Celebrity Cruises - Singles Need Not Apply

robsvacation

Kinda disappointed with Celeb

Been wanting to try Celebrity for a while and had my TA price out Horizon's repositioning cruise for a single cabin. Guess what, the best rate for a single occ cabin is $80 higher (ie: Single cabin with all taxes $887, TOTAL price for BOTH people in a double cabin including all taxes: $797) The disparity is worse for outsides. This is because the "Guarantee" category is not open to singles but heck, you'd think when the TA mentioned this Celeb they would be accomondating. But no, the rates are what the rates are, no flexibility. Why should I book an assigned cabin on the lowest deck over the engine (the best single rate) instead of having the option for a guarantee and the possibility of moving up a deck or two? Since the best single rate is for the lowest category cabin, it's not like I can do worse with a guarantee. Yet Celeb wants me to pay more so I can be assured of getting the lowest catagory cabin.

I know I could just invent a second person and then say "they couldn't make it" at check-in, but why should I? Not really interested in paying the port taxes for a person who doesn't exist or isn't coming. I know this cruise is insanely inexpensive, but at some point the "principle of the thing" does matter.

I get the hint Celeb, your single rates are always high, now that you're basically punishing those thet might dare to travel on their own. I'll look elsewhere. MSC is looking good, and I can do a similar repo on the Golden Princess for about the same price one week later.

Celebrity rarely offers anything but you pay for two people even if you are a single. On the other hand I believe you are getting misinformation of the port charges. It is my understanding that they do not charge for two port charges, in fact, I believe it might be against the law for them to do so. Someone with more knowledge I am sure will offer even better information.

I've taken 17 cruises as a single and they cannot charge you port taxes for two people. You need to have your TA check on this and get a refund if they charged you the taxes for two.

The treatment of singles has been my only major complaint about Celebrity. With the baby boomers, who tend to have disposible income, aging, they need to become a little more single cruiser friendly. Even if they offered singles to cruise with short notice on unsold cabins, say a month before a cruise departs, at least they're putting one more behind on the ship buying drinks, photos and going on shore excursions. Single cruisers are a huge untapped market and since Celebrity is trying to come in line with the big four luxury lines, they need to address the issue of huge single supplements. The luxury lines like Seabourn and Crystal have great single supplements, and do attract a lot of single cruisers.

I used to get some pretty good single rates (135%) on Celebrity, even in suites but no longer. Now, except for some unpopular itineraries, it's a full 200%. And kitty9 is right about the "luxury" lines' single rates--I recently secured an extended Seabourn cruise at 110%, which, on a per diem basis, is LESS that what I paid for a shared cabin on my most recent Celebrity cruise. Plus, the luxury lines include beverages, cocktails,wine and gratuities, so for singles they are an even better deal.There are only a limited number of single "deals" available on most of these luxury cruises and some work out better than others. But it is worth any single cruiser to do the math (per diem, with extras included) before assuming that they cannot "afford" a luxury cruise.

To each his own I guess.

Singles only on this baby for sure.

f4ca8287.jpg

There's no pool or entertainment either though.......lol

:D :D

Apparently those containers are more roomy than they look;)

With Celebrity being able to fill their ships quite readily at the moment, I would guess the single supplement is here to stay for now.

Phil

Hi Everyone !

One other comment about Singles.....

Previously, as a Single Cruiser....a good way to get around paying double, was to wait for a "Happy Hour Special", which (in most cases) charged 150% for a Single. Not great, but better than usual.

However, in the past few weeks, Most (but not all) of Celebrity's and RCI's "Happy Hours" have been quietly moved up, to 200 % for Singles. So, it looks like even that break for Singles, may be coming to an end.... for now anyway.

When Cruising is hot, as it is right now... I guess these sort of moves are to be expected. It looks like they are looking at EVERY angle to keep bringing in more $$$. Not that we should be surprised.

I agree, I don't think that single people should have to give up the luxury and treatement of X cruises and settle for a "party" ship like Carnival. As a 23 year old Celebrity cruiser, I sometimes wish that there were more pople my age on these ships, but I would never trade the X style of cruising for more people to get a drink with in the evening.

As far as price goes, I agree... the room should have a flat rate for a single or double occupancy.

One other solution is to do what I am doing on Constellation 4/16: I am taking a friend along :

My personal trainer. Paying double but not getting ripped off as a solo.

You need to have a fully compatible companion though! It is a nice thing to do for a good friend or associate.

This trip has qualified for a CC party and I hope some of you will come to it.

Gene in Birmingham

As a sometimes solo cruiser, this thread caught my eye. I've done 2 cruises on HAL as a single, and have a third one book for this coming December.

I'd love to try some other cruise lines like "X" and RCCL, but their policies on single supplements are ridiculous. If HAL only charges me 140%, why do I want to go on another line that charges me 60% more? I really don't think Celebrity or RCCL are that much better than HAL to justify the additional charge.

Roz

Boy, you guys are with me! I've been preaching this sermon for a looonnnggg time. I've written letters, sent petitions, etc. X just does not value the solo cruiser as some lines do. That's why I was so thrilled to hear that MSC has a regular spot on the grid pricing for 'single'! Yea! SOMEONE has noticed us and our bucks!I'm not deserting X, but, boy, you have to work it like a second job to get a good rate! I use singlescruiseresource.com for info. They list the single deals in a once a week newsletter, kind of like yourowncabin used to do before they went out of business. And YOC charged a subscription fee. This new one is free. They list Carnaval, Royal C, X, HAL, Princess, MSC, maybe more. That's just what I remember.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm used to the 200% RCCL/Celebrity charges singles, and if a fare is really deeply discounted (like this cruise) I have only a small issue paying x2 the pp double rate minus one set of port charges. It's not equitable IMHO, but what can you do if you want to try a particular line or like a particular intinerary?

But I've double checked the websites and it's true, for this sailing the fees are all messed up and I can get a cabin for 2 for 10% less than a cabin for one. Not only that, they currently won't even sell an inside cabin to a single, so I would have to pay $160 more for outside than a couple would pay in total. I called celebrity and the agent said "I didn't say that, you did, but the double rate for an outside is $900 total for both total, lowest outside rate for a single is $1061" Ugh! I've seen times when outsides are cheaper than insides due to a booking glitch or special fare, but this is basically discrimination.

Honestly, this is Celebrity's lowest rated ship, my understanding is that Horizon has no stablizers and 3 days are on the Atlantic. Add into the mix Celebrity's distaste for the dreaded single traveller, and I'm outta here! It's a little thing Celebrity, but it's enough to steer me elsewhere.

I'm only 37 so I'm a little reluctant to try HAL, I really want an upgrade from Carnival (While their ships are ugly as sin the follow passengers are easy going and friendly, I ususally have a good time with them) There really is no good upgrade path for single cruiser. What do you do if you want a reasonable fare rate, an active crowd and a bit more sophistication? Choose something other than going on a cruise I guess :-(

Go on and try HAL. I think you will like it. I have not found any ship where there are unattached girls wandering around. If not with hubby or boy friend then in a group of girls.

Gene in Birmingham

This is one of my few persistent pet peeves with Celebrity.

The 200 or 210% charge is bad enough, but then they completely lock singles out of some cruises from time to time, by having the guarantees available for most of the cabin classes, and not even offering any cabin choices once you select the dreaded "1". I tried to book a cruise a week or so ago, selected the "1" and saw "No cabins available". Went back, set it to "2" and up popped about 3 types of guarantees in each type of cabin! :mad:

So, I gave up for the moment. Guess they'd rather sail with those rooms dark than with one person in them. Given that their overhead per a particular cruise is pretty much fixed regardless of passenger load, and that their onboard revenue is dependent on passengers buying stuff, I'd really think they'd be the other way, and think that one passenger in a cabin beats none, but then again, I don't have a MBA.

They do pop a few last minute specials through selected agents for singles from time to time, but traveling like that gets a bit hairy, if you need to schedule time off, coverage, etc.

Oh well, a certain premium line with relatively new smallish boats keeps sending me those 2 for 1 offers, guess I might be sending someone else my money soon :rolleyes:

Robsvaction, I experienced the same frustration with the higher single rate when the Galaxy was sailing out of Baltimore for two years! I would find a great 2 person rate, but whenever I called Celebrity for a single quote, it was always several hundred dollars more than the two person total rate. Time and time again I called to question the lack of sense of the situation; I stated that it was a discriminatory practice, and even threatened to book "Lucy .............." as the second passenger in cabin. Lucy, by the way is my cat, but I figured they would not have to know that and that I would just say she was unable to make the sailing at the last minute because she'd decided she hates water! LOL! Needless to say, I refused to pay that extra few hundred dollars just because it seemed unfair and the principal of it would not allow me to be taken advantage of in that manner. I ended up taking two cruises on another line, even though I really wanted to sail out of Baltimore on the Galaxy.

Davehau, I have had the same experience with being locked out when trying to price a single cabin.... just this week. The sailing I checked on was available for two people, but no cabins were available when I put in one passenger. I am sailing on the Horizon next Friday and was looking for a cruise to book onboard in order to take advantage of the onboard booking credit, but I don't wonder if I am just better off waiting for a Happy Hour Special on the cruises I would like to take. But as Andy mentioned, the 150% supplement seems to be disappearing in the last few weeks. I am anxiously looking forward to hearing more from Gail regarding her MSC sailing since they do offer single rates. And by the way, Davehau, how about sharing a little more about those 2 for 1 offers you have been receiving? :)

Next Friday's sailing will be my fourth on Celebrity in less than a year. One of those sailings was solo. I don't prefer solo travel, but I can't always find someone with the flexibility to travel when I would like to go off on an adventure. However, I might be traveling more often if the single rates were a just a bit friendlier. I do enjoy Celebrity tremendously, but they surely don't make it easy to sail solo. I expressed this sentiment to Jack Williams in an email back in October and stated that there was a potential untapped market in the single cruiser. The next day I received a nice response from corporate guest relations that stated my email had been forwarded to them from Mr. Williams. Below is the text of the response I received to my note addressing my personal observations and suggestions regarding the solo Celebrity traveler:

Dear Ms. __________,

Thank you for your inquiry through the Internet to Mr. Williams' office regarding your previous sailings. Mr. Williams has directed your email to the undersigned to respond on his behalf.

We read with great interest the suggestions on how we may improve our single supplement program and offer additional incentives to frequent cruisers. While we are not certain of the logistics of implementing these suggestions, we have taken the liberty of forwarding them to the appropriate management personnel for review and future consideration. Please be aware that the single supplement rate does vary and, depending on the sailing, may be available for a lower cost to the single traveler. We suggest that our guests contact their travel agent or the Reservations Department directly for the single supplement price for their particular cruise.

Additionally, we are pleased to learn that both of your previous

cruises on the Horizon were enjoyable. Every Celebrity Cruises sailing is orchestrated with the intent of providing our guests with the highest standard of service possible and the most memorable vacation experience. Your kind words are the best reward for these efforts.

Again, Ms. __________, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back onboard one of our ships in the near future.

Suprisingly, I also received a thank you note for sailing on Celebrity in the snail mail the next week...... signed by Mr. Williams, with a future sailing discount certificate enclosed. Perhaps we should all join forces and send individual mail addressing our desire to cruise frequently with rates that are friendlier :) ..... there may be some power gained through correspondence from the masses.:)

Go on and try HAL. I think you will like it. I have not found any ship where there are unattached girls wandering around. If not with hubby or boy friend then in a group of girls.

Gene in Birmingham

Don't know what your definition of a girl is, but I am female and travel solo. Though it won't be on Celebrity any more. The incredible run-around that I got over NLV on Xpedition has soured me on Celebrity for now. Maybe I'll look at them if they come up with an itinerary that no other line is offering. That's what sold me on Xpedition. But for solo, Crystal is my choice. I really like Crystal. Had a sweet deal at 125% for single supplement in May, when my daughter decided that she'd like to go to Paris this summer. So I canceled my Crystal cruise. But I'm intending on going next year on Crystal. I enjoyed their Panama cruise in '99. If I wait for value discounted and put that with the 125%, I get all of Crystal's lovely services for less than Celebrity.

Hey, there was a price drop and now it only costs $50 more for a single traveler than the total for two in double. Way to Celebrity! :p

The question I have is when does this become discrimination? I mean this clearly a company targeting a segment of the population for unfair treatment. If I was booking a hotel and they said "Oh, your a single! We're going to charge you more for your room because you're by yourself and we don't think your room tab will be high enough as one person" I'd flip! That's what Celebrity is doing, and it stinks!

Celebrity has been the line I always wanted to try next. The edgy design of their ships, modern art collections, reputation for better food and innovative things like the Cirque Experience had them high on my list. Now, yuck! I'm leaning towards Princess now, maybe MSC, I see no need to deal with a company that descriminates against me.

robsvacation, some hotels certainly do charge more for single person's traveling alone. Have you ever looked at pre-cruise hotel prices, or overland shore excursion prices? Whenever I've done an overland shore excursion, I've always wondered why singles are charged more for the hotel stay. On Crystal, they always have a price "per couple" and a price for a "single", and it's always much more. And the charge is mostly for the hotel stay. For example, I did a tour of Ankor Wat and the charge per person if you were occupying a double room was $900 for the three days, and the charge for a single was $1200. That's blatent discrimination.

The question I have is when does this become discrimination?

Geeze man,

If you think THAT's descrimination, wait 'till you have kids and are forced to take your vacations aligned with school vacations.

Oooooh so you have kids!!

Wayell, it just so happens that the third week of Feb is 40% more to fly, lodge or anything else you want to do, really sorry, so so sorry...

My advice is either get a girlfriend, a boyfriend, a friend or don't go, it's not a stag party.

It's no different on an airline.

You get a 400# person taking up 2 seats and the airline is supposed to eat a fare?

Pahleeze....

It's a business, every bed represents income period, please stop whining.

MP3,

That was a very rude response, IMO. The reason you or anyone else is charged more during school breaks is not because you have kids, it's due to peak season pricing.

You don't seem to understand that it's not always possible for singletons to find someone to cruise with. I have friends, as do the rest of the singles who've posted to this thread. Sometimes our friends have no interest in cruising, they don't have the money, can't get the time off work, etc.

And your comment about a cruise not being a stag party was uncalled for. We understand the difference. Single does not equal stupid.

Roz

As a point of reference, a hotel rooms costs the same whether it's one person or two people sharing the room.

So, as a solo traveler, I'm screwed everywhere. It frequently stops me from taking lots of week-end trips. My rooms end up costing me $75+ & all the couple traveling with me, pay 1/2 that each. Frustating!

Tauck Tours for the first time, is initiating a single's rate which is less than 200%. I don't recall the details.

Geeze man,

If you think THAT's descrimination, wait 'till you have kids and are forced to take your vacations aligned with school vacations.

Sounds like a choice to me. It's one of the reasons I DON'T have kids!

Wayell, it just so happens that the third week of Feb is 40% more to fly, lodge or anything else you want to do, really sorry, so so sorry...

Who os 'Wayell'?

My advice is either get a girlfriend, a boyfriend, a friend or don't go, it's not a stag party.

Your advice sucks. And what is 'it's not a stag party'? Other than being an outdated phrase that I haven't heard used in years, it's ridiculous. We all have friends we COULD travel with, but why should we have too? I did 11 and 1/3 X cruises last year, solo, and that's what I prefer. To suggest that we travel this way because we don't have friends is insulting.

It's no different on an airline.

You get a 400# person taking up 2 seats and the airline is supposed to eat a fare?

We all know the airline charges for an extra seat BUT if the plane is not full some will refund that supplement back to you.

Pahleeze....

That's what I say about your whole post!

It's a business, every bed represents income period, please stop whining.

But an empty cabin represents NO income. Whining? I thought yours was the only post that reaked of whining!

Sorry kids, I didn't post to be rude or to whine.:eek:

I do understand your situation and am sympathetic.

It's a suck pill nobody likes, just thought I'd share another aspect of getting it tucked to ya.

I am just as frustrated with pricing because of my own personal situation as a vacationing parent/family.

Rob,

Yes it's more from Jan-Mar, but price the 3rd week of Feb sometime, it's sickening.

I have actually flown 2 days earlier to save HUNDREDS, it's not a season it's a week. It happens at Christmas and 3rd week of April also.

I have been vacationing with kids for 10 years now, I speak the troof.

And if you want to compare hotel rooms, compare all inclusive resorts instead.

It's just not the same thing.

My suggestion to travel with somebody was trying to be constructive, not to taunt any of you.

Sorry

I adressed this same topic on the Cunard Board mentioning QM2 single rates - also citing Celebrity's policy as a blatant rip off!

Latest Celeb tale - transatlantic from Galveston - $800 per person for inside GTY($1600 per couple). The single rate is $2320!

Yes you heard that correctly.

I won't be on Celebrity either until this is resolved...I can go to a very nice hotel & spend my $$$$$.

Sorry kids, I didn't post to be rude or to whine.:eek:

I do understand your situation and am sympathetic.

It's a suck pill nobody likes, just thought I'd share another aspect of getting it tucked to ya.

I am just as frustrated with pricing because of my own personal situation as a vacationing parent/family.

Rob,

Yes it's more from Jan-Mar, but price the 3rd week of Feb sometime, it's sickening.

I have actually flown 2 days earlier to save HUNDREDS, it's not a season it's a week. It happens at Christmas and 3rd week of April also.

I have been vacationing with kids for 10 years now, I speak the troof.

And if you want to compare hotel rooms, compare all inclusive resorts instead.

It's just not the same thing.

My suggestion to travel with somebody was trying to be constructive, not to taunt any of you.

Sorry

Apology accepted, but we're not all kids;) ........ I am just a few years shy of getting my AARP card (oh... I can't wait for the discount! :) ) and close to 30 years past getting carded. I will admit that I had to leave my computer and practice quite a bit of self control when I read the your stag party comment. However, I appreciate that you made the effort to make amends.:)

I do understand your frustration about traveling during school vacations since I am a teacher. Last year, I cruised the 2nd and 3rd week of April, the 3rd week of June, and the week of Christmas. I flew for two of those trips, and just like you, initially found that air rates were a bit higher. However, I did manage to find some air deals out there with a little persistence. A 98 dollar one way ticket to Tampa from Norfolk and $350 roundtrip to San Juan (at Christmas) gave me no reason to complain. Yes, having to pay a bit higher fare during those times is frustrating to all of us, but the air rates are usually the same for all of us regardless ... single, married, kids, whatever. I pay the same as you during those peak travel times. Finding an air deal is not based upon marital status, having a travel companion, or being a child..... the playing field in finding the bargain is equally open and level for everyone. If I find air fare that is advertised as a bargain, its not based upon how many are in my travel party or anyone's age. The same goes for you ... if you find the fare and fly alone, you pay the same rate as me ... you and your partner pay double, and you,your partner, and your child pay a triple fare.

As Robsvaction mentioned, this equal and level playing field is not always the case when sailing solo. For example, a rate of $1000 pp on a cruise is $1000 for each person for double occupancy. I don't expect to travel as a single and pay $1000. The single supplement for Celebrity is sometimes 150%, sometimes 175%, sometimes there is none at all, and sometimes you find that the single rate exceeds the double occupancy rate. For example, the frustration arises when the cost for that $1000pp cruise that costs 2 people $2000 prices out at a higher solo rate (sometimes several hundred dollars more) than the total rate for 2 people in the very same cabin. This is very inequitable and seems pretty discriminatory. It's sort of like asking you to pay 300 dollars more for each of your children to travel on the exact same air trip or cruise you are taking than it costs you. Now wouldn't that make you crazy? ;)

Archived