Alitalia to Rome

cruisedave

We try to avoid Alitalia whenever possible. We have had several flights with them in the past.

You should look at that flight closely. It could be that it is a codeshare and operated by another airline. If this is the case then I would consider it.

When we fly to Italy we look at this closely as once we almost booked a flight on another airline but noticed at the last minute that it was a codeshare operated by Alitalia. Fortunately there was another alternative at a similar price point.

I have chosen not to fly this airline and agree with the reply you received when you asked this on tripadvisor. Read some reviews and make your decision.

The only reply I got on Tripadvisor is that the pope likes it. That doesn't help me much however I'm leaning in the direction of staying away from them. I still have not gotten feedback for people who have flown them recently.

I flew them last fall from Chicago (ORD) to Rome (FCO) on a non-stop flight for a transatlantic cruise. It worked out perfectly fine for me, but I am just one person (so do not base too much of your decision on my one experience). The check in person at the luggage counter at ORD was friendly. The plane was clean. The flight attendants were reasonably friendly. The food was good (for airplane food) and they frequently came by with beverages (in coach). We arrived early (thanks to a massive tail wind), my luggage arrived in a timely manner and in good shape. When I was having trouble using a payphone to contact my hotel (they have a shuttle, but you need to call them when you land) the Alitalia information desk at FCO was very helpful and made the call to the hotel on my behalf.

Prior to my flight I was concerned because of the negative reviews, but happily everything went smoothly for me.

Don't they have some direct non-stop flights to FCO? (I know that was not the question, but we will need a one way flight to Rome next year).

We have lots of FFmiles. Unless there has been a change, US Airways, Lufthansa, and SWISS I believe will all charge miles for a round trip.

Who is affiliated with American?

Who is affiliated with American?

This Septmeber I am on a flight ORD to FCO ticketed through Iberia Airlines, but it is code shared and operated by American Airlines. I believe that AA is also partnered with British Airways in terms of European carriers.

We flew Alitalia nonstop round trip Chicago-Rome in April. We had avoided Alitalia in the past, but we were impressed by them.

The main meal each way was fabulous! The flights were on time and the crew and airport staff we encountered were friendly and efficient.

We lucked out and had very light flights. On the way to Rome, every person in coach had 2 or 4 seats to themselves! (We had 4 seats each.). On the way home, almost everyone has 2 or 3 seats. I know that was an anomaly, but it was fabulous to be able to lay down in coach both ways. The FAs could have insisted that everyone stay in their assigned seats, but they encouraged people to spread out and be comfortable.

The only downside was the 18 pound carryon limit. But I was aware of that and packed accordingly. (People often ask this on here and yes they did weigh the carryons.)

We look forward to flying Alitalia again.

My husband and I flew with them this April 2011, Florence-Rome-Miami round trip. For us, Alitalia is a decent airline. The food was good with free wine. The service was also good for both ground and air.

On the way from Rome-Miami, we arrived in Miami with a plenty of time before scheduled time. On the way back to Rome, the flight delayed for 15 minute, but we arrived in Rome just 5 minutes delay from scheduled time. Transit in Rome to take another flight to Florence was very easy too. We passed the immigration to the gate in other building in less than 30 minutes.

I heard that Alitalia has got the new management team a couple year ago since the last bankruptcy news. It seems that the new team is doing much better than the last one. We would fly with them again.

...(I know that was not the question, but we will need a one way flight to Rome next year).

We have lots of FFmiles. Unless there has been a change, US Airways, Lufthansa, and SWISS I believe will all charge miles for a round trip...

To FCO from where?

Which airline's FF miles? The three carriers you mention are Star Alliance partners, along with United, Continental, and several others. You can book 1-way award tickets with them (half the round-trip miles), but only through United Reservations with UA miles, last time I checked. Suggestion: call UA reservations and ask them.

If you have AAdvantage miles you can book 1-way award travel, through AA Reservations, on most OneWorld partners and AA code shares. For example, I recently booked BOS-MAD-LIS on Iberia, using AAdvantage miles - 0nly 20,000 off season.

To FCO from where?

Which airline's FF miles? The three carriers you mention are Star Alliance partners, along with United, Continental, and several others. You can book 1-way award tickets with them (half the round-trip miles), but only through United Reservations with UA miles, last time I checked. Suggestion: call UA reservations and ask them.

If you have AAdvantage miles you can book 1-way award travel, through AA Reservations, on most OneWorld partners and AA code shares. For example, I recently booked BOS-MAD-LIS on Iberia, using AAdvantage miles - 0nly 20,000 off season.

Star Alliance carriers now allow booking a *A one-way reward for something in the region of 60% of of what a return would be. I can book a UA/LH/LX/whoever from the Aeroplan (AC) website, and they're all around 40,000 one way to europe (60k for a return)

Star Alliance carriers now allow booking a *A one-way reward for something in the region of 60% of of what a return would be. I can book a UA/LH/LX/whoever from the Aeroplan (AC) website, and they're all around 40,000 one way to europe (60k for a return)

Thanks. I'd missed that alternative.

I recently booked Lisbon-Munich-Boston on TAP/LH for next March for 27,500 United miles. I booked with UA Reservations by phone, so I had to pay the phone booking fee, but this still appears to be the best alternative using UA miles.

Bob

To FCO from where?

We have a lot of US Airways miles. Last time we checked there was no one way award travel, but I understand that may have changed.

We can also transfer points from Starwoods. We are going from JFK to Santiago next year, and it only cost us 20,000 miles each on LAN (booked through American)! So, we know about that deal. Is there anything like that one way to FCO? We will need flights for the end of November 2012, again off season.

Archived