Southern itinerary-best places?

SugarStar00

Ok so...I'm booked! March 25th Caribbean Princess! I can't believe how quickly I decided, not like me at all. Thanks everyone! Super excited and its only 9 months away!:D

You''ll be on our ship a few weeks after our return. Please stay in touch with our non-diver's blog for port info - I think you'll be going to the same ports as we are.

Suzi

Ok so...I'm booked! March 25th Caribbean Princess! I can't believe how quickly I decided, not like me at all. Thanks everyone! Super excited and its only 9 months away!:D

Since you're are going on the same ship and itinerary as us a month earlier (and it's YOUR fault we booked our cruise! :D), you'll have to give us a full report upon your return.

Some times you just have to be spontaneous. I am usually a planner and like to have my vacations booked out at least a year, if not longer, in advance. When we sailed on the CB last month, we booked the cruise 10 days before sailing. Highly unlike me too, but we had a blast and have no regrets. But generally I like to book cruises much more in advance to get the best choice of cabins. We like aft balconies and the last AD mini-suites that are covered on the Emerald deck with the extended balconies. Must book early to grab those!

I vote for the Dutch Antilles - Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao! They are SO clean and friendly. No aggressive salesmen running up to you and SUPERB beaches with the best snorkeling/SCUBA you will ever see! When in Aruba, go on the Jolly Pirates boat, it's fun!:)

I vote for the Dutch Antilles - Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao! They are SO clean and friendly. No aggressive salesmen running up to you and SUPERB beaches with the best snorkeling/SCUBA you will ever see! When in Aruba, go on the Jolly Pirates boat, it's fun!:)

whats the Jolly Pirates boat?

I'm looking to do some off shore snorkeling, I'd like to parasail and also see some beautiful beaches, writing down suggestions for Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada and St. Lucia.

St Lucia.....whale watching with Hackshaw Boats. We have done it for 9 years in a row and it is one of the highlights of our cruise. I charter the boat and then get a group together from our roll call. It is a full day, and includes snorkeling, lunch, visiting the Pitons, and whale watching.

Dominica....the river tubing is wonderful

Bonaire...as stated previously, the snorkeling at Kleine Bonaire is fantastic.

whats the Jolly Pirates boat?

I'm looking to do some off shore snorkeling, I'd like to parasail and also see some beautiful beaches, writing down suggestions for Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada and St. Lucia.

Here's their site: http://www.jolly-pirates.com/

Every time we go to Aruba, we sail with them and have a great time!

Bill :)

Bonaire, for all the reasons mentioned, plus there is no Diamonds International there!!:) Its still a sweet, sleepy little island that has not been taken over by American companies.

Curacao I could live on. Beyond beautiful, fascinating culture and warm, friendly people.

Bonaire was fantastic. I wasn't able to snorkel since I didn't have my nerve up yet (Grenada came later), but I definitely will go back to snorkel there.

In Bonnaire we did a shore snorkel with Rene. She is a South African ex pat who has been there 30 years. It was an astonishing couple of hours. She was in the water with us helping my sister who was very nervous about snorkeling. There were just the two of us, her max is 4-5 people. Cost was very reasonable. After this session my sister was a complete convert. Rene provided the gear as well and it was better quality that the usual rental gear. We would go with her again any time, but we are ready for Klien Bonaire now too! Cannot recommend it highly enough.

I had been to Curacao and Aruba many times but last winter CB went to BONAIRE .WE went snorkeling ....WOW is all I can say WE took a boat to KLEIN BONAIRE IT was AWESOMe

I love Curacao It is beautiful GREAT shopping

The Baths at Virgin Gorda from Tortola is wonderful too

Dominica and Champagne reef a Hoot

The Southern Carib is my favorite place Hope to return soon

Michele

Check out of Miami also. We are going on a 10 day to Souther Carib in Novermber on NCL Dawn. Samana DR, Tortola, St Maarten, St John's Barbados St Kitts. For me it a convience since i live in Miami, I booked first out of San Juan and canceled it to leave out of Miami.

This is the exact cruise i did last year!! :)

When i win the lottery i want to live in tortola or st kitts i dont mind which i am not fussy! ;)

The only port i wasnt so keen on was Samana this was my first time travelling that far (i am in the UK) and got a bit freaked out by sales people and men carrying guns:eek: when we docked in Samana but fortunatly some wonderful friends (USA and Canada) i met on here were on hand to reasssure me and convinced me to continue on our booked shore excursion which was lovely,

Have a fab cruise Melissa x:)

In Bonnaire we did a shore snorkel with Rene. She is a South African ex pat who has been there 30 years. It was an astonishing couple of hours. She was in the water with us helping my sister who was very nervous about snorkeling. There were just the two of us, her max is 4-5 people. Cost was very reasonable. After this session my sister was a complete convert. Rene provided the gear as well and it was better quality that the usual rental gear. We would go with her again any time, but we are ready for Klien Bonaire now too! Cannot recommend it highly enough.

I had heard about her on CC and tried to book her about 6 months ahead of the cruise but she was already booked. I was very disappointed because I felt I could have managed to learn with someone like her. I would recommend anyone who is interested to call right away to book her.

We were in Aruba and Curacao last november. We liked it because you can see a bit of Dutch culture there, different than places like Granada or St Kitts etc. But I also heard that other passengers weren't impressed with these islands, because they are not that lush and tropical.

St Lucia.....whale watching with Hackshaw Boats. We have done it for 9 years in a row and it is one of the highlights of our cruise. I charter the boat and then get a group together from our roll call. It is a full day, and includes snorkeling, lunch, visiting the Pitons, and whale watching.

Dominica....the river tubing is wonderful

Bonaire...as stated previously, the snorkeling at Kleine Bonaire is fantastic.

Another thumbs up for the river tubing in Dominica. I just did it in April of this year on a Sea Princess cruise and it was the most fun I've ever had on an excursion. Dominica was beautiful and our guides were fantastic.

• 2 months later...
I've been on two cruises, western and eastern caribbean and now I'd like to do a southern caribbean cruise, but not sure which places to head to. I'm seeing itineraries with aruba, bonaire, curacao, dominican, st.kitts, st.lucia, antigua etc. I can't do them all, so just curious what everyone's favorite southern caribbean islands are. Also, what are people experiences leaving from Puerto Rico? I'm intimidated to fly into there, but it seems like I can see more islands if I go that route. Please share your thoughts!

ps we are looking to go end of March 2012 if that make a difference.

Thanks!

Bonaire hands down! Although to get the most out of this island you're going to have to get wet, it rates #4 as the top dive/snorkeling sites of the world. Snorkeling in Bonaire is like diving into a salt water aquarium. My favorite island! :D I look for any itinerary that has Bonaire on it that's for sure.

Aruba is good too, lovely beaches and you can do Aruba very inexpensively. Just hop on a #10 bus (bus terminal is across from the cruise port) and head towards Malmok for Eagle, Malmok, or Arashi Beach. The bus will stop along the way. The bus runs pretty much hourly. You can look at maps in the terminal for the exact schedule. The cost round trip will run between $2 and $3 per person. Time traveling from Oranjestad terminal to beach will be about 10 minutes to a half hour depending on traffic and where you get off at.

We are doing these 2 islands again in November and I absolutely cannot wait! :D :D

Archived