are at the new 75 mph in multiple areas?

PS I actually saw someone only doing 70 on I45 once! But don't get me started on a certain gender that drives 65 pmh in the LEFT lane all the way from Dallas to Houston...while on the cell phone and applying makeup.

Lol

For me it was what states plates were on slow left lane drivers yesterday. I saw outside of Waller county its now 75mph.

Some intl flights lots cheaper from Austin than Houston. Some come thru Houston others just connecting in same spot in left coast intl airports.

I remember those flights. I live about two miles from Ellington so anytime I flew Continental it was so easy to park for free at Ellington and not worry about traffic, parking, etc. If you weren't flying Continental it was around $100 or so round trip. I traveled to the UK a lot during the 90s and wasn't fond of Continental's Transatlantic service so I'd fly BA and pay the extra for the convenience of the shuttle.

I also remember Metro Airlines which flew out of Clear Lake City. I flew them a few times to and from IAH in the early 80s. If you know where to look you can still see a bit of their runway off of Highway 3 behind whatever business is there now.

Think way back they even had the helicopter service from Hilton Westchase to IAH. Never took it but they had it.

Hello All,

We made it back home a little while ago and I wanted to pop in and say that we had a great cruise. We had rain and clouds except for the last sea day, but we made the best of it and still managed to get a little color.

7388 had an amazing balcony. The ship is beautiful. I loved the art work in the stairwells and hallways. Keiron is an amazing cruise director. A gentleman fell on the pool deck and had to be taken off ship in Belize. We watched our ship lower life boats to go assist the Allure in their rescue efforts in Cozumel. We met some amazing people and the service was great. I will post more soon with pics.

R

Something wrong with this picture:eek:

In my living room; announcements and muster just called from the Mariner.

Why am I NOT on the ship:mad:

The disadvantage of living so near the port!

I'm not sure I could stand that! You know that little three bell sound ships use before an announcement? DH says I get a glazed look and drift to a happier place when I hear that!:rolleyes:

We can hear everything.

The Magic is blowing her horn now.

We are about 20 blocks to the port.

With a north wind we hear all the announcements quite clearly.

If only I got dw working at UTMB, we would possibly relo main residence to island or Tiki with townhouse up here.

Mariner got off nice and early!:D

I think something might have happened on the Magic...there are blue emergency lights flashing on the dock, and the ship is still tied up.:(

There is either the Pilot or a tug tied up to her stern?????

I have never seen a boat back out of the Port area before - is that a first?

Nope, it happens a lot. When they are coming in they turn around and back up to dock the ship. If it's windy and they didn't make the turn in the a.m., they'll back up and turn around then head out.

You know that little three bell sound ships use before an announcement? DH says I get a glazed look and drift to a happier place when I hear that!:rolleyes:

That is my text alert!:D I love it when anyone sends me a text...I am soooo back on the ship!

We would love to have you here:D

Only problem is wanting to be on each and every sailing:eek:

We were discussing it Friday night...if we did per my plan we would homestead there. We would have a townhouse/apartment/condo or something like that probably really near DDs school at least for the next couple years...and DD and I would probably get up super early on Monday come up drop her at school get working for the week and go down one night during the week....DW would come up to see us one other night in the week, so we woudl be 2 nights apart and the rest together. If DW could have some flexible scheduling she would probably come back up for Friday afternoon/night at Houston with DD and I'd go do a night at the ranch so I had some work time on Friday and Saturday morning then driving back to Galveston for dinner on Saturday.

Could be we would will just get a condo down in Galveston is a job comes up there...where she would go down on Monday and back on Friday night...we may go down one night in the week and then on Saturday....

One family friend here is a RE Agent and has a condo there so knows the Galveston condo market well...her place is right near the strand which may be a good location...

We did the same Dave.

DH and I knew we wanted to be on the island, but where? We rented an apt. and started looking. We know every street and alley on the island:)

We ended up with a former BIL's house - I hated it:mad:, but the price was right. It needed a lot of work - 9 months worth, but with the apt., we had a place to stay when we came from Houston.

Fast forward to not boor everyone. DH moved his practice here and I retired 4 years ago ( not really). Sold the house in Houston ,have bought and sold 5 homes here, live in an 1860 fabulous house and, the first (hated) one, is now a resort rental.

We did the same Dave.

DH and I knew we wanted to be on the island, but where? We rented an apt. and started looking. We know every street and alley on the island:)

We ended up with a former BIL's house - I hated it:mad:, but the price was right. It needed a lot of work - 9 months worth, but with the apt., we had a place to stay when we came from Houston.

Fast forward to not boor everyone. DH moved his practice here and I retired 4 years ago ( not really). Sold the house in Houston ,have bought and sold 5 homes here, live in an 1860 fabulous house and, the first (hated) one, is now a resort rental.

I would assume that that house has shown on the tour? A lot of those homes had built in cisterns for rain water. Built out of cypress, they can last forever. Most cruisers don't realize that Galveston has about the finest collection of Iron facade and Victorian wood framed architecture in the US.

You must be in one of the oldest homes on the island. As I believe that the homes older than that, Aston Villa, Menard etc are museums!!:)

I had a beach home down in Pirates for a number of years, it taught me that I'll never have a wood frame again as the maintenance is constant.

It also taught me how to evacuate!!:mad:

Archived