Which ship do you prefer?

honkanen

There will probably be my sister and her family along with me and my family on a 3 - 5 night cruise. We may have an option of either: Westerdam, Statendam, Oosterdam or Zuiderdam.

Which ship is your favorite? Us adults are in our 30s and all of us are non-smokers and rarely drink at all.

Thanks!

Two different sized ships with slightly different layouts. We liked the Zuiderdam as a larger Vista class ship because the main dining room food was the best we have had on a HAL ship (6/10) and perferred the decor over what we found on the Oosterdam.

We liked the Statendam mainly because it was smaller and love the location of the Explorations Cafe on a lower deck which is our favorite down time hang out spot than found on the larger Zuiderdam.

But we also loved the lower end suite cabins on the Zuiderdam which are a cross between a verandah and the higher priced Neptune Lounge suite prices.

But bottom line, we will alway pick one of the smaller HAL ships like the Statendam because of its size and layout - and fewer people in port and often with the more unique itineraries. We have had 100% good luck on all our HAL ships: Maasdam, Rotterdam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam and Statendam.

(Our favorite ship so far has been the Maasdam, but we also hear the Ryndam is good too which is coming up for our next cruise - both smaller ships)

haven't been on the Statendam yet - but, have been on both the Ooesterdam and the Zuiderdam. Both nice ships and enjoyed both cruises. Of those two, I would probably choose the Zuiderdam, but I would gladly cruise on either one:D

The Statendam is the only ship in the S class, interestingly the first ship in the class and thus the "S", that we've not been on yet so I can't specifically address the ship but love her sister ships. Since the S and the R class ships are our favorites I'd look to book the Statendam before any of the others.

You pays your money and takes your pick. :)

Statendam is the smallest. Perhaps more intimate. The others are bigger but with similar "feel".

There is no correct answer to your question.

It is a delightful choice you have to make though.

We like Westerdam. Check out the Statendam posts. I am certain that it is a great ship however there have been a number of posts about on going issues with HVAC and plumbing...this on might be a bit of a crap shoot.

I looked up those shorter repositioning cruises these 4 ships do in September/October.

Worth noting that while all start in Vancouver and end in San Diego -

- Westerdam stops in Astoria Oregon from noon to 8 p.m.

- Zuiderdam stops in Astoria Oregon from noon to 6 p.m.

- Statendam stops in Victoria B.C. from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.

- Oosterdam stops in Victoria B.C. from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

I'd lean towards Oosterdam to visit Butchart Gardens at leisure (gardens don't open until 9 a.m.)

Also, the cabin category you plan on booking would affect which ship I'd "like" best for you. IMO, there are more large, pleasant inside cabins on Statendam than on any of the other 3 (Vista ships). Arguably, same can be said of outside (no balcony).

OTOH, the Vista ships have more balcony cabins and at lower prices. And, the partly obstructed view cabins on Upper Promenade deck are the same size as balcony cabins, just without the balcony.

If there will be more than 2 people per cabin, I would only consider the J insides on Main deck or else a balcony cabin (or higher, SZ - SA) for any of the 3 Vista ships. For 3 or 4 people, there are quite a variety of good cabins in different categories on Statendam.

But I'm probably over-thinking things, aren't I?

P.S. - Statendam now shows as "sold out" for the Sept. 25 cruise, just in the few minutes since I started posting.

that we didn't like. They are all well maintained and the cabin and ding staff are excellent. We just need to find cruises that leave from Florida on different ships as so many are repeated year after year.

Archived